When does the RDL become a "day Long" seat? - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 06-16-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
When does the RDL become a "day Long" seat?

I've got about 2000 miles on my seat now. I broke up the trip to the rally into two days, the first was about 6 hours, but I had several stops along the way. The second was 3 hours. No issues either day. Today, I did the 600 miles back in one day. Took my 10.5 hours due to traffic. I spent a lot of the last 3 hours standing or sitting on the back seat. Does it improve, or is it more of a factor of building up a tolerance?

Matt Clark
Bunnlevel, NC
'67 Triumph Bonneville, '72 BMW R75/5, '04 Triumph Bonneville, '05 Triumph Thruxton, '12 BMW K1600GTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 06-16-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyMutt View Post
I've got about 2000 miles on my seat now. I broke up the trip to the rally into two days, the first was about 6 hours, but I had several stops along the way. The second was 3 hours. No issues either day. Today, I did the 600 miles back in one day. Took my 10.5 hours due to traffic. I spent a lot of the last 3 hours standing or sitting on the back seat. Does it improve, or is it more of a factor of building up a tolerance?
The reality of motorcycle riding is that 10 hours of riding is a lot, and there is going to be some fatigue and discomfort. Only you can answer the question of what you need in a seat. If it's not working for you, send it back with instructions on what it would take to make it a "day long" seat for YOU.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
03Camjob likes this.

2015 K1600GTL
2017 Triumph Bonneville T120
post #3 of 25 Old 06-16-2019, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I just don't want to be pre-mature on it. All of my riding experience has been on flat seats, like the Bonneville and R75/5. Outside of a normal car, the worst thing I've sat on for long periods of time is a Humvee seat, but I was wearing an extra 30bs or so. I had to get a lawn chair cushion sent to me. If the seat is still breaking in, then I want it to get that way. I'll try to take it out tomorrow and see if I can figure out what the issues are. Right now, I'm thinking more outside support to reduce the central pressure.
Tinman likes this.

Matt Clark
Bunnlevel, NC
'67 Triumph Bonneville, '72 BMW R75/5, '04 Triumph Bonneville, '05 Triumph Thruxton, '12 BMW K1600GTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 06-16-2019, 09:33 PM

Yes it improves. We did a 6 week trip and the first two days made for a sore butt. by the third day it was golden. Tightening your cheeks while riding helps tremendously. make every stop count, get off, walk & stretch.
If this doesn't help a seat adjustment may be in order.

2014 BMW K1600GTLE EXCLUSIVE
2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL -SOLD-
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
Smokin'
post #5 of 25 Old 06-16-2019, 10:28 PM

What are you wearing?

Jeans or work pants are good for everyday wear, but just don't cut it for long rides. Besides having seams that you sit on which cause irritation, they can retain moisture (either sweat or rain) which is bad for your skin. And they offer no padding or abrasion resistance, so even a very low-speed slide will result in some serious damage to your legs.

Personally, I like the Aerostitch AD1 Pants, which are waterproof, breathable, comfortable, and have no seams to sit on. Under that goes LDComfort Undergarments, which are also breathable, comfortable, devoid of seams to sit on, and actively wick moisture away from your skin to avoid sweating, rashes, and irritation. I've tried many other brands of under- and over-pants in the past, and none of them have worked as well as my Aerostitch and LDComfort gear.

A good seat can really add to your long-distance comfort, but what goes between you and the seat matters just as much.
BMWGuy, nigelhobbes and ArmyMutt like this.

Ken IBA# 366
'13 K16GTL & '09 K13GT-LD
Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full.
All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 25 Old 06-16-2019, 11:00 PM

As a reference; I didn't need break-in time on my RDL. It did break-in a bit and I sit a little lower than when I first got it back earlier this year, but it was comfortable right away. The longest ride I've done so far was about a 600 mile round trip in one day, and then a 300 mile trip the following day. I felt perfect after both and could have ridden further on either day

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
TPadden likes this.

2015 K1600GTL
2017 Triumph Bonneville T120
post #7 of 25 Old 06-17-2019, 12:21 AM

I was unimpressed with my RDL, yeah better than OEM. I ride all day as in tank to tank to tank and find the Air Hawk works just as well as the RDL for me.

'08 Suzuki DR650
post #8 of 25 Old 06-17-2019, 06:35 AM

Garage
Just did 650 miles this weekend, never once had any issue with my RDL. It's simply the best seat I've had. I've had stock, Corbin and this one on this same bike. No break in needed. I'm thinking you might need the seat re-worked.
TPadden likes this.

A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood. George S. Patton
2014 K16GT
2013 R1200GSA
post #9 of 25 Old 06-17-2019, 08:28 AM

Garage
I wish I had some profound words of wisdom. I could ride 500-600 miles on the stock seat without much discomfort. The longer rides became uncomfortable. I haven't done more than 1000 mile weekend yet on the new seat, yet. But it is noticeably less stressful on my fanny. Not cushy, but no hot spots. I'd have to agree with some statements above, I think mine is breaking in a little bit, but if it isn't good from the start, I would suggest talking with Russell folks and sending back in for a little rework asap. Best of luck with it.

James

18 K16GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with Saddle Brown Seat
IBA # 63673
73? CB125S Torquoise (sold); 76 CR125 Elsinore Red (sold);
83 CB1100F Red White & Black (in a shed); 83 CB1100F Blue White & Red (in a garage);
14 FJR-ES Candy Red (sold)
post #10 of 25 Old 06-17-2019, 08:52 AM

Garage
I've had an RDL seat on 3 bikes in a row since 2010 and they do need some break in. A variation in the time it takes may be dictated by the upholstery used i.e.: leather, vinyl, Sunbrella. Sitting in an office chair for 10 hours would be trying also but the thing I've come to appreciate is the fact that I can get back on the bike day after day, on a multi day trip, with no discomfort first thing in the morning. Give it a little longer then contact RDL if it's not better.

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page