Newbie (sort of) from Fritch, Tx - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 10-23-2016, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Newbie (sort of) from Fritch, Tx

Greetings from the far side all; I just signed up this morning. I thought I had signed up a few years ago when the 1600 first came out, but maybe that was another site. Although new here, I have been riding since 1968 when I started on a Honda 90. I eventually graduated up the scale to an R75/6 in 1977. Unfortunately, had to sell that one in 1980 after ~50K miles. It took nearly 20 years, but I got back in the saddle in April of 2000 and started making up for lost time. I now have a nice variety of older bikes in the stable and am seeking to learn more about the 1600; primarily to see if there is a reasonable and safe way to lower it. I have a 27" inseam, build my own seats, have lowered two RTs, a 1200C and an 1100S. I also have pretty good experience with being on the balls of my feet and realize there is no need to be flat-footed to enjoy a taller bike so long as I can feel relatively comfortable at stops. I'm nearing retirement and have been thinking a more luxurious ride might be in order. Looking forward to seeing what others have to share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-23-2016, 08:36 AM
cdc

Garage
Welcome to the site. Lots of good 'biased' information here about a fantastic bike....

ⓒⓓⓒ - Camilo D. (kah-MEE-lo)

'13 K1600 GT - Apr. 5/13
'12 K1600 GT Gone Nov 16/12 - http://goo.gl/96Q6rZ
'06 FJR 1300AE Sold
'04 Suzuki SV650 Sold
'82 Suzuki 500GS Sold
'78 Yamaha SR500 Sold

post #3 of 18 Old 10-23-2016, 08:40 AM

Garage
Welcome, you picked the right bike to retire on.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

post #4 of 18 Old 10-23-2016, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah, just have to convince my wife there really does need to be a bigger two-up touring bike in the garage next to the others. She doesn't seem to believe in the N+1 concept.
post #5 of 18 Old 10-23-2016, 09:15 AM

Garage
Welcome from a fellow Texan. You will love the K16. I am not familiar with lower the bike, lots of info on using low seats narrowe in front to attain a lower riding position.

Roland
"The Eyes of Texas are Upon You" except those in cages talking on the phone, texting, reading newspapers, applying makeup, scratching their n*ts, ................................................

16 R1200 GSA
15 GTL
17 CVO Limited
post #6 of 18 Old 10-23-2016, 09:20 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum cruisintx. You might want to take a test ride or two on one of the k1600's and you might be surprised at how low the seat is. Particularly on the GTL with the low seat. It might work for you, expecially if you modify your own seats.

Clay
2012 GTL
2003 LT
2001 Harley T-Sport
2001 Harley T-Sport (crashed @ Tortilla Flats)
post #7 of 18 Old 10-23-2016, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooddog View Post
Welcome to the forum cruisintx. You might want to take a test ride or two on one of the k1600's and you might be surprised at how low the seat is. Particularly on the GTL with the low seat. It might work for you, expecially if you modify your own seats.
Only problem with that is from the time I sat on a 2011 in Santa Fe and had to decline the test ride because I knew there was no way I could keep the bike upright at stops due to having to point both feet straight down with the bike sitting straight up. With only the tips of my toes touching the ground I did not think it would be wise to drop a $30K bike on a test ride. And that is why I'm seeking advice here from someone who may have already done what I need to do.
post #8 of 18 Old 10-23-2016, 09:29 PM

Garage
I use Santa Fe as well. Next time you are there explain to Chris what you need. He is a good guy and can probably hook you up with a low seat. Then take a little test drive down Cerillos Road. You'll be hooked.

Roland
"The Eyes of Texas are Upon You" except those in cages talking on the phone, texting, reading newspapers, applying makeup, scratching their n*ts, ................................................

16 R1200 GSA
15 GTL
17 CVO Limited
post #9 of 18 Old 10-23-2016, 09:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
I use Santa Fe as well. Next time you are there explain to Chris what you need. He is a good guy and can probably hook you up with a low seat. Then take a little test drive down Cerillos Road. You'll be hooked.
What he said

Clay
2012 GTL
2003 LT
2001 Harley T-Sport
2001 Harley T-Sport (crashed @ Tortilla Flats)
post #10 of 18 Old 10-23-2016, 10:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc View Post
Welcome to the site. Lots of good 'biased' information here about a fantastic bike....
Come on, we are not biased, we are just convinced that this is the best of all worlds. Don't confuse a newbie..........

'You know that the world is going to h$ll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
1967 HD FL Police

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page