BMW K1600 Forum banner

Question for Sargent seat w/backrest owners

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  woodbutcher 
#1 ·
How the heck do you remove the backrest? I just picked up a used seat and got the instructions off the Sargent site. It tells you how to insert the post and adjust the backrest, but nothing about removing the post. Pulling up just slide the pad and adjuster off.

#2 ·
IIRC, reach down and feel for a flat springy piece of metal that is pressing against the seat stem/metal. Use your middle finger to spread the two pieces of metal apart and pull upward on the seat. If you have short fingers, you may want to use a flat tip screwdriver. Use a flashlight to look in the hole first to verify that I'm not giving you bad information. Good luck.
Best.

#4 ·
I can't find anything that matches your description. The support bar disappears into a narrow slot in the seat and there is nothing else there. I took the seat off and flipped it over and can't see a way to release it on the support bolt that is bolted on.

#3 ·
There are two detents on the post that need to be released before it can slide out.
Then remove the support block from the seat with the four screws.

If you're taking it off and not using it, I might be interested in it.

Good luck.

Joe

#5 ·
I'll keep you in mind. I just got the seat and figured I'd try out the back support for a bit and see if I liked it.

As far as removing it. It sounds like you are saying I need to remove the support block to get the bar released? All I want to do is pull the bar off and ride without a backrest to compare. I was hoping it was a simple process to pop the backrest off and on.

#7 ·
Tie a rope to it and attach the other end of the rope to a tree and accelerate quickly :)

Please post a video so others can benefit :)

#8 ·
I found this on the Sargent site for instructions. See if it matches what you have.

Front/rider backrest: https://system.na3.netsuite.com/cor...4151&c=415638&h=fe8233d5aa8d7d173fe7&_xt=.pdf.

Rear/passenger backrest: https://system.na3.netsuite.com/cor...4152&c=415638&h=df08605512dc13db11a9&_xt=.pdf.

If those links don't work try this one and scroll down to where it has links to the backrest instructions on the left side of the page: https://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-Accessories/World-Sport-Performance-Seat-BMW-K1600GT-GTL/.

Hope that helps.

#9 ·
Yep, those are the instructions I've already found. They talk about installing, but not removing the flat bar that is the support. I'd assume you just flex it slightly to free it from the detents and slide it up. But not on mine.

#10 ·
From the instructions to install the backrest it shows detents on the upright bar which would click into the support block. So I'm guessing that if you pull straight up wiggling the bar side to side it should pull out of the support block fairly easily.

#11 ·
I'll bet the spring loaded detent balls and springs are corroded in place. I would squirt some WD40 into the slot and after a minute or so try removing it and if needed take a rubber mallet and gently tap upwards on the backrest itself. Once out you could reinsert and remove several times to get the detent balls and springs working properly again.

#12 ·
Thanks for all the responses and ideas. I ended up pulling the support block off the bottom of the seat and figuring out how it works. There are two bolts with embedded spring loaded ball bearing that line up with the detents. The further they are screwed in, the firmer they hold. Well, unless the are in too far, but that is another problem. Anyway, one of mine was in almost to the point of blocking the bar. So when I inserted the bar, it was a firm fit. Which made it darn near impossible to remove. The problem was that the thread were damaged by a too big screwdriver and it took some doing to finally get it to back out some. Once I did that I adjusted both pins and life is good now.

Again, thanks for the responses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.