BMW K1600 Forum banner

Dual Sporters: Ride to Mexico with AZ Beemers!

8K views 53 replies 10 participants last post by  charlie3133 
#1 ·
Dual Sporters: Ride to Mexico with AZ Beemers! For AZB every two years like clockwork MOA Club #89 AZ Beemers rides deep into Old Mexico on our BMW's!

Join us on this ride next March traveling dirt and pavement to Real de Catorce and Huasteca. Like our Ride to Copper Canyon last year, we have enlisted MotoDiscovery to provide us with a 4WD support vehicle and a driver/guide.

There are twelve openings for this trip, five deposits have already been placed.

You are welcome on any dual sport machine that you operate, for AZB the bikes of choice are the R1200GS and the F650/800 Twins; KTM's are welcome!

Huasteca Mexico Adventure Expedition Motorcycle Tour

#3 ·
Hi Don,

Thanks again for reaching out to wish me a Happy Birthday. Sixty two isn't that bad especially when you consider the alternative!

Don here is a link that you can send out to everyone with the details of the proposed ride next March. Sorry it has taken so long to get this to you but this is a new thing we have developed to specifically suit the needs for private/custom tours. People can make reservations directly off of this link.

Huasteca Mexico Adventure Expedition Motorcycle Tour

We're playing around with the photos a bit but you can send this out now if you like.

Just got back from a month running around Turkey, Rep. of Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan and Russia. Great ride with great people but good to be home. Heading to the BMW National on Wednesday (flying up).

Drop me a note if you have any questions. Hope to see you sometime soon Don...mil gracias caballero!

Skip Mascorro

685 Persimmon Hill
Bulverde, TX 78163
Toll Free USA & Canada 1(800) 233-0564
PH (830) 438-7744
skip@motodiscovery.com
MotoDiscovery: Motorcycle Tours Worldwide
Click here to receive the Navigator Newsletter!

#4 ·
Tour Character
This is an adventure ride that will be a mix of paved touring and off road explorations. Off road riding should only be moderately challenging for the experienced, spirited and physically abled riding enthusiast. Some days will provide options to take the pavement or experience off road sections. As with any MotoDiscovery Expedition, teamwork and flexibility are essential.

So you want to see the REAL Mexico.
This ride is inspired by long time supporter, Don Stanley who has shared many roads with MotoDiscovery dating back to our dates as Pancho Villa Moto-Tours. His love of Mexico, passion for challenge and laid back attitude has always made for great contribution to the success and enjoyment of any tour.

Don collaborated with MotoDiscovery to create a ride through what could arguably be considered one of Mexico’s most beautiful ,yet overlooked regions, the Huasteca. This east central region is filled with geographical diversity, a richness in history and native culture, and an opportunity to enjoy great riding both on and off the pavement. This area is highlighted by the most northern cloud forests in the hemisphere, the El Cielo Biosphere Reserve, a UNESCO sight that covers about 560 square miles reaching a peak altitude of 7,500 ft. above sea level.

One stop where we’ll be for two nights is the legendary Real de Catorce, a hidden away Colonial era mining town in the high altiplano, accessed only after riding through a one kilometer long tunnel after climbing up a 14 mile long hand laid cobble stone road. On exiting the tunnel it is like you have experienced passage into a time zone, set you clocks back two hundred years. Real de Catorce will invite exploration both on two wheels and walking the old streets of this revitalized once ghost town.

In the usual MotoDiscovery style this event will be supported by our great staff team, a 4X4 vehicle and driver will be employed to bring up the rear, and depending on the group size one to two riding staff will lead the way. Great food, the best available accommodations and the benefit of over 33 years of experience in Old Mexico guarantees this to be a great riding event.

Sign up soon. This one will fill fast. Don’t miss out on this pioneering event into the heart of Old Mexico. VAmanos muchachos!

