BMW K1600 Forum banner

Nav VI - one tough unit

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  dobervol 
#1 ·
Some of you know that I frequently swap my BMW Nav VI between my various bikes including my dirt/ADV bikes. I was recently in Gunnison Colorado on a KTM 690 Enduro R doing the COBDR when my NAV VI decided to depart the cradle at about 40 mph on the main street through town. Luckily I was being followed by a Gunnison Police officer who stopped, turned on his blue lights and retrieved it for me from the road.

My heart dropped when I saw it flip off the cradle and disappear behind me. I knew it was going to be a loss and since it was the only GPS I had on the trip, our trip was going to be very different going forward. I was using it following tracks for the COBDR and it was going to be very difficult to finish the trip just using the maps the old school way (amazing how spoiled we can become by technology)

Anywho, I took it back from the officer and it looked OK so I popped it back in the cradle. It came right up and worked normally. I took a good look at it when I got to the hotel and could hardly tell it had experienced anything like bouncing down the road at 40 mph:

It looks like it might have hit on this corner:

It worked fine for the rest of the trip and consider me very impressed with how tough this little device is and how it stands up to the abuse I give it off the pavement.

See less See more
#3 ·
I would have said a road test maybe even rode

#4 ·
Now you won’t have to baby it anymore. :laugh:

#5 ·
I wasn't so lucky.

Back in the late 2000's, I got tired of cheap GPS units and bought the latest, greatest Garmin and it was wonderful. I hit the very high leading edge of a bridge on my Springer and off goes the Garmin and I almost caught it.
Went back and picked it up and found it was now about the thickness of a credit card. Don't know what ran over it, but it sure put me out several hundred dollars real quick like.
I had bought the extended warranty that covered drops, etc., but there weren't enough parts left for them to swap it out. I did get a refund on my warranty, though.
Best.

Reactions: dobervol
#6 ·
I now have a new inscription for my wife to put on my tombstone:

"If you're reading this now, you're not dead. I wasn't so lucky." :grin:

Seriously, though, my luck would've been @Harleymarlboroman Darryl's, not @Pitts'. It held up incredibly well, no doubt, but still, only 40 mph when it happens, and a cop rescues it immediately before it gets run over? Wow. Go to Vegas before that luck runs out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.