New to Forum. Considering the K - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 109 Old 01-10-2017, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

New to Forum. Considering the K

Hi all. I'm a rider of a 2013 Honda F6B... 2.5 years and 45,000 miles. This bike ticks all the boxes for me: a comfortable long distance tourer, stable under all conditions, and reliable as a hammer. I love the bike and couldn't be happier with it but I'm a performance fiend and curious about the K1600... wondering if it too can check all my boxes but with 75 to 80 lbs less weight and 40 or so more hp.

However I've been reading the forum and see many "hit or miss" problems with the bike, namely these:

1. squeaky front end
2. failing water pump
3. starter doesn't engage
4. leaking fuel pump fitting (recalled)
5. faulty handlebar switches
6. poor audio system (someone called it disgraceful)
7. burns oil (some reported cases are extreme at 2 quarts between changes)
8. cracked pistons
9. twitchy throttle

Are these still problems on the later bikes (2015 and 2016)?

For those that have (had?) these issues, are they fixable?

Any words of wisdom or advice for someone considering switching bikes?
16K16GT likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 109 Old 01-11-2017, 10:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
Hi all. I'm a rider of a 2013 Honda F6B... 2.5 years and 45,000 miles. This bike ticks all the boxes for me: a comfortable long distance tourer, stable under all conditions, and reliable as a hammer. I love the bike and couldn't be happier with it but I'm a performance fiend and curious about the K1600... wondering if it too can check all my boxes but with 75 to 80 lbs less weight and 40 or so more hp.

However I've been reading the forum and see many "hit or miss" problems with the bike, namely these:

1. squeaky front end
2. failing water pump
3. starter doesn't engage
4. leaking fuel pump fitting (recalled)
5. faulty handlebar switches
6. poor audio system (someone called it disgraceful)
7. burns oil (some reported cases are extreme at 2 quarts between changes)
8. cracked pistons
9. twitchy throttle

Are these still problems on the later bikes (2015 and 2016)?

For those that have (had?) these issues, are they fixable?

I purchased my '14 GTL without reading the internet and I don't have most of those problems.

1. I can't hear a squeak in the front end with Sensaphonics playing music in my ears underneath a helmet.
2. No issues with my WP. BMW also replaces these if issues arise. There hasn't been much talk at all about these on 2014 or newer bikes since I joined the forum. Not to say there hasn't been a few but most instances are on earlier bikes.
3. Could be weak battery or issue with your #5
4. Rare like hens teeth
5. BMW also replaces these for free if issues are found. Again this was mostly on earlier models, seems they had it pretty well squared away around the 14 model year. My bike for instance doesn't fall into the time frame they had these suspected issues or at least that's what I've been told. I have not had an issue with them yet.
6. The audio functions on the bike work flawlessly, it's the bluetooth coming off the bike isn't that good. I don't use it and that's by choice. I have my phone paired to my Sena20s which pumps the tunes to my IEM's for incredible sound with the side benefit of hearing protection. Loudspeakers on a motorcycle is 90's tech. Nobody else really cares or wants to hear what your listening to anyways.
7. My bike used a little oil between the first 600/6000 mile interval, nothing since at least that I've noticed.
8. Rare issue. Does Honda not have rare issues?
9. There are 3 rider adjustable throttle settings, the most sensitive of those is "dynamic" and even I don't like it. I keep mine of "road" for a smoother feel.

If you spend hours researching all the bad things that said or complained about on the internet you will surely talk yourself out of a lot of great motorcycles. This one is no exception.
DanDiver likes this.

Freedom is the miles I'm rollin' on!

I'm ridin' a 2014 K1600 GTL and I am loving every minute of it!
post #3 of 109 Old 01-11-2017, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

What's funny is how issues with any product travel like wildfire on the internet, while happy customers continue unimpeded. My brother has over 70,000 flawless miles on his pre-order K1600GT. As with any complex product, some will have issues. BMW pushes the complex envelope. As such, there will be a percentage of issues, regardless of year. Same with Honda.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
Mayflower Society
Son of the American Revolution

post #4 of 109 Old 01-11-2017, 11:09 AM

Some were complaining about paint issues, shifting issues, heated grips not working etc.. On the F6b. With any bike there are some people with problems but most don't have any.
I bought my first 1600 in July of 2011 and had only one minor issue and was covered under the 3 year warinty. My 2015 bike has had no problems.
If you like the style of the F6b look at the new bagger with the same 6 BMW has coming out later this year.

