Isotta Rack in Aluminum - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 05-24-2018, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I like to carry a waterproof stuff sack rolled up and packed away when I take the week long trips with the girlfriend. We always end up acquiring some things along the way. Sometimes, we ship those things home, but other time,I stuff the dirty clothes in the stuff sack and we strap it onto the rack on the tourpak. Now that I've moved over to the BMW from the Harley, I was missing out on the top rack and I wasn't a fan of the round tube style ones that you had to drill into the top case. I think this struck a great balance between looks and ease of installation.
Geoff_3 likes this.

Live to ride. Ride for a living.
Work - 2018 H-D NYPD FLHP
Personal - 2013 BMW K1600GTL
Track - 2005 Suzuki SV650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 06-06-2018, 01:44 AM

Garage
I just bought one of these racks yesterday, they give you a 5% discount ($7.00) for being a MOA member. You have to send him a copy of your MOA card and he provides you with a code that you put in at PAYPAL checkout. I probably won't use the rack much because I pull a trailer on all my long trips. But it will come in handy for trips when we don't pull the trailer, or maybe a place to put dirty laundry ?. Mine was $140 plus shipping of $18 minus $7 MOA discount or $151 out the door. The Aluminum ones are cheaper than the Acrylic by $20-$30. Hopefully it will be strong enough, although I don't think I will be putting much weight on it anyway. My GTL is Black storm so the Black Rack might blend in a little better than the Acrylic Racks. There is no turning back now, as I have more money in this Bike than my house cost. Although I did buy the house 45 years ago when a new BMW motorcycle cost $1,600 instead of $25,000 (plus farkels of course).
SSTwin and Geoff_3 like this.

Riding it like I stole it

Last edited by jimbenge1; 06-06-2018 at 01:54 AM.
post #13 of 18 Old 06-06-2018, 06:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mglax13 View Post
Hey everyone,

I decided to buy an Isotta rack for my top case and I checked out eBay to see what the prices there were like and I came across a seller with Isotta racks in aluminum instead of plastic. Unfortunately, it's only the top case rack, they don't have them in aluminum for the paniers and it's also only in flat back and only for the GTL. Anyways, it's identical to the plastic rack otherwise. Install was easy as we all know. Eventually, when I paint the brak light trim in flat back, it will look better.

Could you let me know what make is the small tank bag you have fitted.
Cheers.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaim: "Wow, what a ride".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 Old 06-06-2018, 10:40 PM

Garage
So now that I have bought one of these racks, I guess I will have to figure out what kind of bag to use with it ? What is everybody using ? I guess I should have thought of that before I bought the rack ? impulse buying ? No kidding what kinda of bag would you use ? Thanks in advance....

Riding it like I stole it
post #15 of 18 Old 06-13-2018, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
Could you let me know what make is the small tank bag you have fitted.
Cheers.
That's a Cortech 8L tank bag. According to posts that I read on here, it's one of the few that works with the GTL bars. Unfortunately, it's no longer produced, so I had to buy this one second hand from another member on these forums. From what I understand, you can use the Cortech 12L bag that is available now, as long as you slide it all the way down to the seat.

See below:

https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/2297962-post12.html
Geoff_3 likes this.

Live to ride. Ride for a living.
Work - 2018 H-D NYPD FLHP
Personal - 2013 BMW K1600GTL
Track - 2005 Suzuki SV650
post #16 of 18 Old 06-18-2018, 08:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
That's a Cortech 8L tank bag. According to posts that I read on here, it's one of the few that works with the GTL bars. Unfortunately, it's no longer produced, so I had to buy this one second hand from another member on these forums. From what I understand, you can use the Cortech 12L bag that is available now, as long as you slide it all the way down to the seat.

See below:

https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/2297962-post12.html

Thanks for the update
Geoff_3 likes this.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaim: "Wow, what a ride".
post #17 of 18 Old 11-08-2019, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Hey everyone,

I decided to buy an Isotta rack for my top case and I checked out eBay to see what the prices there were like and I came across a seller with Isotta racks in aluminum instead of plastic. Unfortunately, it's only the top case rack, they don't have them in aluminum for the paniers and it's also only in flat back and only for the GTL. Anyways, it's identical to the plastic rack otherwise. Install was easy as we all know. Eventually, when I paint the brak light trim in flat back, it will look better.
The panier racks are now available in aluminum, also.
Geoff_3 likes this.

Bernie

Former: 1981 Suzuki GS450, 1991 HD FXSTC, 1995 HD FLHTCU 30th Anniversary
post #18 of 18 Old 11-13-2019, 10:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to Geoff_3
Quote:
$149.99 plus $13.99 shipping. They also have a website, I have to look for it.

I bought it when eBay was running some sale where everything was like 15% off so I got it for $141 shipped.

Also, I know it says it's for the GT and shows a picture of a GT top case, but the Isotta part numbers that have an "11" in it are for the GTL, ie "PP11AL". I contacted the seller and he confirmed this.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F272946426103
I think it looks great and as you say they say it is for a GT but really the top boxes or should that be top case is the same for the GT/GTL and RT bikes in any case. Just comes back to the size you have as in a 49 ltr or smaller .I had a chrome one on my Indian Road Masters top case that came standard and never thought I would ever use it ,but have to say it came in handy a few times. Espesially when going on camping trips and taking a tent and heap of other luggage. I hope you get as much use out of it as I did on the one that was on the Road Master.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0606.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	516.5 KB
ID:	133952  

2019 BMW k1600GTL: 2019 BMW R1250RT: 2018 Indian Road Master: 2017 BMW K1600GTL: 2016 BMW R1200RT:
2013 Victory Cross Roads Classic.

Last edited by Geoff_3; 11-13-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page