Bike won't start - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-01-2017, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Exclamation Bike won't start

I wonder if anyone can help me here.
I have a 2012 k1600gt very happy with the bike.
Last week I purchased a BMW motorrad navigator IV GPS, I plugged it in and it works like a charm. Connects to the main system, everything perfect.
This morning I went to start the bike... nothing. My house has a steep driveway, I tried to jumpstart... nothing.
Foolishly(?) I tried to jumpstart the bike with a set of leads from the car... still nothing.
Managed (with help) to get the bike back up the driveway and into the garage, pulled the battery out (10 months old nano- gel) put it on the charger it's currently reading 13.8v.
I'm hoping the gps thing is purely coincidental, but what the heck is going on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-01-2017, 08:45 PM

Garage
That's odd....I don't see how the GPS could draw down the battery. It does have its own battery that charges when the bike is on, but the bike shuts down the power to GPS when it's off. When you tried jumping, did it turn over and not start or did it not turn over either?
Erickwb likes this.

I honestly try to not ride faster than my guardian angel can fly , however....I know it's pooped by end of the ride
post #3 of 18 Old 01-01-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
When I tried to roll start, it did not even look like attempting a kick over. After the jump start failed, the bike went completely dead. I looked up the instruction manual, and read that using jumperleads to start the bike may result in damage. I hope I haven't killed the thing.

post #4 of 18 Old 01-01-2017, 09:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erickwb View Post
When I tried to roll start, it did not even look like attempting a kick over. After the jump start failed, the bike went completely dead. I looked up the instruction manual, and read that using jumperleads to start the bike may result in damage. I hope I haven't killed the thing.
That's where I was going with my question. I wanted to hear you say the bike turned over but would not start... Having nothing happen tells me that a circuit has been opened. Hopefully the CANbus system has a protective relay. I wish I knew more, good luck.
Erickwb likes this.

I honestly try to not ride faster than my guardian angel can fly , however....I know it's pooped by end of the ride
post #5 of 18 Old 01-01-2017, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Unfortunately my mechanic is still away for another week, so I may need to be patient. I just hope the bill doesn't have too many zeros!
ResQU likes this.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-02-2017, 02:37 AM

What does the battery drop to underload?
Erickwb likes this.

"Enterprise" 2011 K1600 GT

The ultimate outback tourer.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-02-2017, 03:02 AM

Garage
with a charged battery connected to the bike does
power on bring up lighting / horn / brake circuits, do the controls operate as normal

you depress the start button does the bike crank over (two green relays at the front of the seat, swap them over)

does the bike attempt to fire

what happens when you toggle the alarm
Erickwb likes this.

R80/7RT / K75RT / R1200RT / K1600 GTL - in the U.K.
Also Rans ( Honda C90 & CD175 & CX500 & ST1100, Suzuki GT250 (J) & X7, Puch Maxi), Coveted Honda CBX, Yamaha Martini XS 1300 & FS1E, Kawasaki Z900, Z1000 & Z650, Quasar, Suzuki GT750
post #8 of 18 Old 01-02-2017, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Turns out my battery of just 9 months old has died. It shows fully charged, but has no crank capacity.
I only hope that my attempt to jumpstart the bike from the car hasn't fried anything.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-02-2017, 07:06 AM

Garage
Sounds like a main fuse/relay has blown, following the attempted jump start. I am as mystified as Mole on what else works, if anything, so maybe you can enlighten us idc. What was the battery voltage showing when first pulled?

Turning to the underlying issue, there just has to be parasitic drain going on somewhere. Always worth checking for fault codes before trying to second guess the problem. The usual culprits are after-market accessories, otherwise the SatNav or Alarm system seem the most likely.

Sometimes, usually on GSs in my experience, the power to the Nav cradle can go rogue & leave the unit & cradle permanently powered up - any over-run time after switching off the ignition should be no more than 1 minute max & can be adjusted through the canbus. Sometimes the cradle itself has corrosion on the contacts too allowing drain even when nothing is mounted, usually due to failing to replace the protective contacts cover &/or the '6' emblem. Here, I am not clear whether the bike has ever been run with a Nav IV installed in it's 4 years of life, until recently?

Then there is the alarm unit - always the provider of a small drain, but should drop into a sleep pattern after a day or so to help protect the battery. This needs expertise & time to check out.

Just a few thoughts. Good luck sorting the problem ........................ KEN
Erickwb likes this.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-02-2017, 01:56 PM

Garage
Do you have a trickle charger even a simple one like the Battery Tender brand? While you are waiting for your mechanic to get back you could try putting the battery on that charger for a few days or until the green light comes on steady then give the bike another start up try.
Erickwb likes this.

2012 Mineral Silver GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page