Color Code?? - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 04-18-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdobin View Post
So here's a dumb question -- is Sakhir Orange on a bike the same as Sakhir Orange on a car? Amazon touch-up
(Apologies for raising this thread from the dead... but I figure it's better than starting a new one)

If the mfr paint code is the same (B50 in this case), and especially if the automotive applications are roughly the same yr range, then they are likely the exact same color formula. BMW is not the only mfr to do this. Honda has color codes that have both automotive and motorcycle applications.

Anyhow, I've been toying around with the idea of painting my Givi E55 top case Sakhir Orange to match the bike, so I did some digging around. Evidently, BMW has no less than 3 orange paint code a few yrs ago: Fire, Valencia and Sakhir. I think Sakhir is the most gorgeous, especially on a car.

Having an automotive application really helps. It means I can get the base color from any of the local automotive refinish job shops, instead getting pounded in the rear end by Colorrite. I always end up getting more than I need, since the price for a quart is typically not a whole lot more than for a pint, and the paint shop usually does a better (more accurate) job of mixing the various ingredient colors that make up the paint formula. Not surprising since the larger the quantity in one batch, the less influence a bit more of less of any one ingredient color has on the final shade. I might see what other bits and pieces I can shoot with it while I'm at it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sakhir Orange (B50) applications.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	126718  
Chop96 and Derry like this.

2014 K1600GT Sport

Last edited by Volfy; 04-18-2019 at 06:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 04-19-2019, 06:25 PM

I m in the same dilemma. I did wrote to BMW and ask if B50 and NC6 were the same and they re direct me to my dealer. Once at the dealer, they told me that BMW dont authorize motorrad to sell touch up paint as the automobile dealers are the only ones to sell them.

I would think it s the same color but who am I to confirm it

It will cost me 20$ to know since I ordered a bottle of b50 at Amazon

Will see

14 K1600GT Sakhir Orange

Last edited by Derry; 04-19-2019 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Typo
post #13 of 16 Old 04-20-2019, 06:40 PM

Ok
99.9% sure sakhir orange NC6 is the same as M3,4,5 and 6 B50
Here s a shot from underneath my side panel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190420_183609.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	485.8 KB
ID:	126768  

14 K1600GT Sakhir Orange
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 Old 04-24-2019, 09:29 AM

I only see NC6 referenced in Corlorrite's own website. All other references, including BMW's own labels and docs, use B50. I highly doubt BMW would purposely confuse themselves by using the same B50 code on both automotive and motorcycle application and for them to refer to different formulas.

Just bear in mind though, that even if it is the correct formula, each batched of mixed paint will quite possibly be slightly different. Besides mixing ratio errors, the OEM paint could have faded somewhat and changed hue or saturation. This sometimes presents a problem in automotive refinishing, where a spot repair requires the painter to "blend" into existing painted panel. It's customary for the painter to bring in an existing body panel, say the fuel door, to the job shop for verification and "tinting" to match, if necessary. However, painting motorcycle panels are just about always an overall job. The parts are small enough that it's easier to repaint the whole thing. So precise color match is less of a problem.

If you are buying touch up paint for small rock chips, it won't matter.

2014 K1600GT Sport
post #15 of 16 Old 05-05-2019, 02:16 PM

Garage
Thank you for this thread.

There is thy gold, worse poison to men's souls,
Doing more murders in this loathsome world,
Than these poor compounds that thou mayst not sell.
I sell thee poison; thou hast sold me none.
post #16 of 16 Old 08-12-2019, 05:50 PM

Garage
Try Motorcycle Paint & Scooter Paint by RS Bike Paint. Honda Vespa Harley Suzuki BMW Yamaha Kawasaki

2017 GTSE Red Reverse gear, Gear Shift Assist Pro, Automatic Damping, Topbox with Brakelight
2014 GTSE White, Keyless Ride, Audio, Hill Start Control, LED Fog Lights
2012 GTSE White, improved switches
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page