Touring screen GT option with "V" cutout in center? - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By J-Luv
  • 1 Post By dobervol
  • 1 Post By WayneDW
  • 1 Post By Route66in18
  • 2 Post By afhorsley

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-14-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Question Touring screen GT option with "V" cutout in center?

I LOVE the stock GT screen, but will want something a bit wider for cool-weather riding only. I like the way the stock has a "V" cutout at the center top, which allows a better view over the screen, but still shoots the air off to either side. I find absolutely nothing in the aftermarket which looks similar, however.

If there are no other options with a cutout in the center, I'll likely go with the VStream or Wunderlich Touring Vented, but since BMW obviously thought it was a good design to have the cutout in the center, and I sure as heck agree, I was a bit shocked to not be able to find anything similarly designed for touring.

I'm sure my two other options will be OK, either way, as this screen won't be used nearly as much as the stocker, but I just want to be sure I'm not missing anything. Thanks in advance, folks.

Joey

2019 K1600GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic, Brown Seat, Forged Wheels
2006 K1200S
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-14-2019, 01:07 PM

Garage
I find the stock screen allows significant air onto the shoulders. Not terrible in the heat, and likely why you're looking for something for cooler weather. But I do like the V. I'm currently running an Aeroflow hybrid medium size I believe. It has the slight flip lip at the top. I can easily see over it while still directing air over my helmet at speed. It is a little wider/fuller. The issue with both is trying to keep the air quiet for my wife while not getting too much back pressure for me. The new RDL has her sitting even higher, which increases the challenge. I'm not sure what I want to try next. Likely, a CalSci as i'm told the fabricator is a 30 minute ride from home. The video of the differences between the polycarbonate and lexan/other has me reconsidering everything based on the video someone posted elsewhere.
dobervol likes this.

James

18 K16GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with Saddle Brown Seat
IBA # 63673
73? CB125S Torquoise (sold); 76 CR125 Elsinore Red (sold);
83 CB1100F Red White & Black (in a shed); 83 CB1100F Blue White & Red (in a garage);
14 FJR-ES Candy Red (sold)
post #3 of 8 Old 05-14-2019, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Luv View Post
I find the stock screen allows significant air onto the shoulders. Not terrible in the heat, and likely why you're looking for something for cooler weather. But I do like the V. I'm currently running an Aeroflow hybrid medium size I believe. It has the slight flip lip at the top. I can easily see over it while still directing air over my helmet at speed. It is a little wider/fuller. The issue with both is trying to keep the air quiet for my wife while not getting too much back pressure for me. The new RDL has her sitting even higher, which increases the challenge. I'm not sure what I want to try next. Likely, a CalSci as i'm told the fabricator is a 30 minute ride from home. The video of the differences between the polycarbonate and lexan/other has me reconsidering everything based on the video someone posted elsewhere.
Maybe the Aeroflow would work, but I've tried other bikes with the "lip" at the top, and have never liked them. They've always made things worse for me, turbulence-wise, but perhaps the Aero would be different. I'm lucky in that I don't have a pillion to worry about, and can get what works for me. I do know that finding a happy medium for both driver and pillion can be very difficult.
J-Luv likes this.

Joey

2006 K1200S
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-14-2019, 09:10 PM

Garage
Here's one on ebay. Know nothing about it other than it has the cut out you like.:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-K1600GT...0AAMXQvV9SLySu
dobervol likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-14-2019, 09:27 PM

I just open both of the a/c vents...

2014 BMW K1600GTLE EXCLUSIVE
2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL -SOLD-
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
Smokin'
post #6 of 8 Old 05-15-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobervol View Post
I LOVE the stock GT screen, but will want something a bit wider for cool-weather riding only. I like the way the stock has a "V" cutout at the center top, which allows a better view over the screen, but still shoots the air off to either side. I find absolutely nothing in the aftermarket which looks similar, however.

If there are no other options with a cutout in the center, I'll likely go with the VStream or Wunderlich Touring Vented, but since BMW obviously thought it was a good design to have the cutout in the center, and I sure as heck agree, I was a bit shocked to not be able to find anything similarly designed for touring.

I'm sure my two other options will be OK, either way, as this screen won't be used nearly as much as the stocker, but I just want to be sure I'm not missing anything. Thanks in advance, folks.
I bought the tallest Vstream I could get. Blocks the wind great, but I couldn't see over it even in the lowest position because it seems to sit more vertical than the stock screen. I ran into problems not being able to see when I drove in the rain so I cut a 2 inch strip out of the center about 8 inches long and radiused the cuts. It now gives me a window where I can see the whole highway and still have the protection. To me it looks better than a V in the middle and gives a wider field of vision.
dobervol likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-15-2019, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route66in18 View Post
I bought the tallest Vstream I could get. Blocks the wind great, but I couldn't see over it even in the lowest position because it seems to sit more vertical than the stock screen. I ran into problems not being able to see when I drove in the rain so I cut a 2 inch strip out of the center about 8 inches long and radiused the cuts. It now gives me a window where I can see the whole highway and still have the protection. To me it looks better than a V in the middle and gives a wider field of vision.
Being able to cut and shape your own polycarbonate is a real advantage. I don't necessarily have to have a strict "V"; I'm sure a semi-circular concave cut would do just as well for me. Like you state, my issue is wanting the wind blocked off my body in the cooler weather, but still not having to look through the screen. Looking through a faceshield, and then a windscreen on top of it, just annoys the daylights out of me.

Joey

2006 K1200S
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
post #8 of 8 Old 05-16-2019, 02:00 AM

Garage
Hi Guys,

Two days ago I fitted a CalSci XXL Wide onto my GTL. Yesterday I rode from Graz, Austria to Peenemunde on the Baltic Coast of Germany 1,200kms. It took me 13hrs (would have been much quicker without mile after mile of roadworks spoiling the fun) with brief stops. The weather was bloody awful, some snow in the mountains, drizzle, rain and strong winds. Temps ranged from 2oC to 6oC. In comparison with my stock screen the CalSci was amazing. Almost no buffeting and no Back Pressure whatsoever. I am amazed. The hole cut in the CalSci did not let in the rain, again I'm amazed. Now I'm 6'5" and have been further elevated by my RDL, what a piece of kit that is. 13hrs in the saddle and nothing but comfort. Anyway even at speeds in excess of 165Kph, legal on the German Autobahns, I was comfortable. No vision blurring buffeting a la BMW OEM. Sat there playing my tunes, which I can now hear clearly, cruise control set to 160, watching the fuel gauge go down at an alarming rate. Even though my trip was almost all AutoBahn I had tremendous fun, somewhat in awe of the K1600 engine, which with my new CalSci Screen, RDL and Dunlop RS lll's can now be enjoyed to the full. My GTL is now complete.....🤣😁
J-Luv and dobervol like this.

2018 BMW K1600GTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page