Windshield - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By rsmith
  • 1 Post By Gunnert

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-18-2017, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Windshield

Hi Guys
New member from Turner Valley Alberta. I just got a 2016 GTL and I must say I'm disappointed with the stock windshield. Can anyone recommend an aftermarket replacement ? I'm 6'1 and often ride with the wife on the back. My old LT had much better wind protection.
Thanks
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-19-2017, 08:33 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum and the bike!

Asking about windscreens is about like asking what oil to use or what tires.....everyone has a preference.

I run Aeroflow with their wings. Lots run other brands, and the wings. I would recommend getting your rider seat where you want it first.
Meese, Rick92040 and Snurtle like this.

Roland
"The Eyes of Texas are Upon You" except those in cages talking on the phone, texting, reading newspapers, applying makeup, scratching their n*ts, ................................................

16 R1200 GSA
15 GTL
17 CVO Limited
post #3 of 8 Old 04-19-2017, 10:06 AM

What Roland said.

Windscreens are a very personal choice, depending on your height, riding needs, and expectations. There are a half-dozen decent options out there, and a search of this site for windshield or windscreen will give you lots of interesting reading.

My wife and I are quite happy with the full AeroFlow setup (AeroScreen, AeroWings, Mini Wings). The full package does cost a bit, but then again, so does the K16.

And like the Big K, it just works, very well...

Ken
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD
Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from . . .

post #4 of 8 Old 04-19-2017, 10:19 AM

Echo what Meese is saying. But I'd suggest taking it slow. Many of us use the Aeroflow wings/mini-wings. Adding just the wings takes wind off the riders shoulders and deflects wind from the pillion. The mini-wings take the wind primarily off your hands. I mention this because if you "think" may want the wings then you need to consider which windscreens will fit. e.g. most after market, larger windscreens do not fit with the mini-wings; you'll have to modify the windscreen or mini-wings... With the Aeroflow windscreen you don't have to worry about it...

Duane
rsmith likes this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars/CalSci/Wilbers/ VarioLevers/ CDbaneAmber/SW Motech Hawk LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/Booster Plug/Volo Module
post #5 of 8 Old 04-19-2017, 12:55 PM

I put a GT windscreen on my GTL and that made a big improvement. I did not have a passenger and you do so the shorter GT screen may not be ideal for you. I believe the most common replacement windshields you will find for the K1600 include:

There may be others I'm missing but I think this is most of the common ones which have been helpful. I've used both the VStream and Wunderlich Ergo 2 and find them both to be very good. Wunderlich gives the effect of having wings without needing to add wings.

Some conversations about the subject from the past include:

Hope that helps. As noted and you will see, results vary greatly from person to person.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-19-2017, 03:06 PM

Garage
If the folks at the dealership did not prepare you for the change from the bike with the best protection from the elements to the bike that can blow your mind, they did a disservice. I'm 6'4" and have accepted the trade-off.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-19-2017, 04:01 PM

Garage
I have used Cal-Sci, two versions of a cut down OEM, OEM with the Cal-Sci hole in it, and Wunderlich Touring Screen.
IMO, I found the Wunderlich Touring Screen to be the best.

Mark
SCPO USN (ret)
2013 Damask Red GTL
post #8 of 8 Old 04-20-2017, 08:43 PM

I'm the same height. I run Aeroflow wings and mini wings with Ceebee 26" extra wide (no vet) windshield. Pretty good still air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page