Question for Sargent seat w/backrest owners - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 10-17-2019, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
woodbutcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 129
Garage
Question for Sargent seat w/backrest owners

How the heck do you remove the backrest? I just picked up a used seat and got the instructions off the Sargent site. It tells you how to insert the post and adjust the backrest, but nothing about removing the post. Pulling up just slide the pad and adjuster off.

Rusty Myers - Austin, TX

2009 BMW R 1200 GS Adventure
2013 BWM K 1600 GT
woodbutcher is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 10-17-2019, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbutcher View Post
How the heck do you remove the backrest? I just picked up a used seat and got the instructions off the Sargent site. It tells you how to insert the post and adjust the backrest, but nothing about removing the post. Pulling up just slide the pad and adjuster off.
IIRC, reach down and feel for a flat springy piece of metal that is pressing against the seat stem/metal. Use your middle finger to spread the two pieces of metal apart and pull upward on the seat. If you have short fingers, you may want to use a flat tip screwdriver. Use a flashlight to look in the hole first to verify that I'm not giving you bad information. Good luck.
Best.

Darryl - Thanks for all you do!
RETIRED!
14BMWK1600GTL DGM
16BMWS1000XR Red
07HD FLHTCU Champion Trike
81CB750Bentforks$500
81 CB900 10speed 100HPOriginal $2.5K
81 CBX Orig 3Kmi 105HP $8K
81 CBX Frankenstein Trike $12K
1955 1st Chevy 3100 Pickup $30K
05 BMW X5
1990 Chevy 4x4
2001 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Coffintrailer $1K
Harleymarlboroman is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 10-17-2019, 09:48 PM
Senior Member
 
BMWGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Apple Valley, MN
Posts: 1,591
There are two detents on the post that need to be released before it can slide out.
Then remove the support block from the seat with the four screws.

If you're taking it off and not using it, I might be interested in it.

Good luck.

Joe

“Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'
BMWGuy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 Old 10-18-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
woodbutcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 129
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleymarlboroman View Post
IIRC, reach down and feel for a flat springy piece of metal that is pressing against the seat stem/metal. Use your middle finger to spread the two pieces of metal apart and pull upward on the seat. If you have short fingers, you may want to use a flat tip screwdriver. Use a flashlight to look in the hole first to verify that I'm not giving you bad information. Good luck.
Best.
I can't find anything that matches your description. The support bar disappears into a narrow slot in the seat and there is nothing else there. I took the seat off and flipped it over and can't see a way to release it on the support bolt that is bolted on.

Rusty Myers - Austin, TX

2009 BMW R 1200 GS Adventure
2013 BWM K 1600 GT
woodbutcher is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 10-18-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
woodbutcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 129
Garage
I'll keep you in mind. I just got the seat and figured I'd try out the back support for a bit and see if I liked it.

As far as removing it. It sounds like you are saying I need to remove the support block to get the bar released? All I want to do is pull the bar off and ride without a backrest to compare. I was hoping it was a simple process to pop the backrest off and on.

Rusty Myers - Austin, TX

2009 BMW R 1200 GS Adventure
2013 BWM K 1600 GT
woodbutcher is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 10-18-2019, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbutcher View Post
I can't find anything that matches your description. The support bar disappears into a narrow slot in the seat and there is nothing else there. I took the seat off and flipped it over and can't see a way to release it on the support bolt that is bolted on.
I'll dig mine out of the back room and remove the backrest. I'm sorry that my memory failed me. I probably was thinking about another seat that I have/had. Will post when I get a look at it later.
Best.

Darryl - Thanks for all you do!
RETIRED!
14BMWK1600GTL DGM
16BMWS1000XR Red
07HD FLHTCU Champion Trike
81CB750Bentforks$500
81 CB900 10speed 100HPOriginal $2.5K
81 CBX Orig 3Kmi 105HP $8K
81 CBX Frankenstein Trike $12K
1955 1st Chevy 3100 Pickup $30K
05 BMW X5
1990 Chevy 4x4
2001 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Coffintrailer $1K
Harleymarlboroman is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 10-18-2019, 11:32 AM
Senior Member
 
PLAGUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Michigan, New Baltimorish area
Posts: 905
Garage
Tie a rope to it and attach the other end of the rope to a tree and accelerate quickly

Please post a video so others can benefit

There is thy gold, worse poison to men's souls,
Doing more murders in this loathsome world,
Than these poor compounds that thou mayst not sell.
I sell thee poison; thou hast sold me none.
PLAGUE is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 10-18-2019, 02:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Below Lake Ontario, NY
Posts: 868
I found this on the Sargent site for instructions. See if it matches what you have.


Front/rider backrest: https://system.na3.netsuite.com/core...73fe7&_xt=.pdf.


Rear/passenger backrest: https://system.na3.netsuite.com/core...b11a9&_xt=.pdf.


If those links don't work try this one and scroll down to where it has links to the backrest instructions on the left side of the page: https://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-A...W-K1600GT-GTL/.



Hope that helps.
Ralphie is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 10-19-2019, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
woodbutcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 129
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphie View Post
I found this on the Sargent site for instructions. See if it matches what you have.


Front/rider backrest: https://system.na3.netsuite.com/core...73fe7&_xt=.pdf.


Rear/passenger backrest: https://system.na3.netsuite.com/core...b11a9&_xt=.pdf.


If those links don't work try this one and scroll down to where it has links to the backrest instructions on the left side of the page: https://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-A...W-K1600GT-GTL/.



Hope that helps.
Yep, those are the instructions I've already found. They talk about installing, but not removing the flat bar that is the support. I'd assume you just flex it slightly to free it from the detents and slide it up. But not on mine.

Rusty Myers - Austin, TX

2009 BMW R 1200 GS Adventure
2013 BWM K 1600 GT
woodbutcher is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 10-19-2019, 10:27 AM
Senior Member
 
svfiat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 163
From the instructions to install the backrest it shows detents on the upright bar which would click into the support block. So I'm guessing that if you pull straight up wiggling the bar side to side it should pull out of the support block fairly easily.
svfiat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome