Yellowstone/Idaho/Glacier Ride - Page 4 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
» Forum Search

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #31

Forgot to mention...the 14/14A loop is supposed to be very worth doing and with roughly a 10% elevation drop on the return 14A to Cody, sounds fun to me
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #32

Others may be aware of this web site, but it's one that I just found. One of the articles published here may help you plan your ride.

Rider Magazine’s Great Roads | Rider Magazine

Scroll down a little until you see a map of the United States.

Hover your mouse over Montana or Wyoming and then click.

I think you will find articles that will help you pick a route.

Any route you pick, I think will be a great ride.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #33

And check out the medicine wheel on the 14/14A loop.
Bighorn Medicine Wheel
Medicine wheel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 05-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #34

Pitts, either route is worth while and good riding so you can't go to far wrong. I personally think the north part of Yellowstone is more scenic and the ride from the NE entrance down to the Beartooth connection is spectacular. That would be my recommendation.

Going thru Yellowstone can be very slow even in Sept. Last Sept I did this route and got held up in Yellowstone for over an hour due to a heard of buffalo on the road.

Also riding the beartooth will also be slow due to the many switchbacks and very slow traffic.

Regardless it is a truly spectacular ride that everyone should do at least once.

Don
Old 05-17-2013, 07:41 AM   #35

If you're going to be near or going through Cody, the Buffalo Bill Historical Museum is really worth a stop. My wife and I stopped a couple of years ago and spent a day and a half there and still didn't see it all. Great sections on the American Indians, a firearms display, Yellowstone, etc. The town was easy to navigate on a bike without much trouble with traffic.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #36

Thanks for the advice guys. I know there's enough must see stuff to spend a season there or more. We're going to try to go from the east coast to Glacier and back in a little over two weeks. I'm only allocating 3 days each way to Denver from Annapolis so it's going to be a lot of slab riding there and back. We're out there for about 10 days and will spend a couple of days at Turpin Meadow slinging some fly line and communing with nature. The rest is on a twisty safari through back country Idaho, Colorado, Montana, and Wyoming.
'12 K1600GT, Michelin PR3s, OBBs, engine & side case guards, cbdane running light kit, Adaptiv TPX w/H.A.R.D. System. Sena Bluetooth. PDM60, Stock windscreen, stock seat, stock exhaust - it's all good.
'13 S1000RR, OBBs, tall tinted screen
Old 05-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #37

Go up into the Big Horns on 14,you'll thank me later. Most of the roads in that area are pretty good. Was out that way on my K13GT.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMB View Post
Go up into the Big Horns on 14,you'll thank me later. Most of the roads in that area are pretty good. Was out that way on my K13GT.
When we leave Moran Wyoming, we'll be headed through Yellowstone to Glacier. If we were to do this loop out through the Big Horns and back it would add a day. I'm getting great advice here and I'm ready to believe what you tell me - is it worth loosing a day of Idaho back country riding to do this loop?
'12 K1600GT, Michelin PR3s, OBBs, engine & side case guards, cbdane running light kit, Adaptiv TPX w/H.A.R.D. System. Sena Bluetooth. PDM60, Stock windscreen, stock seat, stock exhaust - it's all good.
'13 S1000RR, OBBs, tall tinted screen
Old 05-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitts View Post
When we leave Moran Wyoming, we'll be headed through Yellowstone to Glacier. If we were to do this loop out through the Big Horns and back it would add a day. I'm getting great advice here and I'm ready to believe what you tell me - is it worth loosing a day of Idaho back country riding to do this loop?
Boy that I don't know. Idaho is one of only 3 states I have not been in. Shell Canyon in the Big Horns is pretty cool. Just take an extra day.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:11 AM   #40

Back in the day bfbmw I went from whidbey Is WA to Memphis TN. went thru WA, ID MT back down thru ID to Idaho falls. forgot about the flood they had there. a GS would have been nice back then. but stayed with cousin a couple days in ID Falls then out to jackson wy up past the Tetons and thru Yellowstone. came out the east end, snowing on top in July. then down to Cody and beyond. quite the trip I must say but a great time up thru there

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement