BMW K1600 Forum banner

Looking for information on GTL

5K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  Geoff_3 
#1 ·
Hi All,
New here and looking for information on the GTL. I currently ride a 2009 Victory Vision, with cams and tune I'm running 119 HP 117 lb ft, with some other mods. Anyway, reading on the GTL as my next bike, probably sometime next year when I can afford it.

Saw several issues while reading up on the GTL, there were several complaints about the bike tracking left and if not under constant control the bike would wonder.

How often should the valves be checked/adjusted?

How much is the service manual for a GTL? Can they be bought besides from the dealers?

Is there any hope for the stereo system or should I plan on going bluetooth exclusively?

What are somethings I need to look out for? Service issues? What's considered high mileage?

What mods can be done to the bike? Power? Comfort /seats? Electronics? Is there even a need to?

Currently, I'm looking at a 2018 White GTL but it will probably be sold by the time I pull the trigger. Forgive all the questions, however I need to be informed before I buy so as to enjoy every mile like I have out of my 2 Visions....

See less See more
Reactions: Geoff_3
#2 ·
All of your questions have been thoroughly discussed on the forum. You'll be glad to know the forum has a search feature. At the top of the page select "tools", then select "advanced search", then type in what you're looking for.

Duane

Reactions: Geoff_3 and RedCard
#3 ·
Thanks Duane, but I was looking to have conversations with people. I've been using the search engine for a while but somethings get so convoluted in threads where the topic changes half way through or aren't ever finalized..

But hey thanks for the suggestion!!

#4 ·
Some go left and others dont. Mine goes left but doesnt move so long as my hands are on the bars. It requires no counter steer to correct, i simply have to have my hands on the bars.

Book says valve checks are every 18k miles. My bike has 23k on it and I have yet to have it done. From all the reading I have done over the 5 years on this forum, its fairly rare a valve needs shimmed.

Oil and air filter as well as final drive lube change information can be found right here on the forum. Whats a service manual? :grin:

Bluetooth is the way to go regardless of how good the stereo is. The sound quality is so much better and if you use the right ear buds they protect your hearing as well.

Buy the newest bike you can afford. If your looking at 18 models, you should be GTG. These bikes have been fairly refined since about '14. We have members here that have eclipsed 100k miles on these bikes and they just keep going.

Windshields, seats etc are widely available as well as handlebar risers etc.. Russell Day Long is probably the most popular seat builder amongst the members here, I love mine. Bren Tune has a tuner for the bikes. The 18 and newer bikes seem to benefit from them as the throttle has been detuned from the older models. They offer stage 1 and 2 upgrades. Additional lighting can be handled with a Hex Ez-can or other auxiliary controller.

The only down side to these bikes are.. If ridden properly, they eat tires. I get about 6k miles out of a set. My current set... not so much>:) Its a small price to pay for such a fun motorcycle to ride.

Life is short.. buy the damned motorcycle. You will love it!

#5 ·
Darbinco,

Thanks for the response... Yeah, I found a thread regarding ear plugs/buds will be checking it out if the thread doesn't end abruptly! :grin:

Good to know mods and tuners are available, always like to get more performance although it doesn't sound like much is needed. :surprise::surprise:

Yes, I'm very familiar with tires lasting about 6K, I used to run Avon Cobras on my Vision and would go through them all the time about 5 to 6K. I like to ride aggressively and have actually passed several crotch rockets on the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway...Especially when I had a fresh set of Cobras on... >:)

Thanks about the de-tuning on the 18 and newer models hadn't seen that everywhere else! good info!!

#37 ·
Joe. I think that Darbinco addressed all your questions and you asked the correct ones. I had a Victory Crossroads and 2 Indian Road Masters that I loved and like you ran Avon Cobras because the Dunlop E3`s were crap especially in the rain. Over the years I have also had 3 x RT`s and 2 x GTL`s the last was a 2017 and loved it and waiting for BMW to release the new 2019 with the Stop Sale recall, so I dought you will be unhappy with the performance or handling of the BMW`s. As mentioned above buy the latest model that you can afford as most of the issues have been ironed out. No matter what you buy these days they all have some sort of issue even if it is just a small one but BMW do back their products, my local dealership has done warranty work on bikes that are 2 or 3 years out of warranty and BMW have backed it up in most cases. As for tires you buy what you're happy with but go with popular brands like Michelin, Pirelli, Continental, etc and you can't go wrong too much. Most of the tires used on the K1600 and Rt`s are a softer compound compared to the Indian and Victory and Harleys but they are more cruiser type bikes as you know. Good luck and great to see you doing your homework so you can make an informed decision when you're ready.

