Hi all. I'm a rider of a 2013 Honda F6B... 2.5 years and 45,000 miles. This bike ticks all the boxes for me: a comfortable long distance tourer, stable under all conditions, and reliable as a hammer. I love the bike and couldn't be happier with it but I'm a performance fiend and curious about the K1600... wondering if it too can check all my boxes but with 75 to 80 lbs less weight and 40 or so more hp.
However I've been reading the forum and see many "hit or miss" problems with the bike, namely these:
1. squeaky front end
2. failing water pump
3. starter doesn't engage
4. leaking fuel pump fitting (recalled)
5. faulty handlebar switches
6. poor audio system (someone called it disgraceful)
7. burns oil (some reported cases are extreme at 2 quarts between changes)
8. cracked pistons
9. twitchy throttle
Are these still problems on the later bikes (2015 and 2016)?
For those that have (had?) these issues, are they fixable?
Any words of wisdom or advice for someone considering switching bikes?
I purchased my '14 GTL without reading the internet and I don't have most of those problems.
1. I can't hear a squeak in the front end with Sensaphonics playing music in my ears underneath a helmet.
2. No issues with my WP. BMW also replaces these if issues arise. There hasn't been much talk at all about these on 2014 or newer bikes since I joined the forum. Not to say there hasn't been a few but most instances are on earlier bikes.
3. Could be weak battery or issue with your #5
4. Rare like hens teeth
5. BMW also replaces these for free if issues are found. Again this was mostly on earlier models, seems they had it pretty well squared away around the 14 model year. My bike for instance doesn't fall into the time frame they had these suspected issues or at least that's what I've been told. I have not had an issue with them yet.
6. The audio functions on the bike work flawlessly, it's the bluetooth coming off the bike isn't that good. I don't use it and that's by choice. I have my phone paired to my Sena20s which pumps the tunes to my IEM's for incredible sound with the side benefit of hearing protection. Loudspeakers on a motorcycle is 90's tech. Nobody else really cares or wants to hear what your listening to anyways.
7. My bike used a little oil between the first 600/6000 mile interval, nothing since at least that I've noticed.
8. Rare issue. Does Honda not have rare issues?
9. There are 3 rider adjustable throttle settings, the most sensitive of those is "dynamic" and even I don't like it. I keep mine of "road" for a smoother feel.
If you spend hours researching all the bad things that said or complained about on the internet you will surely talk yourself out of a lot of great motorcycles. This one is no exception.