New Member Initiation - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 Old 01-07-2017, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Before I bought my FJR, I was shopping the BMWs. When I sat on the GT, i felt like I was leaning forward...but that was a couple years ago. The GTL felt neutral. I'm very anxious to go back and test ride again to see if my first impressions are still accurate. I like neutral to slightly forward so the top of my hips roll forward, but not so far forward my wrists load. The seat shape makes a difference as well...plus foot peg location of course. Feedback I'm reading is GTL rolls bottom of hips forward...more cruiser like. I had to bring the bars back and get a custom seat on the FJR to help make it more ideal for me. Every BODY is different. The link in Ralphie's post above is great at comparing sitting positions between bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 01-07-2017, 12:08 PM

You are so right. Every BODY is different. Some have switched to GT bars on their GTL's and some have switched to GTL bars on their GT's. There is a member (jryan19) that makes some pullback risers that may be just the ticket for pulling back the GT bars without having to find someone to swap their GTL bars, along with having to switch the GT brake line for the longer GTL brake line. As you found on your FJR some things just have to be tweaked to accommodate YOUR ergonomic preferences.
Passenger comfort is another factor that seats, windshields and wind deflectors need to be addressed. It ain't over by buying any of the models available but any of the models can be modified to dial in the best comfort for you and passenger. I'm lucky in the sense that, except for very short rides, I ride solo so it's just me that has to be comfortable. It's a shame that the money thrown at the mighty K1600's in their stock forms isn't enough but......just remember; you have money you haven't even borrowed yet.
J-Luv likes this.

'12 KGT Verthrillin' Red
post #13 of 15 Old 01-07-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrsiv View Post
Not trying to hijack this thread but, as far as the "forward lean" (asking those of you who know) is the GT comparable to the for and the GTL comparable to the Triumph trophy se?
It's only an inch. That seems to be a big difference for some, not so much for me. I got off and on both a boat load of times and didn't think it mattered to me so much as I sit high on the horn and tend to lean a bit frontwards, regardless of which one(GT/GTL) I was on. There were a few other things I wanted in the bike as well.

Good luck
J-Luv likes this.

post #14 of 15 Old 01-10-2017, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

I just returned from dealership in KCMO. Sat on the GT. I'm gonna go that route. Sitting position feels more neutral than I remember it. I have no idea what changed...other than I've been riding the FJR. BUT...no '17s until April at the earliest. I need to see the red before I fall in love with it. But do I wait until Dec when they start price dropping??? Patience is a virtue.......
If I can sell the FJR out right before summer....I doubt I wait!,
post #15 of 15 Old 01-11-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Luv View Post
I just returned from dealership in KCMO. Sat on the GT. I'm gonna go that route. Sitting position feels more neutral than I remember it. I have no idea what changed...other than I've been riding the FJR. BUT...no '17s until April at the earliest. I need to see the red before I fall in love with it. But do I wait until Dec when they start price dropping??? Patience is a virtue.......
If I can sell the FJR out right before summer....I doubt I wait!,
You still have a few really good choices. Keeping the FJR for a bit is a great option. The existing K1600 is so similar in most ways to the incoming model that the welcome changes to the new model are not earth shattering enough to give up the current bike. They are nice upgrades for those who have had the K1600 for a few years and will appreciate getting at least a few extra goodies or improvements when they swap the for another K1600. The upgrades are nice for those just getting a K1600. However, the heart of the bikes which are the motors, tranny's, storage and riding positions are pretty much the same.

If you grab the current model I'm sure you will be happy with it. The dollars you save on the purchase will likely be inline with the lower price you'll sell it for down the road. If you grab the new model you give up some or much of the 2017 riding season depending on when it arrives but it may be easier to sell down the road.

If you are really, really patient you can probably get the incoming model about 2 years from now with similar price savings to what you can buy the current bike for. I'm never that patient but that is what often happens and those who are willing to wait will benefit greatly from buying a nice used unit or one with normal motorcycle year end incentives.

For what it is worth I do have the quick shift on my RT and it functions well but I never use it other to remind me it is there and that I enjoy using a clutch more than the quick shifter. Maybe if I were more intentional about using it regularly I would get out of the condition of using a clutch but years of using a clutch have me still reaching for a clutch lever when shifting and I enjoy it. Many others love quick shfters it so take that for what it is worth. I did enjoy having reverse on a Gold Wing as a safety net but almost never used it and never really needed it. It was quicker and I liked the feel of pedaling back more than the electric motor backing me up. I would would not refuse a reverse assist but I don't really seek it out. If there was a color I'd really love, that I'd be more willing to wait or pay up for.

Search well but don't wait too long into spring if you think the current model may be your answer. There is so much competing information on how many existing models are in the US, which colors there are more of and when the new model will arrive. With reports ranging from early spring to late fall it is hard to know what is true. It seems likely you don't need to act fast on a current model but as we get into March or April who knows. Shop well and enjoy the process.
J-Luv likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page