K1600 GT - Which year has less issues? looking to buy - Page 3 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 Old 01-08-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
I had a 2013 that had the switch problem twice, and the water pump start dripping at 28,000 miles. That's it. The good news is that the common problems were fixed by BMW and they authorize their dealers to fix the switch problems even if they never have a problem. When you take it in for service they will tell you they are going to do it an no charge. I have a 2015 now that has been flawless in 11,000 miles.

I think the bottom line is that most any year is likely to be okay - as much as any used vehicle can be. The most concerning problem would be the piston "land" crack. That has happened on a few bikes, but VERY few. And it was on early bikes only as best as I can tell. I think it's one of those things that if it is going happen it would have by now.

The good news and bad news is that used 1600s are pretty cheap. As unbelievable as this sounds, when I traded my 2013 with 31,000 miles on it they gave me $14,000 for it and a great deal on my new bike. I thought that was a little low. Was I ever wrong. That was 15 months ago and they still have it. I just happened to look at their site this morning and they are advertising it for way below what they gave me for the bike - under $12,000. That is a steal and the bike was immaculately cared for and had every service done by the selling dealer. Anyone interested, its the dealer on the south side of Houston.

I forgot to mention, both of my bikes pulled to the left. The 15 is better but definitely does it. Between the two bikes I'm at 42,000 miles, and I did tell you I'm on my second one - right? So that tells you how much the pull bothers me.
Was your bike the dark grey one with around 31,000 miles that was being sold for $11,999? If so I just purchased it but have yet to pick it up due to the weather yesterday and an opportunity to see the Texans game live last minute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 Old 01-08-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCaskey View Post
Was your bike the dark grey one with around 31,000 miles that was being sold for $11,999? If so I just purchased it but have yet to pick it up due to the weather yesterday and an opportunity to see the Texans game live last minute.
Yes. That is it. You got a **** of a bike for the money. I called them yesterday. I have a spare key that I will get to them this week. I do not have the manuals.

2015 BMW K1600GT - Black Storm Metallic
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale ABS
2016 BMW S1000r
Second 1600 GT. Put 32,000 miles on a 2013 before trading for the 2015.
post #23 of 26 Old 01-08-2017, 07:57 PM

K1600 GT - Which year has less issues? looking to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdurr View Post
Hi Guys, and thank you for taking the time to read my first post. I'm looking for advice on buying my first K1600 GT, and I wonder if anyone can tell me, out of the years it has been in production, which one is the one with the least issues.

I will admit that i come from a Japanese bike perspective (Honda VFR700, Yamaha VMAX1200 2003, and Yamaha VMAX 2007). After the last trip Toronto (canada) to Miami and back (roughly 3700 km - took the long way), i've decided i need to tour with a bit more comfort. The vmax has been a phenomenal machine, never an issue in 30000km, super easy to maintain, powerful and extremely reliable; some may argue that the handling is funky, but it was a solid machine throughout the years i'v had it. However, now there's a "missus" in the picture, and i'm looking to travel 2-up. Also the luggage on the VMAX was the "ol' bags + bungee cords"

I've been reading the internet forums and learning about the several issues with water pumps, switches, transmissions, pull to the left (????), oil leaks, starter clutches, etc., and i must confess it is starting to scare me quite a bit. I live in Toronto, Canada. I was planning to get a used 2012, but after reading about issues on it, being without a warranty scares me even more. I wouldn't have thought that Motorrad's BMW stands for the same thing as the auto division..."Brake My Wallet". I've seen friends owning BMW cars with a bucket load of issues, so i'm hoping there may be a better model year to get? Maybe a 2016?

Would love to get your advice on this. I have looked at Concours1400 (seems to be a brick with a rocket attached to it), the FJR (great bang for buck, but not my cup of tea), even the Goldwing F6B (underpowered IMHO).

Look forward to your input!

Thanks guys, and I hope I didn't offend anyone

Jeremy

Stay away from 2016 models. Mine keeps running out of gas! Great bikes!
amorley likes this.

Last edited by 16K16GT; 01-08-2017 at 08:07 PM.

post #24 of 26 Old 01-09-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
Yes. That is it. You got a **** of a bike for the money. I called them yesterday. I have a spare key that I will get to them this week. I do not have the manuals.
Much appreciated...Thank you Sir!
jjscsix likes this.
post #25 of 26 Old 01-10-2017, 11:32 PM

I'm in a similar situation, jerdurr; I love the passion this bike seems to stir in people... but paranoid about picking up a bike with one of the issues. I can appreciate the passion this bike stirs in people, but to see people say all bikes have such issues makes me wonder what other bikes they've owned.
post #26 of 26 Old 01-11-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
I'm in a similar situation, jerdurr; I love the passion this bike seems to stir in people... but paranoid about picking up a bike with one of the issues. I can appreciate the passion this bike stirs in people, but to see people say all bikes have such issues makes me wonder what other bikes they've owned.
I hope the statement about all bikes having problems did not imply all K1600's or all of other bikes folks have owned are riddled with problems we overlook because we are so loyal to the bike. I think it was more to point out forums are ripe with folks venting problems and often those who have had problems are quite vocal and vent early and often. This is not necessarily a bad thing as it can be a useful way to get problems addressed but on a bike like the K1600 I think it unfairly taints what is generally an outstanding bike.

There was a time I was looking to transition from my VFR800 to a more comfortable sport touring bike like what was then the recently released Honda ST1300 and Yamaha's FJR1300. When I poured over those forums there was no way I would buy either of those bikes. There were all kinds of reports of folks who could not understand how the quality control could be so poor or engineers so foolish. I found it odd as most published reviews were quite happy with the bikes. After waiting on the sidelines for a couple of years I took a chance and bought a ST1300 which was supposed to run so hot it would burn my legs, have a thermostat that would cause the motor to overheat and possibly fail, a seat so uncomfortable that minutes into a ride I would be writhing in pain, a throttle so snatchy that it was dangerous in corners and so heavy that I'd need to be a body builder to move it off the sidestand or in the parking lot.

After putting a few thousand miles on the bike I just smiled and rode the thing. Like all bikes I've owned I did some things to personalize it and to overcome design limitations. As time has played out we have found the ST1300 and FJR 1300 to be some of the most reliable bikes produced. Had purchase decisions been made on the forums when they first came out you would think they were ticking time bombs.

On the FJR and ST they did make incremental improvements to the bike after the initial year releases which were useful. One thing that has confirmed to me how solid the K1600 has been is I really could not tell the difference between my 2012 and 2016 K1600GT. Most issues like switches or water pump have been updated on BMW's dollar. Sure a better Bluetooth system would be nice but that is not going to diminish my riding experience. A few who experienced a left pull would give the bike up to get away from the pull. Many more have not experienced any pull, some have experienced a left pull but barely notice it.

Hopefully you will get enough information on this and other forums to decide if the known issues with the K1600's occur frequently enough and are dire enough to prevent you from being comfortable with purchasing it or if you should pass. It is very hard to determine as the point I think was being made about all bikes have their problems is not that every single bike has problems but that every bike will have plenty of stories of why we should not buy them from at least a few people.

For me and this bike I think it is worth the risk. If you really want to get scared about a bike that seems to be a brilliant bike that may have some serious problems check out the KTM 1190 Adventure threads on places like ADVrider. Some folks strongly defend the bike, others have had major engine failures from ingesting dirt and many other issues. Is it a solid bike with a few unfortunate problems or are there widespread issues where we buyers should stay away? It is hard to know because the problems will often get much, much more voice than the bikes with no problems.

Good luck in your search. It is not easy deciding what information we should trust and which we should dismiss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page