Am I In The Minority? - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 86Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 08-15-2019, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Am I In The Minority?

I do not like this at all. If I wanted a Harley, I would go get a Harley or blow the dust off the couple in the garage. I'm not knocking it, it's just not for me and it disapoints me because it feels like BMW trying to be Harley. I understand marketing and branding and expanding but it just looks contrived to me.

Maybe somebody wants a Harley but better?

Interesting to see from concept to production...

So, am I in the minority? Is this something any of you will rush out and get?

Thanks.
TCinWA, astros50 and Maico Guy like this.

There is thy gold, worse poison to men's souls,
Doing more murders in this loathsome world,
Than these poor compounds that thou mayst not sell.
I sell thee poison; thou hast sold me none.

Last edited by PLAGUE; 08-15-2019 at 04:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 08-15-2019, 04:07 PM

Garage
I really dislike the B and GA so there's no way I'm going to like this thing.
Gunnert, TCinWA, capav8r and 4 others like this.

A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood. George S. Patton
2014 K16GT
post #3 of 41 Old 08-15-2019, 04:10 PM

Garage
As an update to the 1930's R5 its impressive, but i'm not really into that style of bike.

I bet it'll be a big seller though when on sale next year.
PLAGUE likes this.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaim: "Wow, what a ride".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 08-15-2019, 04:11 PM

Garage
I really like it, I don't want one but I do like the stripped back minimalist look. Good luck to BMW and good on em' for trying, I hope it sells well.
PLAGUE likes this.

2019 K1600 GT LE
post #5 of 41 Old 08-15-2019, 05:04 PM

Garage
Different strokes for different folks. I was thinking it before I read what @Johnnybow had written. Lots of folks don't like the B or GA...for various reasons. My sense is that they wonder why BMW would take their touted sport tour platform and reduce it to a sport-bagger. Assumption is because they wanted to sell more bikes in the american market and Americans buy a lot of bagger styled bikes. And lots of folks like the ergos of the bagger. It flowed from the Roland Sands one-off concept 101. There are a couple of the R9T bikes that appeal to me stylistically, but ergonomically no freakin way. There is something about this bike that I like. I guess it's the minimalist style. Not quite steam punk but not far from it. Would I buy? Nope, not unless I was just collecting motorized artwork. Bikes are often beautiful to look at...I mean, who wants an ugly bike no matter how fun? Well, maybe, but not at BMW prices. But the true beauty of a bike is like a good woman; the cosmetic surface may fade and sag, but the heart inside, and what she does to make your heart thump, that's the one to keep. I don't see my heart thumping for miles and miles on this thing. It would turn heads pulling into the parking lot for tacos on a Saturday afternoon, though.

James

18 K16GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with matching BMW top-box, Bomber Brown RDL, Denali D7s, Ilium f&r bars with highway pegs
IBA # 63673
14 FJR-ES Candy Red (sold)
83 CB1100F Blue White & Red (in a garage);
83 CB1100F Red White & Black (in a shed);
76 CR125 Elsinore Red (sold);
73? CB125S Torquoise (sold)
post #6 of 41 Old 08-15-2019, 06:06 PM

Garage
I don't think BMW is trying to be Harley. They're just trying to sell motorcycles. A lot of folks in this country have partaken of the Harley Kool-Aid and think the only motorcycle available is a cruiser/bagger style. They recognized the BMW brand as an upscale brand and see that a bagger is available. The consumer doesn't have to wear Harley crap and they get their cruiser bike.

RevTexDave, TCinWA, PLAGUE and 1 others like this.

David A.
IBA: 37338
BMWMOA: 139753
2012 GTL Mineral Silver Metallic
post #7 of 41 Old 08-15-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAGUE View Post
I do not like this at all. If I wanted a Harley, I would go get a Harley or blow the dust off the couple in the garage. I'm not knocking it, it's just not for me and it disapoints me because it feels like BMW trying to be Harley. I understand marketing and branding and expanding but it just looks contrived to me.
Thanks.
I don't know if you're in the minority, but I agree with you.

I came from Harley's. I gravitated to BMW because they were much more about function than image. But I can't fault BMW for doing what they can to increase market share. As long as they just nibble at the fringes with bikes like the B, GA, and possibly now with this R18, I'll stay a BMW fan.
Maico Guy and PLAGUE like this.
post #8 of 41 Old 08-15-2019, 06:39 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to bagman
Reminded me if this one sort of except for the wooden rear brake shoe. I would have to black out the engine covers and exhaust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	76B1D27B-81AC-4595-B1B1-B0DF6AA51029_1565905075077.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	131132  
RevTexDave and PLAGUE like this.

Steve
post #9 of 41 Old 08-15-2019, 06:45 PM

Garage
Its okay, you would have to really want that look. But then I feel the same way about a lot of bikes. If someone gave me one of those other bikes I wouldn't ride it that much but it would look nice in the collection. There is however a long list of other things I gotta have (like a GS) that I would use before I would even consider buying one of these.
PLAGUE and JohnS1955 like this.

2012 BMW K1600GTL
post #10 of 41 Old 08-15-2019, 07:10 PM

Garage
I have always liked the look of a bobber for nothing more than show and cruising around town. But really, something would have to be done with the engine in this one. It is monstrous. The size and protrusion of the cylinders in this BMW engine takes away from the look of the rest of the bike. A nice KTM V-Twin would look good in there (are you listening KTM?). I do like the reversed brake and clutch levers, those are cool. And I think the Goldwing still has the title for largest production motorcycle with a boxer engine at 1833cc. Maybe he meant largest two cylinder boxer engine?
PLAGUE likes this.

Joe

2014 GTL Exclusive, 2018 Goldwing DCT, 2017 KTM 1290 SDGT, 2014 KTM 500 Exc, 2011 KTM 990 Dakar, 2004 Goldwing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page