#5 ·
This Expedition is over March 9-18, 2015 and here is the Mexico Ride Itinerary:

Day 1: McAllen, Texas
Day 2: Santiago
Day 3: Galeana
Day 4: Real de Catorce
Day 5: Real de Catorce
Day 6: Cielo Biosphere
Day 7: Huasteca
Day 8: Huasteca
Day 9: Hacienda Santa Engracia
Day 10: McAllen, TX

#7 ·
I'm in, deposit down!
~Bear
That's Great Barry, very glad to hear this! K1600 Forum: Only five openings left for this Real de Catorce and Huasteca, Mexico trip!

1. canucklehead-biker
2. BeemerDonS
3. bbolesaz - BB
4. Back Road Bob
5. CHRIS_D
6. D Wells
7. BearTrax

#10 ·
I'll give you guys credit for having more b_lls than me! I try to never travel to other states unless they have a reciprocity concealment agreement with VA muchless go to Mexico...

#11 ·
Gunnert with AZ Beemer Members living right on the Border and riding Mexico on a quarterly basis, we've learned the ropes on Mexico decades ago and there are locations South of the Border that we avoid at all costs. Plus we absolutely never ever ride after Dark or before Sunrise, it is much safer for us that way.

#12 ·
Some comparative annual murder rates -

4.8 / 100,000 Americans in United States

6.8 / 100,000 Americans in Houston, Tx.

7.5 / 100,000 Americans in Orlando, Fl. (Disneyland, anyone ?)

15.2 / 100,000 Americans in Chicago, Il.

2.1 / 100,000 Americans in Mexico.

Hmmmmm . . .

Here's a map of crime in Chicago. If you live in Fuller Park, you are subjected to >4000 crimes / 100,000.

Here's a map of murders in Mexico (link). If you click on an area, the murder data for that area will pop up. As you can see, if you avoid the border towns, and avoid the weed growing area in the western Sierra Madres, you'll probably be OK. Just like you should avoid Fuller in Chicago and Compton in LA.

Mexico Crime

#15 ·
"I've signed up. Happy now??"

Ecstatic, I have added you to the Roster! yamafitter - Billy Fitz is on board!

That's Great Guillermo, very glad to hear this! K1600 Forum: At 1900 on 7/26 there are only 4 openings left for this Real de Catorce and Huasteca, Mexico trip!

1. canucklehead-biker
2. BeemerDonS
3. bbolesaz - BB
4. Back Road Bob
5. CHRIS_D
6. D Wells
7. BearTrax
8. yamafitter

#16 ·
Got the confirmation email on the deposit from Skip this morning… looking forward to this one! Griff - Alberta, Canada
Griff, same here ese! Mas Caminos y mas Amigos! Suerte!

​REF: HUASTECA MEXICO: CUSTOM TOUR MAR. 9 - 18, 2015

Dear Don,
This letter serves to confirm receipt of your reservation and deposit for the above mentioned tour and date. We are pleased to know that you will be traveling with us. Should you wish to share your MOTODISCOVERY riding experience with any friends or riding companions, we will gladly forward our tour literature to them at your request. Just give us a call.

You will receive the MOTODISCOVERY Tour Information Booklet approximately 45 days prior to the tour, along with other details you should find helpful in your planning. This packet will include a listing of hotels, the rendezvous hotel and location of meeting place. For tours requiring preparation of travel documents and vehicle insurance, you will be sent forms to be filled out and returned to our office, permitting us to have this aspect of our service performed in advance of the tour.

Accommodations are booked on a double occupancy basis, two to a room. Unless you specifically indicated a desire for a single room we will attempt to select a rooming partner for you. We need to remind you that if for any reason we are unable to make that selection and you end up in a single room, you will be charged the additional supplement. We will be fair in this regard and try to spare you of these additional charges.

Please note that should your tour involve purchasing of airline tickets, you are asked to contact the MotoDiscovery office first before making that purchase in order to be certain that the tour will be going as scheduled. Book your flight to arrive prior to 5:pM on rendezvous day and fly out after 6:pM on the final day.

Thank you again for choosing MotoDiscovery. We are looking forward to traveling with you.
Regards,
Nancy Mascorro
/ Reservations​​​
--
685 Persimmon Hill
Bulverde, TX 78163
Office (830) 438-7744
info@motodiscovery.com

Click here to receive our Navigator Newsletter!

