BMW K1600 Forum banner

About to purchase my first BMW GTL 1600

4K views 30 replies 26 participants last post by  rustinwa 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I am considering the purchase of my first BMW motorcycle. A 2016 BMW 1600 GTL . Before biting this bullet, I wanted to get some feedback as to your thoughts on purchasing this bike. All my research has been positive on the bike but I have also read some negative stuff as well. I currently ride a HD 2012 Road Glide which has served me well. After test riding the BMW, it has provided a totally different riding experience that probably will suit my riding style better. Does anyone have any thoughts? thanks, stan

#6 ·
Stan,
Welcome to the forum.
Just bite this bullet. You won't be sorry.

#8 ·
Stan Welcome. You and I are in the exact same spot. I have a 12 CVO RG and going for a GT. We could trade pics of the new K bikes next to the Road Glides. Everyone here has been very positive on the switch, I hope I just make the right decision on the model. I will find out on Monday.

#9 ·
I agree with everyones comments on the matter. I purchased my 15GT last year with intentions of it being my second (play) bike but I immediately
fell in love with the ride and since buying it I have only ridden my HD Limited 2 times. I have ridden Harley's for many years and don't have one bad thing to say about them but the GT fits my riding style perfectly and it is without a doubt the best and most fun riding experience I've had. Put it rain mode for a couple of weeks to get use to it the dynamic from then on!

#10 · (Edited)
Bagman, I'd be sure I road both, GT and GTL. Ergonomics of the GTL are much closer to the RG. With the GT you are leaning more forward and your legs are higher and further back. To me, they are totally different bikes. I ride a GT and if you gave me a GTL I'd sell it. But that's me, my .02...

Duane

#28 ·
#19 ·
Welcome to the group!

#20 ·
welcome stanman...i still have my roadking. harleys do their thing well and bmws do their thing well. i like both but love the k1600 gt. i am 6'3" and 260 lbs. i am comfortable on the bike. there are numerous tweaks available to fine tune my comfort, but remember, those things add up in cost. but so it is with motorcycles, right? have fun!

#21 ·
Welcome to the forum. I bought a used GTL recently and for at least a week every night I'd go out to the garage and look at it and sit on it, and smile. I ride it daily or almost daily and absolutely love it. I didn't come from the HD side but hadn't been on a bike in awhile and had never had a big bike. My only regret is not buying one sooner. My 100 miles per hour days are behind me, not that I haven't seen 100 on the GTL, but I don't live there, but the bike is as sporty as I need it to be. I was really surprised at the quickness and response in handling this bike has. You'll have no regrets. Good luck.

Regards,

Shane

#22 ·
Hey Stan, the Harley vs the BMW is kinda like comparing a locomotive to a semi comfortable touring rocket. It's mucho quick while the Harley's have gobs of torque. As others have noted here, much different riding ergonomics, just test ride and enjoy the testing.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.

#30 ·
The K1600 comes with a bit of a learning curve so it will feel like there's something wrong with it til you learn how it was designed to be ridden. While the bike has as much or more torque than harleys it don't have a flywheel so stalling is easier and lugging around isn't as entertaining on the bmw. I still baby mine usually shifting around 3k but the bike runs smooth and loves rpm's so I had to quit short shifting and let it wind out a bit even when strolling. where harley starts wheezing the k1600 is still 1/2 asleep. The stereo and gps goes to harley BMW gets the rest.

#31 ·
I recently succumbed to the charm of the K1600gtl! I've owned Goldwings, Harleys and many other bikes, but at age 64, I appreciate this bike for what it is,...The ultimate power touring bike! If you have a companion and plan on two-up riding, get the GTL. If your a single rider, get the GT! You won't regret buying it, only not buying it sooner!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.