Puig Touring Windshield and Extra-tall BMW Seat Improve Rider Experience - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 Old 04-02-2018, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Exclusive Extra High Bench Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnert View Post
That's a new one on me, "BMW Extra-high Seat"? Didn't know they made such a thing. How about posting a part number, I'd be interested in seeing one.

Duane
The Exclusive Extra High Bench Seat I ordered was part number: 52-53-8-561-778 that listed for $731.98. I just popped the lock cylinder out and snapped it into the new seat. It obviously higher in the front and more crowned, however it is stitched and styled identical to the standard seat. It also includes all the passenger position heated seat components. Below I listed the three seats I picked from.

https://parts.crosscountrycycle.net/...538561778.html

1 Seat bench 'Exclusive' extra high, black
K 1600 GTL Exc. Required: 1
$731.98
01 Seat bench 'Exclusive' high in black
$731.98
01 Seat bench 'Exclusive' in black
$731.98

Last edited by edobernig; 04-02-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 Old 04-02-2018, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarkusNY View Post
Thanks for the pictures of the Puig Windscreen. I noticed that the shield extends quite a bit to the sides. Though our builds are different, I'm 5'10" and 29inch inseam, how is the noise and wind protection compared to the OEM shield, and do have any experience with other screens on your K1600 that you can compare it to? Do you know if they interfere with Aeroflow Aero Wings and Mini Wings? I'm convinced that most of the wind noise I experience is coming from the sides. I'm still looking for a nice quiet ride like my LT and am currently using a VStream Z2464 with the Aeroflow Aero and Mini Wings. Still too much wind noise for my taste. I'm compensating for the noise with ear plugs, but given the choice I'd rather not use them.

I know lots of questions, but inquiring minds want to know!
I cannot compare this to the VStream Tall from a riding stand point. However the Puig is much wider and has a creased wing-like area on each side that extends extremely close to the mirror stalks. It also has a longer and lower profile with a turned-up trailing edge extending much closer to the rider. All I can attest to is that it's significantly better than the OEM for reduced buffeting and noise, compliments the styling of the of the bike and the price point is excellent.
TarkusNY likes this.
post #13 of 29 Old 04-02-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarkusNY View Post
Thanks for the pictures of the Puig Windscreen. I noticed that the shield extends quite a bit to the sides. Though our builds are different, I'm 5'10" and 29inch inseam, how is the noise and wind protection compared to the OEM shield, and do have any experience with other screens on your K1600 that you can compare it to? Do you know if they interfere with Aeroflow Aero Wings and Mini Wings? I'm convinced that most of the wind noise I experience is coming from the sides. I'm still looking for a nice quiet ride like my LT and am currently using a VStream Z2464 with the Aeroflow Aero and Mini Wings. Still too much wind noise for my taste. I'm compensating for the noise with ear plugs, but given the choice I'd rather not use them.

I know lots of questions, but inquiring minds want to know!
The Puig windscreen does not interfere with the Aerowings or mini wings on my 2015 GTL

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
TarkusNY likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 29 Old 04-02-2018, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the Puig info. I ordered one based on the OP's review. Have been putting off getting a new windscreen but this pushed me over the edge.
TarkusNY likes this.

Roger Hammon
Riverview, Florida
2013 GTL
post #15 of 29 Old 04-09-2018, 11:09 PM

I ordered up the Puig windscreen, Figured it was only 140 bucks. I installed it and was kinda surprised how tall it was. It is a tad over 4 inches taller than my stock shield measured from the top screw hole. I am 5'9" with 31 inseam. It was way to tall for me since I hate looking thru the shield. It was much better than stock in every way except impact resistance since it's not polycarbonate. So, I got my jig saw out and removed what ended being 2 inches from the top sides and 3 inches from the center. I can now see over it just fine. It is a big improvement from stock!
post #16 of 29 Old 04-21-2018, 10:01 AM

I too purchased the tall Puig and for $15 the local glass shop cut a couple inches off the top. Much better than stock or the V-stream. Cheaper too.
post #17 of 29 Old 04-21-2018, 10:55 AM

I got a taller Cee Bailey windshield before they quit building them. I like the dark tint too

Scott
2015 K16GT
All gone: R1200RT LC, R1200 GS ADV, K1200 LT, R1150 GS ADV, ST1300s, R100 GSs, R1100 RSs, R100GS/PD
post #18 of 29 Old 04-29-2018, 10:40 AM

edobernig, thank you for your post on the Puig touring screen as I am considering the same one. I am 6'6" with a 36" inseam and the wind buffeting and associated wind noise is not helping my already troubled hearing issues. It looks like the Puig is quite a bit taller than the stock windshield which will help dramatically. Do you think there is still enough adjustment to lower the shield and occasionally take advantage of some fresh summer air for ventilation? I'm worried that I may have to keep it at the lowest setting to see over it, therefore losing flexibility to get some air every now and then. What's your experience with this?

Scooter
post #19 of 29 Old 04-29-2018, 01:22 PM

Garage
I'm about your build. 2018 GTL. Already have the high seat. Wind noise is really bothersome at speed (over 80), but I prefer to look over the screen than through it. Can you position that Puig screen to look over it and still reduce the wind noise?
post #20 of 29 Old 04-30-2018, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I'm about your build. 2018 GTL. Already have the high seat. Wind noise is really bothersome at speed (over 80), but I prefer to look over the screen than through it. Can you position that Puig screen to look over it and still reduce the wind noise?
I have the Puig windscreen on my 2015 GTL, I'm 6'5. I can't lower the windscreen enough to see clearly over it - there isn't enough travel. The wind noise picks up considerably as it is. The Puig has a lip along the top so if you cut it you lose the lip which I think would impact the airstream. I think the oem screen is going back on.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page