How is the paint on these in general? - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 05-06-2019, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

How is the paint on these in general?

I'm looking to buy a 2015 GT Sport in Sakhir Orange. The bike is 5 hours away so I can't just pop over to view it in person. The seller mentioned to me that all the paint on the bike feels like it's "gritty", his words not mine. He has lots of other bikes and said they all feel smooth on painted surfaces, but this bike not so much. It's only got 4000 miles, no history of accidents, dealer that serviced it says it's good to go. I've not been able to find anything like this online (complaints of paint issues) so I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-06-2019, 08:12 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to bagman
I have a 15 GTS in Sakhir orange and the paint is stellar. The grit I would assume without seeing it may just be "fallout" on the surface, and may just need to have the paint clay barred and polished out.
Maybe worse case wet sanded and polished. Use it as a bargaining chip in the negotiation. Like I said that is an assumption but every BMW paint I have seen is darn near perfect to begin with.
kotr likes this.

Steve
post #3 of 22 Old 05-06-2019, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagman View Post
I have a 15 GTS in Sakhir orange and the paint is stellar. The grit I would assume without seeing it may just be "fallout" on the surface, and may just need to have the paint clay barred and polished out.
Maybe worse case wet sanded and polished. Use it as a bargaining chip in the negotiation. Like I said that is an assumption but every BMW paint I have seen is darn near perfect to begin with.
Thanks for the reply. I've had many BMWs and every one had near perfect paint (nothing is perfect I suppose) so I'm leaning your way...intention is to get it home, evaluate and correct whatever needs to be done.
kotr likes this.

Last edited by av8r; 05-06-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 05-06-2019, 08:39 AM

Garage
I wonder if it's got sap or pollen on it? It's hard to see and when that stuff dries it can give a gritty feel to the paint.

If indeed the paint was bad on this bike, it would be the first I've ever heard of on this forum or seen anywhere else.

I bet it just needs a good washing with hot soapy water.
kotr and Jonnybow like this.

Freedom is the miles I'm rollin' on!

I'm ridin' a 2014 K1600 GTL and I am loving every minute of it!
post #5 of 22 Old 05-06-2019, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbinco View Post
I wonder if it's got sap or pollen on it? It's hard to see and when that stuff dries it can give a gritty feel to the paint.

If indeed the paint was bad on this bike, it would be the first I've ever heard of on this forum or seen anywhere else.

I bet it just needs a good washing with hot soapy water.
That's the hope. I'll find out Wednesday if all goes to plan.
Jonnybow likes this.
post #6 of 22 Old 05-06-2019, 08:54 AM

I agree with sap of some sort maple trees leave small sap drops if left long enough may feel gritty.
WillH likes this.
post #7 of 22 Old 05-06-2019, 09:27 AM

Garage
Most folks who own a high quality bike keep them in a garage and I've never heard of one having bad paint. The one you are looking at has only 4K miles, I would expect nothing but perfect paint on that one as well.

A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood. George S. Patton
2014 K16GT
2013 R1200GSA
post #8 of 22 Old 05-06-2019, 10:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8r View Post
That's the hope. I'll find out Wednesday if all goes to plan.
My wife likes to park under some pine trees at work. I can't blame her, in the summer it gets hot with a black interior. I would park it in the shade as well.

Those pines put off sap that lays on the vehicle like a mist and it dries in the heat very fast. It's easy to get off, just a good washing is all it takes.

Generally speaking the paint on these bikes is exceptional. The clear coat is hard and doesn't scratch easy, I couldn't tell you how many times I've run my boot heel across the top of the pannier and the marks polish off easily. I would be shocked if there was an issue with the paint.
kotr likes this.

Freedom is the miles I'm rollin' on!

I'm ridin' a 2014 K1600 GTL and I am loving every minute of it!
post #9 of 22 Old 05-06-2019, 10:47 AM

K16 paint is good, but I wouldn't go much further than that. The DOI doesn't rank with the top echelon I've seen on motorcycles. As much as I rag on Harleys, they do know how to shoot paint. Even my VFR1200F has better DOI.

The most common cause for "grittiness" on painted surfaces is paint overspray from being nearby somebody spraying paint. One time the company I worked for at the time asked all the employees to move all their cars away from the building, because they had scheduled for the exterior to be refinished. Well, a few folks didn't move enough and were rewarded with a uniform coating of grittiness all over their prized chariots.

2014 K1600GT Sport
post #10 of 22 Old 05-06-2019, 10:57 AM

How not to wash your bike, however you'll get the idiot off the bike this way.

Entropy isn't what it used to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page