BMW K1600 Forum banner

When does the RDL become a "day Long" seat?

4K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  djfalkenstein 
#1 ·
I've got about 2000 miles on my seat now. I broke up the trip to the rally into two days, the first was about 6 hours, but I had several stops along the way. The second was 3 hours. No issues either day. Today, I did the 600 miles back in one day. Took my 10.5 hours due to traffic. I spent a lot of the last 3 hours standing or sitting on the back seat. Does it improve, or is it more of a factor of building up a tolerance?

#2 ·
The reality of motorcycle riding is that 10 hours of riding is a lot, and there is going to be some fatigue and discomfort. Only you can answer the question of what you need in a seat. If it's not working for you, send it back with instructions on what it would take to make it a "day long" seat for YOU.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I just don't want to be pre-mature on it. All of my riding experience has been on flat seats, like the Bonneville and R75/5. Outside of a normal car, the worst thing I've sat on for long periods of time is a Humvee seat, but I was wearing an extra 30bs or so. I had to get a lawn chair cushion sent to me. If the seat is still breaking in, then I want it to get that way. I'll try to take it out tomorrow and see if I can figure out what the issues are. Right now, I'm thinking more outside support to reduce the central pressure.

Reactions: Tinman
#4 ·
Yes it improves. We did a 6 week trip and the first two days made for a sore butt. by the third day it was golden. Tightening your cheeks while riding helps tremendously. make every stop count, get off, walk & stretch.
If this doesn't help a seat adjustment may be in order.

#5 ·
What are you wearing? :D

Jeans or work pants are good for everyday wear, but just don't cut it for long rides. Besides having seams that you sit on which cause irritation, they can retain moisture (either sweat or rain) which is bad for your skin. And they offer no padding or abrasion resistance, so even a very low-speed slide will result in some serious damage to your legs.

Personally, I like the Aerostitch AD1 Pants, which are waterproof, breathable, comfortable, and have no seams to sit on. Under that goes LDComfort Undergarments, which are also breathable, comfortable, devoid of seams to sit on, and actively wick moisture away from your skin to avoid sweating, rashes, and irritation. I've tried many other brands of under- and over-pants in the past, and none of them have worked as well as my Aerostitch and LDComfort gear.

A good seat can really add to your long-distance comfort, but what goes between you and the seat matters just as much.

#14 ·
What are you wearing? :D
I was wearing my Klim Mojave pants with my new LDComfort shorts. No seams under the areas that are sore. I talked to Mario for quite a while at his booth and got a good demo of the cloth. I was still a bit sweaty at the contact area when I got home. Temps were about 93.

I'm with T Padden on this one. For the most part the RDL should be good to go from the start. A call to the RDL folks describing your specific discomfort with the seat would be a good start.
It was great meeting and talking with you and your wife at the rally!
Thanks Steve. Good to meet you as well. I'll give RDL a call. Maybe I need more support on the outside so that less weight is centralized. I feel the same pressure points sitting in my chair as I type. I just went and sat on the bike again. There doesn't seem to be the same pressure points, so maybe my butt just isn't used to sitting for long periods of time. I have a few opportunities coming up that will let me do a long ride without inconveniencing family, so I'll give it another shot before calling. It's $100 for me to send it in from here, and I don't know if they pay to return it.

#6 ·
As a reference; I didn't need break-in time on my RDL. It did break-in a bit and I sit a little lower than when I first got it back earlier this year, but it was comfortable right away. The longest ride I've done so far was about a 600 mile round trip in one day, and then a 300 mile trip the following day. I felt perfect after both and could have ridden further on either day

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Just did 650 miles this weekend, never once had any issue with my RDL. It's simply the best seat I've had. I've had stock, Corbin and this one on this same bike. No break in needed. I'm thinking you might need the seat re-worked.

Reactions: TPadden
#9 ·
I wish I had some profound words of wisdom. I could ride 500-600 miles on the stock seat without much discomfort. The longer rides became uncomfortable. I haven't done more than 1000 mile weekend yet on the new seat, yet. But it is noticeably less stressful on my fanny. Not cushy, but no hot spots. I'd have to agree with some statements above, I think mine is breaking in a little bit, but if it isn't good from the start, I would suggest talking with Russell folks and sending back in for a little rework asap. Best of luck with it.

#10 ·
I've had an RDL seat on 3 bikes in a row since 2010 and they do need some break in. A variation in the time it takes may be dictated by the upholstery used i.e.: leather, vinyl, Sunbrella. Sitting in an office chair for 10 hours would be trying also but the thing I've come to appreciate is the fact that I can get back on the bike day after day, on a multi day trip, with no discomfort first thing in the morning. Give it a little longer then contact RDL if it's not better.