#21 · (Edited)
Brother Spinto, please consider yourself cordially invited to join us on this ride!

If you currently don't have/own a dirt bike, MD rents Suzuki DR650's reasonably!

Here is our Italian Friend Paolo riding one of Skip's rental DR's, in great shape and low mileage. Interesting story on Paolo, back home in Milan the largest moto he had ever operated was his Vespa 300 but he did an incredible job of riding the rough Copper Canyon Trails!

#24 ·
Hello Don,
It was great meeting Jim and I do hope he'll consider joining us.
I can land him a DR650 Suzuki, outfitted for $750. That would be a perfect bike for this trip.
Encourage him to drop me a note or call if he has any questions.
Saludos amigo,
Skip Mascorro
FOUNDER

685 Persimmon Hill
Bulverde, TX 78163
PH (830) 438-7744
skip@motodiscovery.com
Click here to receive the Navigator Newsletter!

On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 8:20 AM, Don Stanley <beemerdons@aol.com> wrote:
From my Friend Jim F. of Washington State: I will also have to rent a bike, again how much?

Today I attended a vintage motorcycle show at the LeMay Auto Museum in Tacoma. While there I ran in to Skip Mascorro. What a nice fellow and of course he had many complements about you, which are all well deserved.

So are there any opening for the March 2015 ride to Mexico? If so how much? I will also have to rent a bike, again how much?

I think it is time to change thing up and this ride just might be the ticket.

Once again it sure was a pleasure riding with you during SW-FOG.

I retire in 2 years and 4 months. I hope to join some of the rides you organize when I don't have to work anymore.

Thanks,

Jim F.

Huasteca Mexico Adventure Expedition Motorcycle Tour Hola Jim, it would be fantastic if you could make this Expedition with us. I will make sure you have a spot on this tour even if it sells out at twelve, Skip and I are long time friends: He'll work with me!

The cost of the tour is $3,389 and I have already sent Skip my $800 deposit, prior to the trip I will send Nancy Mascorro the $2,589 balance.

I will send Skip an email regarding the rental bike cost, I know on the 9-day Copper Canyon tour a BMW GS Sertao supplement is $1000.

Mas Caminos y mas Amigos, Suerte!

Don Stanley
Chandler, AZ

beemerdons@aol.com
Cell #: 480-440-4666

#25 ·
At Noon on 8/26 there are only 3 openings left for this Real de Catorce and Huasteca, Mexico trip! Fontanaman Jim has been added to the Attendance Roster!

1. canucklehead-biker
2. BeemerDonS
3. bbolesaz - BB
4. Back Road Bob
5. CHRIS_D
6. D Wells
7. BearTrax
8. yamafitter
9. Fontanaman-Jim

#26 ·
BUMP REMINDER: On 9/7 there are only three openings left for the "Mother of all Mexico Dirt Bike Rides", don't miss the chance to ride the tropical wilderness trails and roads of the Huasteca-Potosina region with infamous Polish-Mexican Bandito Billy Fitz - The Scourge of the Sierra Madre, ese! *jes' sayin' and nuff said, eh!

#27 ·
Getting some offroad riding practice in before our Mexico Expedition next March. Photos and narrative from AZ Beemers Member Gary "Mudslide" Miller!

Five of us had a great ride to Crown King yesterday. *Don, Barry, Ty, Brian & Gary had breakfast at The Mill Restaurant out on the nice cool shaded patio and then 3 of us continued on back across I-17 to Bloody Basin Rd & on down Cave Creek Rd back to the pavement. *The dirt roads were in pretty good shape considering the recent storms. *Crown King Road had been regraded & Bloody Basin had a few rutted out areas but nothing major. The views were spectacular & the desert is pretty plush green right now after all the rain. Usually by end of summer it is burnt brown. I logged 65 miles of pavement & 105 miles of dirt. Fortunately the temps were tolerable, even after we got back to Cave Creek. *Great day, great ride & great company.* Thanks to Don for organizing.

