BMW K1600 Forum banner

Isotta Rack in Aluminum

13K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  mglax13 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I decided to buy an Isotta rack for my top case and I checked out eBay to see what the prices there were like and I came across a seller with Isotta racks in aluminum instead of plastic. Unfortunately, it's only the top case rack, they don't have them in aluminum for the paniers and it's also only in flat back and only for the GTL. Anyways, it's identical to the plastic rack otherwise. Install was easy as we all know. Eventually, when I paint the brak light trim in flat back, it will look better.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
$149.99 plus $13.99 shipping. They also have a website, I have to look for it.

I bought it when eBay was running some sale where everything was like 15% off so I got it for $141 shipped.

Also, I know it says it's for the GT and shows a picture of a GT top case, but the Isotta part numbers that have an "11" in it are for the GTL, ie "PP11AL". I contacted the seller and he confirmed this.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/272946426103

Reactions: Geoff_3
#18 · (Edited)
I think it looks great and as you say they say it is for a GT but really the top boxes or should that be top case is the same for the GT/GTL and RT bikes in any case. Just comes back to the size you have as in a 49 ltr or smaller .I had a chrome one on my Indian Road Masters top case that came standard and never thought I would ever use it ,but have to say it came in handy a few times. Espesially when going on camping trips and taking a tent and heap of other luggage. I hope you get as much use out of it as I did on the one that was on the Road Master.

Attachments

#9 ·
I carry a set of small ROK straps and will strap an extra coat or something light that I might pick up on a trip. I've also strapped my Kermit chair on it as it's too long to go in any of the hard bags. Most of the time nothing is on the rack.

As far as the weight limit that would be dictated by the limit for the trunk itself.

#11 ·
I like to carry a waterproof stuff sack rolled up and packed away when I take the week long trips with the girlfriend. We always end up acquiring some things along the way. Sometimes, we ship those things home, but other time,I stuff the dirty clothes in the stuff sack and we strap it onto the rack on the tourpak. Now that I've moved over to the BMW from the Harley, I was missing out on the top rack and I wasn't a fan of the round tube style ones that you had to drill into the top case. I think this struck a great balance between looks and ease of installation.

#12 · (Edited)
I just bought one of these racks yesterday, they give you a 5% discount ($7.00) for being a MOA member. You have to send him a copy of your MOA card and he provides you with a code that you put in at PAYPAL checkout. I probably won't use the rack much because I pull a trailer on all my long trips. But it will come in handy for trips when we don't pull the trailer, or maybe a place to put dirty laundry ?. Mine was $140 plus shipping of $18 minus $7 MOA discount or $151 out the door. The Aluminum ones are cheaper than the Acrylic by $20-$30. Hopefully it will be strong enough, although I don't think I will be putting much weight on it anyway. My GTL is Black storm so the Black Rack might blend in a little better than the Acrylic Racks. There is no turning back now, as I have more money in this Bike than my house cost. Although I did buy the house 45 years ago when a new BMW motorcycle cost $1,600 instead of $25,000 (plus farkels of course).

#13 ·
Could you let me know what make is the small tank bag you have fitted.
Cheers.

#15 ·
That's a Cortech 8L tank bag. According to posts that I read on here, it's one of the few that works with the GTL bars. Unfortunately, it's no longer produced, so I had to buy this one second hand from another member on these forums. From what I understand, you can use the Cortech 12L bag that is available now, as long as you slide it all the way down to the seat.

See below:

https://www.k1600forum.com//forum/2297962-post12.html

#14 ·
So now that I have bought one of these racks, I guess I will have to figure out what kind of bag to use with it ? What is everybody using ? I guess I should have thought of that before I bought the rack ? impulse buying ? No kidding what kinda of bag would you use ? Thanks in advance....

#17 ·
Hey everyone,

I decided to buy an Isotta rack for my top case and I checked out eBay to see what the prices there were like and I came across a seller with Isotta racks in aluminum instead of plastic. Unfortunately, it's only the top case rack, they don't have them in aluminum for the paniers and it's also only in flat back and only for the GTL. Anyways, it's identical to the plastic rack otherwise. Install was easy as we all know. Eventually, when I paint the brak light trim in flat back, it will look better.
The panier racks are now available in aluminum, also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.