2016 v 2017 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 05-17-2017, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

2016 v 2017

Hi Folks--

New to BMW and touring bikes both. I have a few other bikes (Harley, Ducati, KTM) and want to round out the full riding experience with a nice touring bike!
I'm looking at the k1600 GTL excl and see decent price difference between a new '16 and '17. Do you think the new model has worthwhile changes (like the improved lean angle ABS)?
All thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

JK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-18-2017, 08:50 AM

Garage
James,
It's not like the 16's abs system was bad. Your going to have to weigh out wether the newest version of abs, redesigned plastic panels and shift assist on the new bikes are worth the extra money because other than that they are the same machine. There are some smoking good deals on left over 16 bikes out there.

There are no 17 GTL or E's on the market anywhere at this time. The 17 GT's have just started showing up on the dealers floors in the last couple weeks here in the states. The 17 GTL may come later this summer but by then they just might call them 18's. There also speculation that 2016 will be the last year of the Exclusive.

Welcome to the forum. Good luck on your search.

Freedom is the miles I'm rollin' on!

I'm ridin' a 2014 K1600 GTL and I am loving every minute of it!
post #3 of 23 Old 05-18-2017, 08:59 AM

Garage
I was in the same boat as you asking the same questions about 16 vs 17. The good folks on this forum yielded some great advice to take advantage of the excellent pricing on the 16's and just ride! So I made the leap a few weeks ago and am enjoying every minute. I went with the 16GTLE and am very pleased with every aspect this fine machine. Besides, when the 18's or 19's do come out and the technology is that improved, I can always trade up.

Enjoy it now and be safe!
rikracer99 likes this.

Steve

2016 K1600GTLE; C4 Tipover Bars

post #4 of 23 Old 05-18-2017, 09:03 AM

I've been told my a local dealer that the GTL's are enroute to the states. Exactly what that means and how many,,,I don't know.

How can you tell the difference between a Plumber and a Chemist?
Ask them to pronounce unionized.
post #5 of 23 Old 05-18-2017, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for tips! Mostly I think the missing elements of the '16 (lean angle ABS, quickshifter) are more useful on a sport bike--like the s1000rr I also intend to get...
$26K for a '16 Exclusive with free Nav V. A good deal or can better be found?
post #6 of 23 Old 05-18-2017, 11:18 AM

FWIW I went through the same dilemma. Wait for a 2017 or get a great deal on 2016 in the fastest color Ocean Matte Blue. I traded in my 2012 and I got ~20% off the 2016 and I love it. For that kind of saving I can pull in the clutch. I think I may have needed a push backwards once or twice in the last 5 years. Dynamic ESA would be great if I was a great enough rider to appreciate however I put the bike into Dynamic/Sport myself and off I go.

As a software developer I love the technology on my 2016 and the coming 2017. But I sleep better at night with my decision.

So yes it all comes down to sleep factor

Cheers!
kotr likes this.
post #7 of 23 Old 05-18-2017, 11:26 AM

P.S. Doesn't the later 2016 builds come with the ABS pro? or is that different than lean angle ABS?
post #8 of 23 Old 05-18-2017, 11:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Kerner View Post
Thanks for tips! Mostly I think the missing elements of the '16 (lean angle ABS, quickshifter) are more useful on a sport bike--like the s1000rr I also intend to get...
$26K for a '16 Exclusive with free Nav V. A good deal or can better be found?
that's the deal I got, 25k total OTD with nav and TTL on a GTLE. No regerts, I've had it for 6 months now and still love it!
Rick

2016 BMW K1600 GTL-E
1961 FL 74 Panhead
post #9 of 23 Old 05-18-2017, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

I think you're right about the '16 ABS pro having lean angle coverage. That might make my choice easier!
post #10 of 23 Old 05-18-2017, 01:43 PM

JK I was in the same position you are in a week ago. I elected to get a late 2016 model and I have the ABS pro. Dealer gave a good discount off sticker and I've clicked off half of my 600 break in miles. Love the bike! you won't regret it. I don't think lean angle abs is a really big deal, hopefully, you never have to use it! As for shift assist pro it is a nice feature but since you've probably never had it, you wont miss it.

There are allot of great members on this board with lots of great experience. Was invaluable for me as I did my homework. Was on the fence between a CVO Harley and the GTL. A test ride and the advice I got on this board made the difference for me.
rush21122 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page