New To Me 2013 Damask Red - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-08-2017, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

New To Me 2013 Damask Red

Hello!
Just agreed to purchase a 2013 GTL Damask Red. I reside in both MN(ya, you betcha) and AZ. 50 years old and have been away from riding for about 5 years. I have found this forum to be very helpful!
Can't wait to start riding again!

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-08-2017, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

I'm sure I'll need windshield

I know this has been discussed at length, but I thought I would ask. I pick up my 2013 GTL in 2 weeks and I am pretty sure I will be attempting to improve wind protection for my passenger. I am 6'0", 190, and my wife is 5'6", 125. We will be wearing C3s. I am planning on immediately adding Wings, miniwings and thinking about Aeroflow Hybrid Tall. Should I also consider CalSci XL/XW and Cee Bailey 26" Wide Body?? Any guesses as to what combination will provide the best protection for passenger? I don't mind looking through the screen...I always did on my VTX and Royal Star Tour Deluxe.

Thanks!!!
post #3 of 12 Old 01-08-2017, 10:21 PM

Garage
I have the Aeroflow windshield and wings but not the mini wings yet and I think the air management is OK for me and my wife who is a little taller than yours. Folks here say the mini wings add a lot more protection.

2012 Mineral Silver GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857

post #4 of 12 Old 01-08-2017, 10:38 PM

Welcome to the forum. I have the Cee Baileys tall and wide, with no vent. I think its a great shield. But I am a lot shorter than you at 5"7.

2013 K1600 GTL
2009 GL 1800- 70k miles
PM me about my pullback risers.

SEE RISER PICS HERE
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mpo/5949592469.html

See RAM MOUNT Pics
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mpo/5948821907.html

Backrest
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mpo/5971276739.html
post #5 of 12 Old 01-08-2017, 11:03 PM

Welcome to the forum. I too have a 2013 Damask Red. I'm 6' 0" and 165, wife is 5' 7" , and lighter than I am. I bought a Cee Bailey 26" wide boy clear windscreen, and Aeroflow wings, but not the mini wings. Wife was OK with the stock screen, but with the additions she is very happy, turbulence is greatly reduced for her. You might inquire if any forum members are in your area that have different screens, and if you could take their bike for a test ride. When we were in western Colorado 2 years ago, we stopped by to see forum member Darby Sackett. He took my bike out with his wife. When they returned, he ordered a Cee Bailey.

1970 R75/5 White
1978 R100/7 Red
1952 R50/2 White
1984 R100RT Red
1994 K1100LT Red
2013 K1600GTL Red
Too many 3 & 4 wheelers & dirt bikes to remember
post #6 of 12 Old 01-09-2017, 09:17 AM

Garage
Yup, I rode it and ordered myself one. 24" wide with light tint. I also use the mini wings as they take a lot of wind off the hands. I took the lower set of wings off the bike last spring and won't be putting them back on.

Pete,
I'm 6-2" and the 24" Cee Bailey is perfect. I would caution about getting too tall of a screen for a list of reasons. You really do want to just see over the top of it and a 26 might not let you do that in the down position. You can raise a 24 and you can't a taller one. For someone a couple inches shorter than I a 22" tall screen would work fine. You will also find a little airflow helps to keep cool in the summer so being able to lower a screen is beneficial in that regard.

I raise my 24 a couple inches from the down position and that's it. I also have a taller than stock seat so that must be considered too.

I'm ridin' a 2014 K1600 GTL and I am loving every minute of it!
post #7 of 12 Old 01-09-2017, 10:51 AM

Garage
Congrats from MN also.

Here's the first place you should ride to:

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein
post #8 of 12 Old 01-09-2017, 02:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drahthaar View Post
Hello!
Just agreed to purchase a 2013 GTL Damask Red. I reside in both MN(ya, you betcha) and AZ. 50 years old and have been away from riding for about 5 years. I have found this forum to be very helpful!
Can't wait to start riding again!

Pete

Best color too.
Drahthaar likes this.

Mark
SCPO USN (ret)
2013 Damask Red GTL
post #9 of 12 Old 01-09-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Vented or unvented

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbinco View Post
Yup, I rode it and ordered myself one. 24" wide with light tint. I also use the mini wings as they take a lot of wind off the hands. I took the lower set of wings off the bike last spring and won't be putting them back on.

Pete,
I'm 6-2" and the 24" Cee Bailey is perfect. I would caution about getting too tall of a screen for a list of reasons. You really do want to just see over the top of it and a 26 might not let you do that in the down position. You can raise a 24 and you can't a taller one. For someone a couple inches shorter than I a 22" tall screen would work fine. You will also find a little airflow helps to keep cool in the summer so being able to lower a screen is beneficial in that regard.

I raise my 24 a couple inches from the down position and that's it. I also have a taller than stock seat so that must be considered too.

Thanks for the great info. Did you get the Cee Bailey vented or un vented?

Pete
post #10 of 12 Old 01-09-2017, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunzee View Post
Congrats from MN also.

Here's the first place you should ride to:

Cleary not SE Minnesota!!! Doesn't look like LaCrescent to me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page