Freight rack - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-25-2019, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Freight rack

Greetings!
I’m a musician and would love to figure out how to mount a small amp and bass guitar case on the bike. I’ve seen all kinds of things on motorcycles in Europe, but can’t find anything like a gun or freight type rack ready-made, so I figure I’ll need to build something myself.

Anyone ever done anything similar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-25-2019, 03:17 PM

Garage
I sometimes go surfing. Where there is a will there is a way. Offers some side impact protection too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Howhardcanitbe.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	131578  

2019 K1600 GT LE
post #3 of 11 Old 08-25-2019, 06:54 PM

You're joking right? The engine makes all the right sounds, why ruin it by adding a guitar?

However if you added a Moog Modular Synthesizer Model IIIp (p is for portable) with both a keyboard and ribbon controller, ancillary 905 sequencers, preset modules, patch cables and a Tektronix oscilloscope now we're talking! Just remember they like a steady and regulated power source that comes with the use of a UPS and you'll still need a sound system to play it through. Oh the Moog doesn't have Bluetooth, so it will have to be hard wired into the K's sound system if you don't use the aux input. Just don't expect the stock speakers to last very long with the sonic qualities that this instrument is capable of producing. I'd mount it to a luggage rack.

What was your question again?
Darbinco, PLAGUE and WallaBob like this.

Entropy isn't what it used to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-25-2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarkusNY View Post
The engine makes all the right sounds, why ruin it by adding a guitar?
He didn't say he was adding a guitar. He said he was adding a bass.

And everyone knows bass players aren't real guitar players...

Bob—there used to be a guy who made FlatBed Luggage Racks for the BMW LT and RT that sat over the passenger seat, but unfortunately he's out of business now.

Perhaps you could fab up something like this:

With the right mounting system, you'd be able to take it on and off easily as needed.

Ken IBA# 366
'13 K16GTL & '09 K13GT-LD
Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full.
All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; 08-25-2019 at 11:56 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-26-2019, 07:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallaBob View Post
Greetings!
I’m a musician and would love to figure out how to mount a small amp and bass guitar case on the bike. I’ve seen all kinds of things on motorcycles in Europe, but can’t find anything like a gun or freight type rack ready-made, so I figure I’ll need to build something myself.

Can't help you with something pre-fab but if it were my project I would start with the pannier. Most likely the right side. I would look for a used internal part, the part that mounts to the bike or a pull that's been in a wreck. The shiny ones cost too much

Using that pannier I would start modifications by converting it into a vertical, flat plate keeping the mounting points intact. This gets rid of most of the original bag but gets you something with known good mounting points and if you do it right, you can probably still use the quick release mechanism.

The amp can go on the back in replacement of the top case, making a rack for that would be pretty straightforward.

The other option would be a small trailer. My concern there would be how light the bass and amp would be, most trailer suspension systems are designed for a bit more weight.
PLAGUE likes this.

2012 BMW K1600GTL
post #6 of 11 Old 08-26-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese View Post
He didn't say he was adding a guitar. He said he was adding a bass.

Bobthere used to be a guy who made FlatBed Luggage Racks for the BMW LT and RT that sat over the passenger seat, but unfortunately he's out of business now.

Perhaps you could fab up something like this:

With the right mounting system, you'd be able to take it on and off easily as needed.

This goes along with your observation about bass players...

post #7 of 11 Old 08-26-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the input! I’m actually an upright player who has had to learn to play bass guitar because my left hand is wearing out on me.

I am, in fact, a one trick pony: I don’t sing, rarely do a solo, but since we are a trio, I do a fair amount of lead/melody.

I intend to fab a rack to the tail, remove the side box and fab another rack with a padded “pocket” to the exhaust hanger. I looked at lock mechanisms at fleabay, but I’m not sure it’s worth spending the money.

Another project!
post #8 of 11 Old 08-26-2019, 10:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese View Post
I have to admit, bass players probably aren't considered real guitar players and likely because they are more at home in the rhythm section. Besides, most don't have the inflated egos sufficient to play guitar.

All in good fun

Lugging bass gear around might convince a guy to play piccolo.

James

18 K16GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with matching BMW top-box, Bomber Brown RDL, Denali D7s, Ilium f&r bars with highway pegs
IBA # 63673
14 FJR-ES Candy Red (sold)
83 CB1100F Blue White & Red (in a garage);
83 CB1100F Red White & Black (in a shed);
76 CR125 Elsinore Red (sold);
73? CB125S Torquoise (sold)
post #9 of 11 Old 08-26-2019, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Luv View Post
I have to admit, bass players probably aren't considered real guitar players and likely because they are more at home in the rhythm section. Besides, most don't have the inflated egos sufficient to play guitar.

All in good fun

Lugging bass gear around might convince a guy to play piccolo.

Try lugging around a Modular Moog,
J-Luv likes this.

post #10 of 11 Old 08-28-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallaBob View Post
Greetings!

I have at least the attachment solution. I have had several people use my blocks and attachment plate to make their own freight rack. I can also make you a custom plate if you like. I have attached my Passenger backrest thread showing pictures of the plate and blocks. Post #4 shows a video of the backrest being attached. Just omit the backrest and make it your custom plate. This solution will give you a safe way to attach your stuff. Dan

https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw...ation-4-a.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page