Product Review - Aeroflow Miniwings - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 109 Old 04-04-2014, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Product Review - Aeroflow Miniwings

Disclaimer: Paige Ortiz included me in his beta testing, so I received a set for free. That said, those of you that know me know that if they didn't work I wouldn't be shy about saying so.

SUMMARY: Coupled with the Aerowings, the protection is nothing short of amazing for their small size. For the first time on a K16, I've experienced a K12LT-level still air pocket.

The pics below show a few views of the Miniwings and Aerowings installed on my K16. The Miniwings install with two pieces of 3M Dual Lock, and the instructions provide very precise location info. I was initially concerned that the two pieces would not hold the Miniwing in place without some flexing in the wind, but they have been rock-solid. A plus is they mount on the edge of the speaker covers, so they do not need to be removed to remove the housings.

Like my Aerowings (which I paid for last year ), the Miniwings are the smoked version. This hides the 3M Dual Lock well. As Paige noted, because the Dual Lock is so noticeable with the clear version, about the only reason to get the clear version is if you are planning on painting them.

From the saddle I can see the edges of the top Dual Lock, but (i) after a few minutes I didn't notice it anymore, and (ii) a couple strokes with a black Sharpie would take care of the white side strip of the Dual Lock (in the pics below, the flash makes the black part of the Dual Lock look white).

Discussion of performance follows the pics:

Performance:

Nothing short of amazing when used with the lower Aerowings. I would NOT advise running the Miniwings without the Aerowings, *except* in the summer -- without the Aerowings, the Miniwings seem to "focus" the air flow coming around/under the side of the fairing and duct the air *directly* into the rib cage below the arms. Great for directed cooling, but not on cool days!

Where the Aerowings essentially remove air flow along the bottom of the grip and the bottom of the forearm, the Miniwings are equally effective in removing air flow from the top of the fingers/hand/forearm.

Together, the two pieces provide a well-defined still-air zone that on my bike has the "flowing" air right at the ends of the weights at the ends of the grips (note: I have Helibars, so the grips are ~3/4" back from the stock grips). At higher speeds I could feel the occasional "wisp" of air at the outside/back of my shoulders, but essentially all the stock fairing flow/buffeting is gone.

I have not had a passenger on board yet to evaluate pillion protection, but I'm hard pressed to believe it would be any worse than the stock fairing. I hope to do this test this weekend.

FWIW, different windshields did not make much difference as to the effectiveness of the Miniwings -- Aeroflow, CeeBailey, stock (haven't tried my VStream, but that windshield is no better than stock, so I wouldn't expect any revelations with it).

I was surprised to find that when the windshield is raised, there was not much increase in flow through the gap between the top of Miniwing and the rising lower outer edge of the windshield. In that regard, the Aeroflow GTL windshield more thoroughly "draps" over the top of the Miniwings, delaying the point at which the "gap" opens -- but even then there still isn't much flow through the gap, and no notable decrease in the still air pocket. The only time the pocket gets any smaller is when (hypothetically) speeds get up in the 75-80 range -- and even then the flow region only walked up the grip from the end weight an inch or so.

Obviously, I am impressed and more than a little surprised at the effectiveness of these relatively small additions -- Paige absolutely nailed it with these. I no longer pine for my LT's protection

Reiterating: I do NOT recommend running the Miniwings and the Aerowings separately, unless you *want* direct torso-aimed air streams. Other than that caveat, I wholeheartedly recommend the Miniwing/Aerowing combination. :gm

EDIT: link to the product page: http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/K1600...L_Products.htm

Mark

Last edited by mneblett; 04-04-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 109 Old 04-04-2014, 11:00 AM

I've had Aero wings for 6 month's and agree with Mark's assessment. Its like riding an "RT". I love 'em.

$.02
Paul

2012 K1600 GTL
and a bunch of old BMW's
IBA 236
post #3 of 109 Old 04-04-2014, 11:25 AM

Based upon this review - I just placed my order for the miniwings!

Warner
2014 BMW K1600GTL Exclusive
2009 BMW K1200LT "The Journey" (Traded In)
1996 Honda GL1500 "Red Wing" (Traded In)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 109 Old 04-04-2014, 11:54 AM

Aerowings and Mini-wings...... someday.

Sounds like an awesome farkle set.

Jerry, N of COS, 2013 GTL, Mineral Silver; “Disarm the people- that is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” ― James Madison
post #5 of 109 Old 04-04-2014, 12:08 PM

Garage
Dang you Mark Now I have to brake open the wallet again !!!!

Steve Shreeve
2012 K1600GTL
post #6 of 109 Old 04-04-2014, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn View Post
Dang you Mark Now I have to brake open the wallet again !!!!
Just doing my part to help the economy recover!
xtek95 likes this.

Mark
post #7 of 109 Old 04-04-2014, 12:12 PM

I've got the biggest Cee Bailey made and it has the vent in the middle. We ride with it all the way up. That wasn't enough of a turbulence killer for my bride so I got a set of the wings. Even before the wings I got almost no air at all. After the wings I get bupkiss. I can't imagine taking it down even more. She still gets some, but nowhere near as much as she did.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Stephen
2013 K1600GTL (Mineral Silver)
Dallas, TX
USMC Veteran
post #8 of 109 Old 04-04-2014, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgreen0313 View Post
After the wings I get bupkiss. I can't imagine taking it down even more.
The #1 most important difference the Miniwings made for me was absolutely removing the air flow across the tops of my fingers/knuckles/forearms -- big difference in comfort in colder driving as the amount of heat loss from the top of the hand was large.

The generally calmer environment in the region of the upper part of the torso is a side benefit -- not critical, but welcome nonetheless.

Mark
post #9 of 109 Old 04-04-2014, 12:54 PM
Mark,
I would be interested in hearing if you have had a rider since installing the MiniWings and if so what their thoughts are. Thanks.

Dave

Long Valley , NJ
2012 GTL
post #10 of 109 Old 04-04-2014, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavericktoo View Post
Mark,
I would be interested in hearing if you have had a rider since installing the MiniWings and if so what their thoughts are.
Not yet -- as noted, I hope to get this test in this weekend.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page