K1600 GT - Which year has less issues? looking to buy - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 Old 12-28-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdurr View Post
Thank you all guys!

However, the more I read and learn about it, the more I wonder; a pull to the left? How much would you say it pulls? Is it noticeable, and what's worse, is it incurable? I've never had a bike pull to one side or the other on new tires. Sounds like the frames may have a build defect?

Would love to hear more from you about this issues, since i love touring with very relaxed hands / arms.
I have two GTL's. None have ever pulled EXCEPT exceptionally HARD FORWARD!
You will drive yourself insanely batty by searching all type of complaints. This is true with ANY brand, Honda, Harley, Yamaha, etc.

Just go to a dealer and do a free TEST ride when you are truly ready. Or if you plan on buying used, give it a critical TEST ride it.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTLE EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
Smokin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 12-28-2016, 01:58 PM

my late model 15 has been flawless so far I would look at the later years

Scott
All gone:
R1200RT LC, R1200 GS ADV, K1200 LT, R1150 GS ADV, ST1300s, R100 GSs, R1100 RSs, R100GS/PD
post #13 of 26 Old 12-28-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdurr View Post
Thank you all guys!

However, the more I read and learn about it, the more I wonder; a pull to the left? How much would you say it pulls? Is it noticeable, and what's worse, is it incurable? I've never had a bike pull to one side or the other on new tires. Sounds like the frames may have a build defect?

Would love to hear more from you about this issues, since i love touring with very relaxed hands / arms.
In the beginning some pulled very hard and people were angry. Not as much anymore. Both of mine are good but if your looking for a used one I would check for it and skip it if it does pull. There are quite a few threads on it. Here is one. Why Does the K Pull to the Left?

Rick
2012 K1600GT (smashed)
2015 K1600GT

post #14 of 26 Old 12-28-2016, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick92040 View Post
In the beginning some pulled very hard and people were angry. Not as much anymore. Both of mine are good but if your looking for a used one I would check for it and skip it if it does pull. There are quite a few threads on it. Here is one. Why Does the K Pull to the Left?
Awesome Rick, I will read the thread for sure. It is definitely an interesting topic. I will, as the last posted mentioned, look at newer years ('15 and up) for a used one, since i've seen mentions that there's barely any pull on those models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
I have two GTL's. None have ever pulled EXCEPT exceptionally HARD FORWARD!
You will drive yourself insanely batty by searching all type of complaints. This is true with ANY brand, Honda, Harley, Yamaha, etc.

Just go to a dealer and do a free TEST ride when you are truly ready. Or if you plan on buying used, give it a critical TEST ride it.
Thanks for your reply SmokinJoe; I disagree respectfully; I'm not searching for all type of complaints, but rather trying to make an educated decision on a costly investment. I know that for some people 15k is small change but for me it represents a few years of saving, so I want to make sure i'm buying the right product. It all is a matter of perspective I will however follow your advice to the T., and do a test ride for sure.
post #15 of 26 Old 12-28-2016, 04:31 PM

I had a GTL manufactured in 2011 and it was a great bike, no problems. I had a GT manufactured in early 2012 and it was a great bike with no problems. I currently have a 2016 GT that is a great bike but too new to know if it will have any problems. When I rode home from the dealer after swapping out the 2012 for the 2016 I could not tell the difference. Both shifted great, had no pull and were excellent rides. I ride quite a bit with a gentleman who has a GT built late in 2012 and it has not had any problems.

You will see many of the challenges noted on the 2012's were very real to those who had them and it would be very frustrating if you were one of those folks. I do feel bad for them but if you look at the number of folks who posted with problems, not the number of post you will see there are not high numbers of problems.

Though I found no improvement in feel of the 2016 to my earlier models some have. Some very credible members of this forum found the shifting feel better from 2013 forward. This does not imply earlier models were bad and it would not scare me from buying an earlier model, especially if the price was right but there were changes in 2013. Switches needing to be updated was real but mostly taken care of through BMW as were weeping water pumps. Some did weep fluid, few were issues that would leave you stranded.

