HD 2021 Pan America - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 11-14-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

HD 2021 Pan America

Interesting overview...I think HD is making a better "venture" with this Pan America offering than their electric bike. Will have to see what the actual end product actually is.

https://advrider.com/harley-davidson...ent=11_13_2019

Bernie

Former: 1981 Suzuki GS450, 1991 HD FXSTC, 1995 HD FLHTCU 30th Anniversary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 11-14-2019, 10:39 AM

Garage
Its another mishmash of old thinking. It presupposes that there is a market for people who want to ride ADV bikes with style from the 70s (other than the TFT). The front end is fugly as.. It honestly looks like a first year CAD project. On the other hand hey, if the price is high enough it may make the GS look like a bargain in comparison.

Harley, Harley, Harley. You need a new audience, which for you means giving up some of your old thinking. You need to appeal to what the market wants today if you want to be competitive with the likes of BMW, Ducati, Triumph, KTM in their strongholds. Look what BMW is doing to you, they took a modern design and dressed it up like one of your baggers and it hurts doesn't it. Beaten at your own game. If you don't figure out how to get out of your rut you are going to die the death of a thousand cuts as every niche runs away from you. I think you have lost your way. Start with why would I buy an ADV from Harley? These are bikes that are supposed to be nimble, rugged, and handle well which would be.. to be kind, not your core strengths. Oh, I know you are going to reach back into your archives to find old footage of an old HD climbing some dirt hill to convince everyone you have the heritage and chops but that isn't enough. It may have been 10 years ago but as your target market ages you need to appeal to the younger end of the demographic as the older end has already been trained to think the GS and its ilk are the way to go. The world has moved on and you are playing from behind on all fronts now, how about taking some of that money and jumping ahead of the pack. Give the market a reason to take you seriously. Be Modern, be Bold, be Innovative. Don't be boring, polarizing, lazy, and mixed in your messaging. I have nothing against HD, I want everyone to win as it is good for the market but, I need a reason to buy something from you and its just not there. KTM maybe, Ducati, yes, BMW yes, Yamaha yes, HD... not so much. Your brand message is passion, freedom, power, individualism, and courage yet what you show is conservatism, safety in styling, a complete lack of passion in where the market is, and extraordinary attention to trying to be ordinary. You have the brand presence that forces the audience to pay attention whenever you announce something but you can only turn people away so many times with false starts and broken promises before they simply give up.
Tinman, joe schmoe, svfiat and 1 others like this.

2012 BMW K1600GTL
post #3 of 26 Old 11-14-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthling View Post
Give the market a reason to take you seriously. Be Modern, be Bold, be Innovative.
They tried that with the LiveWire, but that hasn't resonated with their core market and nobody else seems to care...

Ken IBA# 366
'13 K16GTL & '09 K13GT-LD
Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full.
All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 11-14-2019, 11:20 AM

Garage
I see where they think it might be a market worth getting into however... can they put the options on it to really compete? I am thinking of ride modes, ESA, traction control etc.. and still be competitive price wise?

This one on the other hand is new and kind of exciting to see from them. I believe this is a step in the right direction if its got bells and whistles to compete with other bikes in its class. In hindsight, I bet HD wishes they would have run with the Buell bikes years ago instead of killing them off. Theres no way this bike could run with my S1000XR but I wouldnt mind a test ride just for the fun of it.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...les/bronx.html
earthling likes this.

Freedom is the miles I'm rollin' on!

2014 GTL
2016 S1000 XR
post #5 of 26 Old 11-14-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbinco View Post
I see where they think it might be a market worth getting into however... can they put the options on it to really compete? I am thinking of ride modes, ESA, traction control etc.. and still be competitive price wise?

This one on the other hand is new and kind of exciting to see from them. I believe this is a step in the right direction if its got bells and whistles to compete with other bikes in its class. In hindsight, I bet HD wishes they would have run with the Buell bikes years ago instead of killing them off. Theres no way this bike could run with my S1000XR but I wouldnt mind a test ride just for the fun of it.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...les/bronx.html
When they backed away from Buell, I think they really started closing up the brand quite a bit. They still had the touring bikes, but everything else really seemed to gravitate towards the same look across the rest of the lineup. Kind of shrinks market opportunity when a company limits itself. Tough to break a new path into areas outside the core, but I no reason it cannot be done if a quality product can be brought to market.
Darbinco and TigerGA like this.

Bernie

Former: 1981 Suzuki GS450, 1991 HD FXSTC, 1995 HD FLHTCU 30th Anniversary
post #6 of 26 Old 11-14-2019, 05:46 PM

Garage
@Darbinco , yeah, I like the looks of that bike quite a bit. I've never ridden an HD, but that looks like a modern, well engineered machine and not at all anachronistic.
Darbinco and earthling like this.

James

‘18 K16GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with matching BMW top-box, Bomber Brown RDL, Denali D7s, Ilium f&r bars with highway pegs
IBA # 63673
‘14 FJR-ES Candy Red (sold)
‘83 CB1100F Blue White & Red (in a garage);
‘83 CB1100F Red White & Black (in a shed);
‘76 CR125 Elsinore Red (sold);
‘73? CB125S Torquoise (sold)
post #7 of 26 Old 11-14-2019, 07:40 PM

Garage
What comes to my mind is that Harley has sold their bikes as support for the "life style" that they have promoted for years. Are they willing to market an alternative "life style" for this type of motorcycle? If so what would it look like? Anything new in the motorcycle world is worth looking at and I hope it brings new riders into the sport, that would benefit us all.

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler
post #8 of 26 Old 11-14-2019, 08:02 PM

Garage
Bring it to market and let's see what happens I would like to Demo it on a ADV trail.

My 2 Cents.
PLAGUE likes this.

Ian

Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.
post #9 of 26 Old 11-14-2019, 09:13 PM

Garage
For what it's worth (from a "classic" traditional Harley "styling" perspective): I don't like the way it looks. It looks like they took what they thought were the best ideas on other bikes in the class, and somehow made them look horrible and tacky and slammed them on an awkward looking platform. It looks like something kids would build with legos. That bike looks like Frankenstein's monster painted orange. I'm not Harley bashing (two in garage). I'm just saying YUCK!! Not for me.

However, as stated by @flyjets - I would like to run it up and down some dirt a bunch.

Side thought: Who is the target audience? I'm thinking outside the box...

Google says -

Pangender is a non-binary gender defined as being more than one gender. A pangender person may consider themselves a member of all genders. The prefix pan is Greek and means "all". Pangender is a kind of third gender, much like bigender, trigender, or genderqueer.

There is thy gold, worse poison to men's souls,
Doing more murders in this loathsome world,
Than these poor compounds that thou mayst not sell.
I sell thee poison; thou hast sold me none.

Last edited by PLAGUE; 11-15-2019 at 09:19 AM.
post #10 of 26 Old 11-14-2019, 09:32 PM

Not a fan of the looks. Seems like something you'd see crawling across Mars in a Star Wars movie. I don't know how HD intends to pull away riders from established brands like Triumph, BMW, Ducati, KTM, etc. And, like everything HD, this bike will be premium priced. HD's core riders are not ADV guys and I don't see ADV guys giving this bike a second look.
PLAGUE likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page