Long-term test Kawasaki H2 SX SE - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 07-11-2019, 02:12 PM

Garage
No, it doesn’t.only a four banger......

2018 BMW K1600 GT
2018 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)

2014 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)
2005-2014 5 HD ElectraGlides (sold)
2003 HD Softail (sold)
1973-1982 various jalopies (gone)

'You know that the world is going to h€ll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
After Douglas Adams RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 07-11-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbinco View Post
Huh.. the first service due at 600 miles costing 230 dollars.

Second service at 7600 miles.

Valve check at 15,200 miles costing approximately 1000 bucks.

Wears out tires at 5-6k miles...

Any of this sound familiar?

I think it's a cool bike but I couldn't do the ergo's for more than 50 miles.
Yeah, and reliability might also be questionable. That bike sure does have a lot in common with the K

I called around to my local Kawasaki dealers and no one has a SX SE in stock. Wonder if inventory is low due to high sales #'s, or just low production #'s?

Last edited by atc250r; 07-11-2019 at 05:10 PM.
post #13 of 16 Old 07-11-2019, 07:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc250r View Post
Yeah, and reliability might also be questionable. That bike sure does have a lot in common with the K

I called around to my local Kawasaki dealers and no one has a SX SE in stock. Wonder if inventory is low due to high sales #'s, or just low production #'s?
I'm guessing low production numbers and higher end cost of the bike. 22k is a good chunk of money and pushes back against the traditional idea of "bang for your buck" of Japanese made bikes.

Freedom is the miles I'm rollin' on!

I'm ridin' a 2014 K1600 GTL and I am loving every minute of it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 Old 07-11-2019, 10:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobervol View Post
O-Ren Ishii is subtle and classy? I agree those words both have "well understood definitions," but I fail to see how lopping a guy's head off with a sword, then screaming at everyone as his decapitated neck spews a guyser of blood all over everyone else at the table, is either subtle or classy. Neither is participating in a hit squad with full-auto weapons, which tries to murder everyone at a wedding. Just sayin'.
Umm... yes. Right up until she lops somneones head off We are talking about appearances, an image, not performance.
Tinman likes this.

2012 BMW K1600GTL
post #15 of 16 Old 07-12-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Luv View Post
I have a suggestion...with all these blowers helping meet emissions etc, I don't know why they have to downsize the displacement. Like the F-150...why not put the supercharger on the V-8? Why do they have to downsize to a V-6? They still get about the same mileage and I bet the compression is quite high. Here's my suggestion...instead of leaning out the throttle response on the K16 like they have for emissions standards (presumably)...why can't they offer a tidy little blower on it??

It's not a real question, more rhetorical. I am not sufficiently motor engineering savvy to begin to understand how the design parameters would have to altered to accomplish such a feat, but...it sounds good to me.
Driven at moderate boost, the smaller cc's and 6 cylinders will be more fuel efficient and generate less emissions. Pushed hard at higher boost, it has comparable HP/TQ as a larger displacement engines.

I would imagine the 998cc H2 SX would be more fuel efficient compared to the much larger 1441cc ZX14R. The best I could get out of the ZX14R I had was about 35mpg. Whack the loud handle and it easily gets worse. But whoa nelly... the acceleration. seriously though, who da heck buys a ZX14R or H2 and worry about gas mileage.

If the ZX14R insurance premium wasn't so ridiculously horrendous, I would still have it in my garage. The H2-SX actually has the perfect ergos for me, but the same outrageous insurance premium means I won't be getting one any time soon. Shame. BMW doesn't have anything that comes close to these hypersport tourers.
J-Luv likes this.

2014 K1600GT Sport
post #16 of 16 Old 07-12-2019, 04:52 PM

The guy I ride with every week has one (among his three bikes). I have ridden it a couple of times, quite a few miles. I also know the owner of the dealer pretty well.

First of all, it is a very nice, refined bike. Everything about the way it drives feels very "polished". Power is everywhere, but in a controlled manner. When I test rode the dealer demo I power wheeled it at about 80mph without trying at all.

My friend hated the stock seat so he had Sargent make a custom seat for it. He also added about one inch risers. He is pretty comfortable on it now and frequently has done 300 mile days on it. Having said that, he told me the other day he will not likely keep it too long. His other two bikes are an FJR for long distance trips and a Superduke R which he prefers for day rides.

The bike did not jump off the showroom floors, so our dealer offered $3,000 discounts fairly quickly. Since then he has sold quite a few of them. But it's certainly not for everyone. But what bike is?

I'd love to have one, but at this point there is not a spot in my lineup for it. If my friend sells his I MIGHT consider buying it.

BTW, as far as reliability, Kawasaki engines are pretty bulletproof, and this is a slightly detuned version of an engine they have been selling for 2-3 years. And don't forget they have been selling supercharged jet skis for a few years.

I just noticed the post above regarding gas mileage. My friend says it's pretty easy to average mid 40s on his. Keep in mind that we have pretty boring roads to get to the good ones.

Jim
2017 Yamaha FJR1300...Prev 2013 & 2015 1600GT,
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale ABS....2017 KTM 1290 Superduke GT

Last edited by jjscsix; 07-12-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page