MOA 2017 Ride-in, Meetups and Planning - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 136Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 192 Old 11-18-2016, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb MOA 2017 Ride-in, Meetups and Planning

It's early, yes! But as most of you know, these cross Country events involve a lot of planning!... and rooms book fast for the Month of July!

I also find that booking your rooms 'this early' gets you in on their best rates, period.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So many of you know that I'm a precise planning (I'm a Base Camp GPS mapaholic) slash traveling frugal guru. Not to say I/we skimp, but we get 'er done with some of the best deals out there. 'Nuff said

That being said, what are some of your thoughts and plans for your MOA in Salt Lake City?? It would be cool to maybe meetup or spend a night here or there, or do the entire trip together! (wouldn't want more than 4 or maybe 5 max on this however).

I've taken in a lot of locals and others suggestions (already) doing this similar trip. Seems to be the consensus is to head down to Southern Utah and do those National Parks first, then work our way north up to SLC. I would expect a total of 4 days/nights "down there" starting maybe in the Moab area and do Natural Bridges, then westerly (another day) to take in Brice, and Zion, then northward to Capitol Reef and Canyonlands. It would be full day trips to explore these each with lots of parking time to sightsee, some close by's loca's like Brice and Zion can be the same day. Lot's of thought and planning to take it in efficiently and base it all perfectly around/before the Rally.

Here's my only things planned (at this first posting anyways)----:

Weds 7/5 Departure | Destination ~ ?
Weds 7/12 - Sat 7/15 (checkout Sun 7/16) Ramada Salt Lake City North Temple*
Booked 4 nights, along w Rick "Pura-Vida" } 4 nites @ 46.20/nite (thru Wyndham Rewards site)

Note: National Park passes are $25ea, or you can get a year pass for $80. Seems to make the most sense with all these parks populated together in S.Utah

MOA# 194402 | Finger-Lakes BMW# 506
BMW Rides: '14 K1600-GTS Sakhir Orange | '13 F800-GT
Graphite Metallic
Daily Grind: Go-Karts 'R' us | Power-Sports Forum
2017 Rides: MOA Ride-in Plans (Salt Lake City, UT)

Last edited by Top_Speed1; 11-18-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 192 Old 11-18-2016, 11:48 AM

Sounds like a great trip! My Mrs isn't up for a boot across the USA. Our plan is for me to ride and her to fly to Utah. I've got her talked into tenting it at the rally mainly because I enjoyed the campsite camaraderie in Hamburg so much. We'll do our sight seeing after the rally. Planning on heading up to Glacier, into Canada (Banff), and she'll probable fly home from either Edmonton, Alberta or Rapid City, SD. This is all "tentative" and subject to change as the event draws nearer.

Duane

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars/CalSci/Wilbers/ VarioLevers/ CDbaneAmber/SW Motech Hawk LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/Booster Plug/Volo Module
post #3 of 192 Old 11-18-2016, 12:06 PM
C 4

Garage
Can't wait to meet her Duane. KJ, W and I were planning on hitting some of the parks on the way up and some on the way back home. Have to coordinate when you'll be around the parks. Is Deb making the trek?
Gunnert likes this.

Tim C
2016 K1600 GTL
Matte Ocean Blue

"Why is it that those that know the least, know it the loudest?"

Custom built side case protection/tipover bars
Get yours now, Ask me how!
http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-...over-bars.html

Last edited by C 4; 11-18-2016 at 12:10 PM.

post #4 of 192 Old 11-18-2016, 12:25 PM

Definitely would like to do a K16 meet up at the rally....I am going to ride US 50 across California, Nevada and into Utah...Then I was planning on hitting the National Parks for three or four days. After that, head up to Salt Lake City for the MOA Rally...

I would be interested in doing the National Parks with a group....
Top_Speed1 likes this.

Paul
2012 BMW 1600GT
2009 BMW 1200RT
2005 BMW 1200GS
post #5 of 192 Old 11-18-2016, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by C 4 View Post
Can't wait to meet her Duane. KJ, W and I were planning on hitting some of the parks on the way up and some on the way back home. Have to coordinate when you'll be around the parks. Is Deb making the trek?
As of right now (plan A): I'm thinking of flying her into SLC for the Rally on Weds. She's made comment on how she's going to miss out on all the awesome sights however, and wasn't very happy at all with this suggestion, kinda a catch22.

My other thought (plan B lol) would be to have her 2-wheel trek out, do the parks and Rally, then fly home after the Rally.

Doing the parks with like minded folks is best and most memorable... plus you have to have some common beer stories at night!

MOA# 194402 | Finger-Lakes BMW# 506
BMW Rides: '14 K1600-GTS Sakhir Orange | '13 F800-GT
Graphite Metallic
Daily Grind: Go-Karts 'R' us | Power-Sports Forum
2017 Rides: MOA Ride-in Plans (Salt Lake City, UT)
post #6 of 192 Old 11-18-2016, 04:07 PM

Garage
My first wife Janet plans on joining me this year too. After the rally we are planning on continuing North to Coeur d'Alene, ID and then into Canada to visit Banff and Jasper parks. Right now it's up in the air whether we will ride and motel, drive and motel or pull our camper.

2012 Mineral Silver GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
post #7 of 192 Old 11-18-2016, 05:45 PM

You can be sure its going to be Sunny in SLC and the other sure bet is the Canucks from Ontario Canada will be there. We are 100% in on the Tours. Gary, Prince and Dave from Timmins. I hope to be there on the Sunday to claim prime real estate and get the banner up.

Gary. I may even have a drink or two at this ralley.

2015 k 1600 GTL E // altrider bars //c4 rear bars // RL'S super plug and screen //pdm 60, stebel horn //tankslapper protection
nav 5 //kry front pegs //sena 20s
rear six emblem// aux lights 2800 lumes // admore light bar with accelerator tech.
post #8 of 192 Old 11-18-2016, 05:51 PM
C 4

Garage
Am I gonna have to twist your arm again Gary?

Tim C
2016 K1600 GTL
Matte Ocean Blue

post #9 of 192 Old 11-18-2016, 07:29 PM

Tim its a little twist and then the saying "Don't get me started kicks in" and I can't seem to stop and return to the Alter Boy I am all year. I don't plan as far ahead as KJ but when we get to April or May going to hit you and Jim up for a day of guided tours in your area in July or Aug as I plan on being on the west coast for 34 days and then 5 to get home.

Gary

2015 k 1600 GTL E // altrider bars //c4 rear bars // RL'S super plug and screen //pdm 60, stebel horn //tankslapper protection
nav 5 //kry front pegs //sena 20s
rear six emblem// aux lights 2800 lumes // admore light bar with accelerator tech.
post #10 of 192 Old 11-18-2016, 08:10 PM
C 4

Garage
A little twist then a slap and tickle? I'm sure we can show ya around a little.

Tim C
2016 K1600 GTL
Matte Ocean Blue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page