Shop well and enjoy the process. It is an amazing bike whatever year you end up with.
post #16 of 26 Old 12-28-2016, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick92040 View Post
I think you just need to find one in your price range that's been taken care of. I had my first GT for 4 years and had only one thing fail and was covered by the warinty. The handle bar switches were replaced on it because of the recall but they were working. My new one has had nothing wrong.
If you find one ride it to see if it pulls left. (don't get that one)
Look at the exhaust tips to see if one side is darker than the other (don't get that one)
Ask if the switches have been replaced and the last time the code was updated. (within the last year is important)
Ask how much oil it uses in 6k (less than 1/4 quart) and if the water pump has been replaced (no big deal)
And all the other normal stuff (tires, brakes, battery, has it been dropped..etc)
You might consider one that still has some of its 3 year warinty left and get an extended warinty for peace of mind.
Ricki,
What would be the caveat in 'pulling to the left'...mine used to pull to the left, the one kaput-on-the-fork on me.

...If it wasn't for a Supernova, I wouldn't even be here...
post #17 of 26 Old 12-29-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTer View Post
Ricki,
What would be the caveat in 'pulling to the left'...mine used to pull to the left, the one kaput-on-the-fork on me.
If your asking me what can cause it I have no idea.

Rick
2012 K1600GT (smashed)
2015 K1600GT
post #18 of 26 Old 12-29-2016, 03:26 PM

Until it was mentioned in a very early thread about "pulling to the left" I never noticed it on my 2012 GTL. I then took it out on the road and found that it did, very slightly if I took my hands off of the handlebars. Not sure why anyone would want to do that, but it did. I then started to think about what was on the bike and the crown of the road and the next time I tried, in the center lane, with nothing in the side compartments, she seemed to ride straight with my hands off of the handlebars. So, for me, it was another non issue..

Keep your bike clean, ride in the center or else, keep your hands on the handlebars.

Back to the popcorn....
Brick likes this.

2012 Grey K1600GTL
Tampa, Florida
post #19 of 26 Old 12-30-2016, 10:12 AM
JR3

FWIW I bought a 2013 GT back in the spring for my first BMW or K16. Bought from dealer in Greenville SC (hat tip to Thomas at Touring Sport) after I saw it at the Tame the Dragon ride with fellow forum members. I was on a Harley. The GT had 15K miles on it and had already had the water pump replaced if I recall correctly and was still under warranty. I purchased an extra 2 years of full factory warranty from the dealer for under $700. I have only put about 8K miles on it since, but zero problems thus far, and I expect none since I bought the extended warranty.

I second locating a well maintained low mileage unit. From what I hear...the bulk of switch and water pump issues were from the 12s. Might avoid 2012 models...but if you find one with records of having switch and pump replaced followed by good service since, even then maybe a 12 would do nicely.

Jim
post #20 of 26 Old 12-31-2016, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR3 View Post
FWIW I bought a 2013 GT back in the spring for my first BMW or K16. Bought from dealer in Greenville SC (hat tip to Thomas at Touring Sport) after I saw it at the Tame the Dragon ride with fellow forum members. I was on a Harley. The GT had 15K miles on it and had already had the water pump replaced if I recall correctly and was still under warranty. I purchased an extra 2 years of full factory warranty from the dealer for under $700. I have only put about 8K miles on it since, but zero problems thus far, and I expect none since I bought the extended warranty.

I second locating a well maintained low mileage unit. From what I hear...the bulk of switch and water pump issues were from the 12s. Might avoid 2012 models...but if you find one with records of having switch and pump replaced followed by good service since, even then maybe a 12 would do nicely.
Awesome! All great pieces of advice, thanks guys! I'm starting to lean towards a K1600GT, probably a 2013 onwards, likely with low km's, and for sure I will buy the extended warranty, if i can figure out how to make the Toronto, Ontario dealerships to honour it!... Sheesh, I'm all worked up now, cannot wait until i get it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page