#12 ·
2 RDL’s no break in here, most recent on K1600B, from Tampa stock good to about Tallahassee before I needed a butt break. RDL first day good to Baton Rouge LA, only stopped because it got dark, next day Big Bend TX, and on to west coast. Stock seats have never worked for me, Sargent a bit better, RDL, Terry Adcox, and Corbin seats always immediate, significant improvement.

Tom

#13 ·
I'm with T Padden on this one. For the most part the RDL should be good to go from the start. A call to the RDL folks describing your specific discomfort with the seat would be a good start.
It was great meeting and talking with you and your wife at the rally!

#15 ·
Have a RDL on my B and really like it. That said my rear will start to get painful after about 6 hours. Not real bad but still their. Don't believe there is a seat that i can sit on for 10 hours a day and not feel it. Same with my Infiniti automobile, every seat I've ever sat on. Think some of us have more sensitive back ends?

Granted, i have not tried the fancy underwear or seamless pants.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Have a “new” RDL and just finished 4600 miles in 9 days. I found that I did get sore however climbed back on the next morning and went a full day with minimal discomfort. Getting used to the new seat took some experimenting with clothes and as mentioned earlier on the long days, one over 1,000, the clothes were a bigger factor than the seat. FWIW.

#17 ·
Depends too on how much padding you have on your body. I have boney butt but the RDL works better than any other seat. Had mine on three GTLS and it is the only seat I can ride on. Give it time for the seat and your body to adjust.

Rented a Gold Wing for a day, stock seat far better than BMW but RDL is still better.

#18 · (Edited)
Give it time for the seat and your body to adjust.
Here's where we disagree, in the many, many seats I've tried over the years they've either worked or they didn't - my seat and my body NEVER adjusted over time.

Some seats felt good at the start but at the 300 mile point (5-6 hour ride) I always knew whether or not a seat would work for me. I may have learned to live with an uncomfortable seat, shifting around and taking more breaks, adding or subtracting riding clothes, taking Ibuprofen, convincing myself money wasted was well spent, but I never achieved butt comfort through time if it didn't work at that first 300 mile ride. >:)

Tom

#21 ·
Another thing to consider is how the RDL changed your sitting position relative to the OEM seat. You're probably a little higher and further back than you were before, creating different pressure points. Maybe look bar risers/extenders to give you a more comfortable sitting angle. This may not be the problem, but look at everything before concluding it's the seat.

#22 ·
Every time I hear someone say their RDL isn't comfortable, the first question I have is if they bought it used from another rider. Each RDL is built for a specific rider, based on weight and riding position. I have had two RDLs, one on my LT that I did a 25 state tour on with no discomfort, and the current one on my GTLE which I rode to Denver from LA last year, with no discomfort. I ride long distance with an Aerostich Roadcrafter full suit, with jeans and LDC shorts underneath, as well as Motoskiveez compression socks. Last weekend, I rode approximately 800 miles and noticed a little butt soreness after about 200 miles, but that may have been attributed to absence in long term saddle time and up to 105 degree heat. Bottom line though, I wouldn't consider anything other than an RDL seat. :bmw:

#24 · (Edited)
Every time I hear someone say their RDL isn't comfortable, the first question I have is if they bought it used from another rider... Bottom line though, I wouldn't consider anything other than an RDL seat. :bmw:
Surprise, again I disagree :grin:. Two of my RDL’s were purchased used, for the B slightly used by a guy not my size who had a court ordered BMW buy back, the other a well used one for a Triumph Explorer again from a guy even further from my size, immediate 300+ mile comfort, almost immediate 11,000 mile Alaska trip. Not really buying the whole tailored to, and broken in by the specific rider’s butt marketing spiel.

Bottom line though, just because something works for me as far as comfort goes, doesn’t mean I have to convince everyone it should, and WILL work for them if they only... .

Tom

#25 · (Edited)
Fortunately, mine is; I can now push well beyond a 14 hour day without discomfort. For more than 40 years I have gotten off a long haul without my taint - leaving that miles behind. I always sat on the pan.

My RDL (with suspension) is bespoke and is awesome. Honestly. I have no back pain, nor numbness. I want to ride endlessly now. You can see my seat in my garage.

Did it need to be $1200? Probably not, but you get what you pay for. This RDL is now my benchmark for what comfort should be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.