K1600 Passenger Foot Peg riser kit? - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 Old 05-14-2018, 11:01 AM

Garage
Update on the repurposed Suburban Machinery lowering it. I flipped it over and swapped sides and it effectively raised the pegs approximately 1 3/4", however the pegs are also about 3/4" forward, I'll have to report back on how the girlfriend feels about that. The quality of the components is top notch, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the proper kit to raise the pegs, however if in your search, you come across a used lowering kit at a discount (which seems more likely then a used and discounted raising kit), it can be used.

Live to ride. Ride for a living.
Work - 2018 H-D NYPD FLHP
Personal - 2013 BMW K1600GTL
Track - 2005 Suzuki SV650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 05-14-2018, 11:31 AM

Garage
Built my own from oak. Six coats of spar varnish. Been on there for almost six years and 80k miles.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160411_220717.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	118234   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160411_220724.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	118242  

-Stephen! (The rider formerly known as smv)
--
There is NO need to tailgate me when I am doing 50 in a 35 zone... and those flashing lights on top of your car look ridiculous.
post #13 of 25 Old 05-14-2018, 09:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUSAK View Post
Moving her forward will help. Someone on this forum makes a pad that attaches to the trunk positioning the passenger more like the GT. The GTL is 1” further back than the GT making the reach to the pegs longer. Give a cheap piece of foam from the local fabric store a try.... I think you will be surprised. Good luck Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan, not trying to be lazy. I might have read the post you are referring to or may have missed it. Can you post a link?

I have been looking for something to fill the spot below the existing pad on the GTL. The GTLE has a pad already there. Was thinking I could get a something a little professional and stick it on. Wasn’t sure what to use that would do the trick.

How about I have you mod one up for me?!? My passenger still loves your backrest. So does everyone that sees it. But when we need the top case, she wishes we still had the dusak pad mounted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 Old 05-15-2018, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
I got the Illium adjustable passenger floorboards and they were worth every penny. My wife, having short legs, was not comfortable with the original equipment passenger pegs. She is now comfortable and feels more secure having her feet solidly planted on the floorboards. I recommend the Illium floorboards.
Thanks for the recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUSAK View Post
Moving her forward will help. Someone on this forum makes a pad that attaches to the trunk positioning the passenger more like the GT. The GTL is 1” further back than the GT making the reach to the pegs longer. Give a cheap piece of foam from the local fabric store a try.... I think you will be surprised. Good luck Dan
Thanks Dan. Please contact me so I can purchase your GTL backrest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglax13 View Post
Update on the repurposed Suburban Machinery lowering it...
Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenV View Post
Built my own from oak. Six coats of spar varnish. Been on there for almost six years and 80k miles.
That is some serious uplift :-) Is it sturdy enough for the passenger to use to mount the bike?

— Never cross a "bridge", without checkin' out the view! - me

— Life is too short to drive an ugly car. -me
post #15 of 25 Old 05-15-2018, 06:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immtbiker View Post
That is some serious uplift :-) Is it sturdy enough for the passenger to use to mount the bike?
Yes. Hundreds of times, so far.

-Stephen! (The rider formerly known as smv)
--
There is NO need to tailgate me when I am doing 50 in a 35 zone... and those flashing lights on top of your car look ridiculous.
post #16 of 25 Old 05-15-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob B. Generic View Post
Dan, not trying to be lazy. I might have read the post you are referring to or may have missed it. Can you post a link?

I have been looking for something to fill the spot below the existing pad on the GTL. The GTLE has a pad already there. Was thinking I could get a something a little professional and stick it on. Wasn’t sure what to use that would do the trick.

How about I have you mod one up for me?!? My passenger still loves your backrest. So does everyone that sees it. But when we need the top case, she wishes we still had the dusak pad mounted.
https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-...trunk-pad.html

I think this is it....I think? Glad you guys like the backrest.
post #17 of 25 Old 05-15-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation.

Thanks Dan. Please contact me so I can purchase your GTL backrest. PM sent regarding backrest order info. Thanks Dan

Thanks for the info

PM sent regarding passenger backrest order. Dan
post #18 of 25 Old 05-17-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
My wife is 5' and has problems sitting on our 1600GTL without holding on, when I remove the top case.

The problem is that the side cases get in the way (because of her short inseam), of her getting a good seating position sitting straight up. With the top case it isn't a problem, because when I accelerate, she has something to stop her from rolling back. She never had this problem on my ZX-14, because the foot pegs are higher and her legs are at a 60° angle to the pegs, rather than a 90° one.

Are there any kits available to heighten the passenger pegs?

I believe these are Suburban Machinery risers I have here on my 2014. I’ve had them on for a couple of years. My wife had the same problem and they really helped her out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #19 of 25 Old 05-18-2018, 11:17 AM

Garage
post #20 of 25 Old 05-18-2018, 03:41 PM

My wife is the same height. I just took the peg and mounted it on top of the bracket instead of in the middle. Then put a spacer in middle and bolted it all together. Cost was about $1.50.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180518_084831_1526672499843.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	118466  

2012 GTL w/Aerowings, Wilbers, Bar Risors, Nautilas Air Horn, Exhaust mod. Rear Bag LEDs, Sport tail bag, Painted Side bags, Corbin Seat, Billet smart azz license frame, Sargents Side covers, Alpine Speakers... And "The Todd Mod" gas cap!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page