Soft bags for K1600 - Page 3 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 01-13-2020, 04:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to Geoff_3
I personally love the fact we have rear luggage bags. I prefer the standard my self. If I owned a 1600 B the bags are fixed and I would be leaving them as they are regardless as they are no wider than the handlebars, I lane split all the time and have not had an issue unless the bike won't fit through traffic by using the handlebars as a guide on the with of the bike and if it will fit between the cars etc. If I have any dought the bike won't fit safely I don't try and just wait in line. BUT having said all that you have to ride the bike and look at it every day, plus you are the only one that has to be happy with what you have done so I suggest go for what you feel is best for you, don't worry what anyone else thinks. We are all different and that makes the world go round. Good luck whatever you choose to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 01-13-2020, 05:02 AM

Here's a slight variation on this thread. The standard GTL top box is a monster and that much volume is not always needed. Anyone know of a much smaller 'hard' top box that fits the standard rack? Thanks for any info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191120_101807_1578905759725.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	607.4 KB
ID:	135474  
Geoff_3 likes this.
post #23 of 27 Old 01-13-2020, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventureboy View Post
Here's a slight variation on this thread. The standard GTL top box is a monster and that much volume is not always needed. Anyone know of a much smaller 'hard' top box that fits the standard rack? Thanks for any info.

Sure - BMW make a small 28l topcase that willl fit.
More details here:

https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw...-top-case.html
Geoff_3 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 Old 01-13-2020, 05:53 AM

Good onya mate, thanks for that 👍
Geoff_3 likes this.
post #25 of 27 Old 01-14-2020, 04:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to Geoff_3
Shad top cases are fantastic they come with a universal plate to enable you to add it onto our bikes without too much hassle. I know our local dealership sells them along with Givi but I have not had any experience with the Givi cases although they area good quality. I used the Sahe box /top case on my Victory Cross Roads and loved it. See the photo below. but don't take notice of the mounting I used a custom one , it is the one on the bottom the Shade mounting plate is the one in between the case and bottom plate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1253.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	135502   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1941.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	280.0 KB
ID:	135504  
post #26 of 27 Old 01-14-2020, 09:41 AM

The guy asks about soft bags and the best the collective wisdom can do here is act confused and tell him he's wrong?

If you're going to remove your side and top cases and go all soft, there are several options for you. There are some manufacturers like Giant Loop that make a rackless system. With those you don't have to worry about finding a pannier rack that will mount up to your K1600.

https://www.giantloopmoto.com/produc...lebag-systems/

These are very high quality bags with flexible internal storage so that you can carry your heavier stuff down lower in the sides and your lighter things up higher. In addition to the link I posted here, go search for rackless soft bags and you'll find several makers of bags that will do what you want.

I could not agree more on the idiocy of side loading panniers. I made it work for a lot of multi-week trips on my K1600GT but ended up modifying mine to have internal netting that would hold things in place when I opened them. Top loading is so much more convenient and just one of the reasons why I'm enjoying touring on my R1200GS with Touratech Zega Pro hard cases:

I use liners in my soft bags so that I don't have to remove them from the bike when I'm overnighting. I used Wolfman soft luggage but that's of no use to you on the K1600 without a rack mounting system.

Something you also might consider is leaving the top box on the bike if you have one. It's nice to have that locking storage handy at chest height for all the stuff you need frequent access to on your ride. You can still throw the rackless bags over the pillion seat.
Geoff_3 likes this.

'12 K1600GT (gone but not forgotten)
'13 S1000RR (sold it to Allstate)
'14 KLR 650 New Edition (gone and thanks for the memories)
'16 R1200GS Triple Black (for the epic adventures)
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290 R (for the inner hooligan in me)
'18 WR250R (for roaming around in the woods)

Last edited by Pitts; 01-14-2020 at 09:45 AM.
post #27 of 27 Old 01-15-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtech67 View Post
Why? Lighter weight without losing storage, different look. Removing all 3 loses 50Lb. Better clearance for legal lane filtering in California, Better mileage too I'd say.
This has a lot of merit. It's the reason I ride with stock panniers removed most of the time. OEM hard cases are just heavy, and it's not just BMW. I've had Triumph panniers and top cases that are built to survive a hurricane too. It's why I prefer aftermarket top cases. The Givi E55 (55L) has higher capacity and weighs far less than the OEM top case (49L?), and I can easily remount it on different bikes. I honestly don't think a soft bag of equal capacity is going to weight a whole lot less than the Givi top cases. Plus my paranoid schizophrenia won't let me run luggage I cannot lock. I've got smaller Givi top cases if I really want to slim down some more.

Soft panniers would be a bit tough to manage on the K16. First thing you'll need is some form of lightweight pannier rack/brace, which serves two purposes:

1. Secure the softbags so they don't move around excessively (e.g. while braking/cornering).
2. Space them away some so the bags don't constantly chafe on the plastics, which over time will scratch them up, or possibly deform/crack them.

I just ordered this Givi rack for my Street Triple R. The bike is too small to hang the Givi V35s hard bags I have, but it would be nice to add more storage than just a top case, especially when my son rides it on tour with me.

AFAIK, nobody offers something like this for the K16. That's not to say you couldn't fabricate something similar. I've done that. Best way to do it is to buy a rack system for another bike with mounting points that are very similar to my bike. I look for ones that are on closeout sale cheap, since I'm gonna hack it up and destroy any resale value. Then all I have to do is cut off the mounting braces/legs, reposition them, and reweld.
Geoff_3 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in