Rick
2012 K1600GT (smashed)
2015 K1600GT
post #5 of 109 Old 01-11-2017, 12:10 PM

Garage
I had a 13 GTL and did not experience any issues. The dealer replaced the switches but they did not fail on me. They did it when I took it in for a normal service. I now have a 16 and have had no issues so far.

I had a GL1800 in the past, not a F6B. The Goldwing required a new drive shaft, several sets of fork seals until I upgraded to a Race Tech front suspension, replacement of rear shock hose to a braided line to allow adjustment, and progressive spring on the rear. Others I rode with had the same issues. I knew one who had a bearing in his motor go out, another lost the rear drive, etc. The GW never left me stranded, nor has either GTL. I rode on a motorcycle drill team at the time I had the GW and several of the GW riders experienced overheating at low speeds.

Honda eventually made changes to deal with these issues and they are probably very minimal or eliminated at this time. The GW/F6B is 2001 technology at best so they have had plenty of time to get things right.

I only mention these things to say that the GW has a great reputation but it has not been completely without issues. The BMW are great bikes but not without issues. Considering the amount of performance and technology they are putting into these bikes it is amazing that there are more serious issues. It seems that like Honda, as issues arise, BMW makes modifications to prevent them in the future.

I hope you are able to take a ride on one of the models soon. The F6B is a great bike so you have a high bar set to compare other bikes to.

Enjoy and welcome to the forum.
post #6 of 109 Old 01-11-2017, 01:09 PM

Garage
The F6b is a nice bike. Since you like that style, the K1600b would be for you. I have the 2014 GTLE and have not experienced any issues on your list. I can say that the K1600 is a great bike. It ticks all my boxes and then some. You need to get some seat time on one and decide for yourself.

I honestly try to not ride faster than my guardian angel can fly , however....I know it's pooped by end of the ride
post #7 of 109 Old 01-11-2017, 02:34 PM

1. squeaky front end: Never had the issue, understand squirt WD40 corrects
2. failing water pump: Never heard of a failed water pump, some have leaked and been replaced under warranty
3. starter doesn't engage: Never had this issue, all starters can fail
4. leaking fuel pump fitting (recalled): Never had this issue, understand it was fixed with a recall
5. faulty handlebar switches: Early bikes to include previous K1300 and R1200 bikes, recall fixed older models, new models non-issue
6. poor audio system (someone called it disgraceful): Not an issue, no such thing as a high fidelity audio system you can hear on a M/C at speed with a full face helmet
7. burns oil (some reported cases are extreme at 2 quarts between changes): New motors burn oil until broken in
8. cracked pistons: issue was with K1600 produced within the first few months of production (2012)
9. twitchy throttle: No
DLL66 and amorley like this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars/CalSci/Wilbers/ VarioLevers/ CDbaneAmber/SW Motech Hawk LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/Booster Plug/Volo Module
post #8 of 109 Old 01-11-2017, 10:05 PM

Garage
Have you had a real life experience with the K1600? Go for a ride and you will not just be sold, you will be in love!

I was riding an ST1300 so was blown away by the KBiK's power. So from an F6B you'll be put into orbit!

As RL states, don't be put off by all the negatives. Most are old "fake news" now.

I have 23K trouble free miles on my 2015 K1600GT in less than two years so I believe the bike to be just as reliable as STA5, my '05 ST1300

Andy
2015 K1600GTS (aka KBiK)
ALTRider Engine Guard and C4 Rear Tip-Over Bars. Adaptiv TPX Radar Detector and SPOT Gen 3
PDM60 and Clearwater Ericas, Billie Brake Light with CANopener 4. Skene P3 Rear Brake Lights and Photon Blaster Turn signals.

2012 Yamaha Supere Tenere (Traded for GT)
2005 Honda ST1300A (Sold but still in the family)
post #9 of 109 Old 01-11-2017, 10:35 PM

Garage
2015 model here. No issues that I did not cause.
amorley likes this.

Roland
"The Eyes of Texas are Upon You" except those in cages talking on the phone, texting, reading newspapers, applying makeup, scratching their n*ts, ................................................

16 R1200 GSA
15 GTL
17 CVO Limited
post #10 of 109 Old 01-12-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post

You have obviously researched it quite a bit. If you take a look at the number of problems reported in the last year or so you will see very few. This bike had some early teething issues but they have been addressed quite some time ago. The K1600 is a solid bike with very few current problems.

With that said, I am not sure it makes sense to switch especially since you LOVE the Honda. I had a 2013 Goldwing and those engines pull pretty good. It didn't work for me but that is clearly not the case in your situation. I would suggest you keep the F6B and once you pass the 100k mark begin a leisurely look at newer bikes.

2013 BMW K1600GT
2016 BMW S1000XR White
2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page