#6 · (Edited)
Joe,
re: service manuals, I believe i've seen on this forum discussions of the manual being available on CD, and I think there are some third parties selling them. I have not seen anyone like Clymer, Haynes, or any of the other major publications offer one, but I could be wrong. About a month ago, I inquired about an "owner's" manual from the local BMW dealership, and that was going to be like $75, IIRC, and at least a few weeks, if not longer, to get. Seems like I was told that would have to come from Germany. So, with that being the case, no telling what they'd want for a service manual, or how long it would take.

There is so much information on this forum, just like Darbinco said, you most likely could get by without a service manual, unless you're just looking for some new reading material to put you to sleep. With all due respect to Gunnert, I'm not in the least bit impressed with this website's search engine. It sucks just like the one over at the bmwlt.com forum- probably the same platform.

I always like the Visions, but the luggage capacity suffered greatly due to the styling, and then the Cross Country Tour came out, and I thought that was the bomb!

Welcome to the forum!

BTW, in 16 or 17, BMW offered the GTL with reverse, which is really sweet, especially if you're vertically challenged.

Jeff

#7 ·
Joe,
re: service manuals, I believe i've seen on this forum discussions of the manual being available on CD, and I think there are some third parties selling them. I have not seen anyone like Clymer, Haynes, or any of the other major publications offer one, but I could be wrong. About a month ago, I inquired about an "owner's" manual from the local BMW dealership, and that was going to be like $75, IIRC, and at least a few weeks, if not longer, to get. Seems like I was told that would have to come from Germany. So, with that being the case, no telling what they'd want for a service manual, or how long it would take.

There is so much information on this forum, just like Darbinco said, you most likely could get by without a service manual, unless you're just looking for some new reading material to put you to sleep. With all due respect to Gunnert, I'm not in the least bit impressed with this website's search engine. It sucks just like the one over at the bmwlt.com forum- probably the same platform.

I always like the Visions, but the luggage capacity suffered greatly due to the styling, and then the Cross Country Tour came out, and I thought that was the bomb!

Welcome to the forum!

Jeff
Thanks, BikerJ! For the Service Manual I was thinking it would be needed to do odd service items. I have one for the Vision and it has saved me with torque specs, hidden screws, and some guidance. Good to know the forums are full of help and information, though! :smile:

I love my Vision as it's my second one, between the 2 I've racked up over 124,000 on them, agreed, the storage is horrible which I have remedied with a BigD rack, but it still problematic when I ride to work and need to put up my jacket and helmet, it just struggles.

Glad I found the forums and looking forward to buying a GTL, just got to save my pennies before I tell the wife I bought it! :grin:

#8 ·
I ride a 2012 GTL. It tracks slightly left but I can ride hands free when I apply a little “English” to the seat. Mine came with a service manual. My bike has 69,000 mi. When I take it out for a ride, it runs and feels like a brand new machine. Based on everything I’ve read and learned on this forum, and I know I’m pushing it to the extreme, but I’ll be doing my very first valve check this winter. The stereo works ok if you’re below 50mph or so, say in the twisties; faster than that and Bluetooth is the way to go. As stated, I am approaching 70k mi.; engine still runs great and uses ½ quart of oil between changes just as when I bought it off the showroom floor with only 800 mi. (virtually new). I am riding my stock seat; fits me ok at 5’10”. Would like a Russel or a Corbin, but I’ve done 1,150 mi. in a day without a complaint. I’ll buy my Langlitz Leather jacket before a new seat. Plan on additional lighting both front and rear, for safety sake.

#12 ·
bikerj said:
BTW, in 16 or 17, BMW offered the GTL with reverse, which is really sweet, especially if you're vertically challenged.
FYI The reverse came on the 18 models.

You wont find a single 17 GTL in the US because no such animal exists. Theres very, very few 17 GT's and I dont think reverse was on those. I believe... (and this crowd here will correct me if I'm wrong) the first reverse I remember reading about was on the 18 B models, mostly because we had those arrive in the country before the 18 GT and GTL's.

The new body plastic was on those few 17 GT's. There was a fair amount of leftover 15 and 16 GT/GTL's on the floors here in the US. The mothership waited to ship the new K bikes until that supply of 15 and 16 bikes were sold off. When they showed up, they came as 18 models, skipping the 17 model year.

People were buying those 15/16 leftovers in 17 and early 18 at smoking good prices.