View on the way to Crown King

View on Crown King Rd

Crown King Rd

Arriving in CK

At The Mill Restaurant

Barry & Don looking pretty hungry

Brian & Ty

Acorn woodpecker having breakfast

View from Bloody Basin Rd

Bloody Basin Rd

Bloody Basin Rd winding down the mountain

A nice green desert

A rest stop at Bloody Basin & Cave Creek roads

Brian & his Yamaha Tenere

Ty & his BMW F700

#30 ·
We did the Real de Catorce ride with MotoDiscovery a few years back (as part of the Colonial Mexico tour) - that's NOT off-road riding at all - we did it with a group on K1200 LT's. You will see some gravel and improved dirt roads - but even the dirt roads there have good drainage and virtually all have speed bumps. Great riding in that part of the world - epic mountain roads - just watch out for goats and burros behind the next bluff in the twisties.

For those who say they won't go into Mexico - I understand why, but disagree - we take a friggin motorcycle out on the road, with no seat belts air airbags, no protective metal shell, and ride among smart-phone-addled idiots, yet Mexico intimidates?

It is the IDEA of Mexico - what the media tells people about Mexico is what keeps you away - the reality is that in most areas of Mexico, you are, on average, safer than in the U.S., also on average. ****, there are over 7,000 American retirees living happily in one Mexican city alone - San Miguel de Allende, representing more than 10% of the city's 59,000 population. It is an amazing UNESCO World Heritage Site - a place anyone can visit and feel like a local.

Like the urban ills in the U.S, the people who are targeted for crime tend to be criminals or live among them. We have a house near Baltimore, where there are murders almost every day. I do carry when inside the city, but have never felt in danger. Attacks on American tourists are very very rare - so they make big news when they happen - but a lot more tourists are attacked every year in New York City than in all of Mexico. With that said, the case of the American Marine who made a wrong turn carrying weapons is disturbing - but like all of the cases I have heard about, including the 2012 killing of a tourist (David Hartley was jet skiing in an area known to be used by narco-traffickers) on the Rio Grande's Falcon Lake, there has been a "story" behind almost every incident - like carrying weapons into Mexico illegally. A mistake, yes, perhaps an honest mistake, but still a violation. Come on in, the water’s fine, or why there’s no logic in fearing a trip to Mexico | National Post

I carry a gun pretty much everywhere and have Maryland and VA carry permits. The Maryland permit is among the hardest in the U.S. to obtain, and I use it to carry almost weekly. Some would consider this paranoid, but I like insurance. Yet I still go to Mexico, typically two-up, often without a group, and without protection.

We leave the guns behind when going into Canada or Mexico, and have never felt threatened, even a little bit. I can't say that about South Dakota and Kansas, both places where my "protection" did us no good when needed. None of us are getting out of here alive. It isn't about b*lls at all - like riding a motorcycle, it is what makes life worth living.

A friend asked my wife and me why we took a two-month trip through Africa last year - a place where the corrupt police made us pay bribes daily, and where the animals, diseases, poor water, limited electrical power, bad roads, and remote services make it far more dangerous than anything in Mexico. We also never felt endangered there, even when dealing with bad cops and shady black market fuel dealer. Our pat response to people asking why we "take chances" is "We've raised our kids, completed our careers, and now spend some of our time doing things to give back, and the rest doing interesting things - and we plan to be dead for a very long time."

I highly recommend anything MotoDiscovery does - especially Mexico. Lee-Ann and I look forward to joining them on the Bob's BMW tour of Cuba next March, before riding the Ayres Adventures Epic Journey through Latvia, Russia, Kazakhstan, Siberia, Mongolia, China and Hong Kong next summer.

Links to the Cuba and Epic rides below:

Bobs BMW CUBA Motorcycle Tour

The Epic Journey - Moscow to Hong Kong by Motorcycle | Ayres Adventures

On a sobering note - Ron Ayres has had to stop riding for now - he's battling stage four liver cancer and had to leave the exploration trip for the Epic Adventure. That ride has been taken over by Ron's most senior guide, John Jesson, a great guy. Ron is hunkering down on the gulf coast while he battles this thing. Ride while you can.

