Bushtec Trailer Hitch Questions - Page 4 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 34 Old 06-12-2019, 08:19 AM

I took my bike in for service last week. When the tech saw the trailer hitch he pointed out that BMW recommends not to pull a trailer. He said that the drive shaft is made in two pieces fused together with rubber and the extra weight of the trailer can cause the shaft to fail. I told him that I had never heard of a drive shaft failing and I didn't think pulling a Unigo would add that much stress to the drive shaft. He said he just wanted me to be aware.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Al

K1600GTL
K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 06-12-2019, 11:07 AM

Of course, BMW doesn't recommend it.

I never had any driveshaft issues on my '12 GTL up to 60,000 miles, some of that pulling rather large trailers. Nor on my '13 GTL, even after pulling 1,100 lbs at freeway speeds for a thousand miles up I-5.

Now I did get a notchy u-joint on my K1300GT at around 60,000 miles, but that bike has never pulled a trailer...

Ken IBA# 366
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD
Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from . . .
post #33 of 34 Old 06-12-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Dealerships are different, mine, Morton’s, will install a hitch for you.

Duane

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 34 Old 06-12-2019, 09:13 PM

Thanks for that feedback. Between the awesome directions on this forum and the Bushtec people offering to help over the phone, I've decided to gather all my parts, wake up early, prime some music and with a good zen attitude tackle it myself.

I got the feeling from the dealers that they simply didn't want the responsibility. I said I had all the parts and it was made for the bike. They are probably saying...."yeah, you think all the parts are there, they probably are not, your bike is apart and something doesn't work and all of a sudden its our problem"

I will love having this trailer when all hooked up. Won't use it often but it will be super on the overnight camping adventures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page