#13 ·
Luckily, I'm not vertically challenged, I'm 6' 2" and sitting on the GTL it feels short to me....

I do like the idea of a reverse when you are trying to get over a bump uphill or something. My Vision has it but I've never used it since getting it.

#14 ·
I don't see where anyone covered the horse power of these bikes. 160HP and 129 lbs. ft. of torque. Top end MPH varies from model to model and 2016 and earlier and 2018 and later. The earlier GTL topped out (per BMW) at 138mph the later ones not much over 110mph although many have GPS readings a little higher. As mentioned Bren can re-flash the ECU on the 2018/2019 to be the same as a 2014 so no big deal there.

The GTs are much higher on top end but you've mentioned you're looking at GTLs.

Be aware all new K1600s on the dealer floors are on hold (can't be sold) until a factory specified refit of some transmission parts. Actual information on the problem is here say at this time but I know BMW will step up and have them fixed right. So that white one might still be there when you are ready or maybe you can put a down payment on it so that it's yours when the fix comes in.

Seeing as how you like your Visions it would be prudent to test ride a GTL with your wife. They are definitely different motorcycles. Smoother, definitely, but maybe not as good wind protection or passenger comfort so depending on your wants and desire list it would be an important thing to do. Most BMW dealers will let you test ride for several hours although it might have to be a used GTL because of the factory hold on the new ones.
Good luck in your quest.

#17 ·
Arizona Jim great information, thanks! I did not know they were on hold...I hadn't read that anywhere! I've test ridden the GTL a few years ago, but I didn't take or have the wife with me...Now for a second test ride! :grin:

#22 ·
The guy that does videos called "living on the slab" found on YouTube traded a Vision for an 18 BMW K1600 GTL. He explains why the trade and what he thinks about the bike. You might find interesting. It's even a white GTL.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
Thanks, I just finished watching his 3 part series, good information! Funny thing is he has exactly what I'm looking for!! 2018 White K1600 GTL

#21 ·
:frown:Hi Joe,

After 23,000 miles in a little over 12 months I've learnt a lot about the GTL. Overall its a great bike on a smiles per mile basis. Great engine and good handling. I also have every extra factory fitted and would highly recommend Reverse (she weighs a great deal fully loaded and reverse has been from time to time essential). Hill start is also a great bonus for the same reasons. Quick shift makes the most of the engine, once accustomed to its use you'll never want to go back to using a clutch all the time.

Accessories.

The seat for me was a torture contraption, others have said its OK. I took a leap of faith and ordered a Russel Day Long last winter. What a difference it has made. I can and have ridden for over 1,000 miles in a day and the seat is simply no factor....great comfort all the way which would just have been impossible on the stock seat. I'm 6'5", my Russel is 2" higher than the stock extra tall and therefore the stock screen did not give me the coverage I needed height wise. I replaced it with CalSci XXL. Now I sit in a bubble of calm at all speeds. Stock luggage is adequate but highly recommend bag liners for all three. Its amazing how much more can be loaded and unloading to the tent or hotel is a snap. Wouldn't leave home without them. Wunderlich Media Bag, Dash Bag and Side Stand foot plate again are all essential items. Both bags are so handy, the media bag is connected to an auxiliary USB fed direct from the battery using Optimate cabling and fixtures. The USB charges both my phone and a Power Pack. The extended side stand footplate is a must, soft ground will cause a tipover if not very careful.

Problems.

Maybe I've been unlucky. Issues with the bike started within a day of delivery and have continued to date. Failed Speed Sensors, Lean Angle Sensors, Screen Cracking, Electrical fittings, Hill Start Failure, NAV VI failure, GPS cradle failure x 2, Handle Bar loose switching clusters etc etc. However the biggest problems, evident since delivery from new, are as still outstanding. Oil Consumption and the infamous Left Pull. My bike uses a liter of oil on average every 1,000-1,200 miles. The left pull is a pain in the a** .

Would I buy a GTL again.....most probably as there is nothing to compare it with currently on the market for what I need. Fast long distance touring is my order of the day. BMW are currently fixing the OIL and PULL issues....hopefully and have had the bike for a month so far

#26 ·
Thanks for the post. I had all the same questions on my '18 gtl (and some niggles) you just addressed. I will get them sorted out because this bike is just delicious. Left pull and GPS cradle are persistent. I haven't owned it long enough to experience the oil over consumption but will keep an eye peeled for it. Bren just emailed that my ECU is on the way back to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.