Vaya con dios amigos!

#31 ·
We did the Real de Catorce ride with MotoDiscovery a few years back (as part of the Colonial Mexico tour) - that's NOT off-road riding at all - we did it with a group on K1200 LT's. You will see some gravel and improved dirt roads - but even the dirt roads there have good drainage and virtually all have speed bumps. Great riding in that part of the world - epic mountain roads - just watch out for goats and burros behind the next bluff in the twisties.

For those who say they won't go into Mexico - I understand why, but disagree - we take a friggin motorcycle out on the road, with no seat belts air airbags, no protective metal shell, and ride among smart-phone-addled idiots, yet Mexico intimidates?

It is the IDEA of Mexico - what the media tells people about Mexico is what keeps you away - the reality is that in most areas of Mexico, you are, on average, safer than in the U.S., also on average. ****, there are over 7,000 American retirees living happily in one Mexican city alone - San Miguel de Allende, representing more than 10% of the city's 59,000 population. It is an amazing UNESCO World Heritage Site - a place anyone can visit and feel like a
local.

Like the urban ills in the U.S, the people who are targeted for crime tend to be criminals or live among them. We have a house near Baltimore, where there are murders almost every day. I do carry when inside the city, but have never felt in danger. Attacks on American tourists are very very rare - so they make big news when they happen - but a lot more tourists are attacked every year in New York City than in all of Mexico. With that said, the case of the American Marine who made a wrong turn carrying weapons is disturbing - but like all of the cases I have heard about, including the 2012 killing of a tourist (David Hartley was jet skiing in an area known to be used by narco-traffickers) on the Rio Grande's Falcon Lake, there has been a "story" behind almost every incident - like carrying weapons into Mexico illegally. A mistake, yes, perhaps an honest mistake, but still a violation. Come on in, the water’s fine, or why there’s no logic in fearing a trip to Mexico | National Post

I carry a gun pretty much everywhere and have Maryland and VA carry permits. The Maryland permit is among the hardest in the U.S. to obtain, and I use it to carry almost weekly. Some would consider this paranoid, but I like insurance. Yet I still go to Mexico, typically two-up, often without a group, and without protection.

We leave the guns behind when going into Canada or Mexico, and have never felt threatened, even a little bit. I can't say that about South Dakota and Kansas, both places where my "protection" did us no good when needed. None of us are getting out of here alive. It isn't about b*lls at all - like riding a motorcycle, it is what makes life worth living.

A friend asked my wife and me why we took a two-month trip through Africa last year - a place where the corrupt police made us pay bribes daily, and where the animals, diseases, poor water, limited electrical power, bad roads, and remote services make it far more dangerous than anything in Mexico. We also never felt endangered there, even when dealing with bad cops and shady black market fuel dealer. Our pat response to people asking why we "take chances" is "We've raised our kids, completed our careers, and now spend some of our time doing things to give back, and the rest doing interesting things - and we plan to be dead for a very long time."

I highly recommend anything MotoDiscovery does - especially Mexico. Lee-Ann and I look forward to joining them on the Bob's BMW tour of Cuba next March, before riding the Ayres Adventures Epic Journey through Latvia, Russia, Kazakhstan, Siberia, Mongolia, China and Hong Kong next summer.

Links to the Cuba and Epic rides below:

Bobs BMW CUBA Motorcycle Tour

The Epic Journey - Moscow to Hong Kong by Motorcycle | Ayres Adventures

On a sobering note - Ron Ayres has had to stop riding for now - he's battling stage four liver cancer and had to leave the exploration trip for the Epic Adventure. That ride has been taken over by Ron's most senior guide, John Jesson, a great guy. Ron is hunkering down on the gulf coast while he battles this thing. Ride while you can.

Vaya con dios amigos!
I will ride in Mexico when they release our Marine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.