Hi Viz attire or not a chance - Page 8 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 84 Old 07-29-2019, 02:31 PM

The Austin Lounge Lizards have a lot of great songs poking fun at a number of things. One of their best is "Big Tex's Girl" with the lyric: "All her friends were nonconformists, so she became a nonconformist too."
dobervol likes this.

'18 GTL ebony metallic
added: Altrider engine bars, Ilium rear bars, Clearwater Darla and Billie brake lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 84 Old 07-29-2019, 03:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcharlie View Post
The Austin Lounge Lizards have a lot of great songs poking fun at a number of things. One of their best is "Big Tex's Girl" with the lyric: "All her friends were nonconformists, so she became a nonconformist too."
Gotta check that band out. I loves me some lyrical smartarsery.

Joey

2019 K1600GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic, Brown Seat, Forged Wheels
2006 K1200S
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
post #73 of 84 Old 07-29-2019, 03:37 PM

Hi-Viz is the loud pipes version of clothing.
earthling and dobervol like this.

Loud pipes save egos.
2014 K1600GT Sport
IBA 17739
Also own: 5 K75s, a K100, a K1 & 2 K1100s, WR250R

Last edited by Quack; 07-29-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 84 Old 07-29-2019, 05:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
Excellent! I'll have to remember that.

If you want to be a real smart-aleck, such as if you're called an insulting name by a member of the conformist cabal, you can tell them, "Well, ya know, wearing hi-viz is the clothing version of your loud pipes...except, you know, I'm not being a rude, inconsiderate @$$hole to everyone around me. Oh, and I'm secure enough in my masculinity to not need to wear black leather. But, ya know, othewise, we're a lot alike."

Joey

2019 K1600GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic, Brown Seat, Forged Wheels
2006 K1200S
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
post #75 of 84 Old 07-29-2019, 06:57 PM

I’ve been riding motorcycles for almost 50 years, and I subscribe to these personal rules:
# 1 - Wear protective gear on every ride.
# 2 - Try to be as visible as reasonably possible to the Cage Pin Heads, ie; bright clothing, lighting, horn, hand waving, etc.
#3 - Don’t assume that you ARE visible, always ride Defensively.

I wear a Hi-Viz vented Jacket on hot summer days, and a Non-Viz Aerostich Roadcrafter on cooler days. I haven’t noticed a difference wearing Hi-Viz -vs- my Roadcrafter cause people in general drive distracted and oblivious to most anything around them, hence Rule #3.

Just this morning on my way into work, I had to stop unexpectedly when I noticed a car going too fast to be able to stop at the end of a side street that I was approaching on my right. I laid on the horn and braked to a stop about 5 feet in front of his left fender, after he stopped as well.
His car stopped about a third of the way into my lane, well past the Stop Line. As I rode around past him, he blew his horn at me as if I was at fault. He was probably pissed that I prevented him from running the Stop Sign, something he probably does every morning in that neighborhood.
Fortunately I was just increasing speed in 2nd gear after completing a 90 degree right turn further back down the street. As I got closer, I had an unobstructed view of the approaching side street and saw a fast moving car that didn’t look like he was going to stop.
If I hadn’t stopped short, I would have T-boned him, or he would have T-boned me.

Did he finally stop because of my Hi-Viz jacket, my horn, or my headlight & fog lights, who knows, and it doesn’t matter because I reacted before he did to protect myself.
Awareness of surroundings and riding defensively is most important to Rider survival in my opinion, and it’s never 100% effective. Risk is part of the Sport. Ride Smart, Ride Safe.
Kevin
DanDiver, Tur and racer1735 like this.

Kevin
Massachusetts
post #76 of 84 Old 07-29-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
I seem to be in the minority, but I think, just as effective......

2012 Grey K1600GTL
Tampa, Florida
post #77 of 84 Old 10-18-2019, 10:11 PM

For those looking for hi viz vests that don't fade or get dirty or degrade, check out Conspicuity brand vests, especially the black with yellow hi viz stripes that go over the shoulder. My buddy's 20 year old vest looks like my other buddy's identical 2-year old vest (which I saw when he first got it).

My Macna Vision vest (attached to my black Macna jacket) is also quite visible from the back and sides because of the large swath of yellow across the top of my shoulders.

The pic shows 2 versions of Conspicuity vests. Mine is the yellow on yellow which was off their closeout construction line and my friend's black on yellow is the motorcycle-specific vest with zipper closure in front. His vest is about 20-years old.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0914.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	133448  

Shaolin Master Sergeant
2013 K1600 GTL Dark Graphite Metallic
post #78 of 84 Old 10-19-2019, 05:20 PM

Garage
Like a lot of you guys, I’ve been riding for 30+ years. I first started (as an adult) with Harleys and ended up getting leather jackets, chaps, the whole nine yards. I totally would have felt right at home at a Village Peoples concert. As a side note, I recently moved and found those 30 year old chaps in a box. I just had to try them on - they barely fit around the waste, but everything else was just right.

I’ve had (and still have) a lot of gear over the years - leather, mesh, lightweight stuff with armor, and more. I’m currently riding with a nice First Gear 37.5 jacket and some older HT Air pants. The jacket is the hi-viz version and I like it. I’ve got new pants on the way, basically a summer version of the Firstgear mesh pants. I recently bought a Kilm one-piece (Hildanger) and had to return it due to sizing issues. I’ve got the right size on the way and am optimistic that it will work nicely for long distances, all-day riding. I bought the black Klim as their online system wouldn’t accept an order for the grey or tan. Maybe I could’a called them and ordered grey. In any event, black is on the way and they don’t offer hi-viz in the Hardanger.

I’ve always had dark bikes, cars, etc., but for the K1600 I decided upon white. My primary reason is that I’m now living in the south and wanted to try a lighter color due to heat retention. And, with the new bike, new suit, I’ve given a lot of thought to gear. Had a nice five year old Neotec, well decided to get the Neotec 2. Definitely like it. Then I though about some new boots. So, all in all, the guys at Revzilla must be loving me.

I’ve given thought over the last few weeks on the Helite Turtle 2. So, yeah, pulled the trigger on one of those in hi-viz. Why? I’m super confident in my riding skills and experience, yet it’s the accident you plan for. Have had one or two close calls over the years, but (knock on wood) no accidents. I’m not 20 any longer, not Superman, so figured the Helite would be cheap insurance.
Flewnvy and racer1735 like this.
post #79 of 84 Old 10-19-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrew View Post
Like a lot of you guys, Iíve been riding for 30+ years. I first started (as an adult) with Harleys and ended up getting leather jackets, chaps, the whole nine yards. I totally would have felt right at home at a Village Peoples concert. As a side note, I recently moved and found those 30 year old chaps in a box. I just had to try them on - they barely fit around the waste, but everything else was just right.

Iíve had (and still have) a lot of gear over the years - leather, mesh, lightweight stuff with armor, and more. Iím currently riding with a nice First Gear 37.5 jacket and some older HT Air pants. The jacket is the hi-viz version and I like it. Iíve got new pants on the way, basically a summer version of the Firstgear mesh pants. I recently bought a Kilm one-piece (Hildanger) and had to return it due to sizing issues. Iíve got the right size on the way and am optimistic that it will work nicely for long distances, all-day riding. I bought the black Klim as their online system wouldnít accept an order for the grey or tan. Maybe I couldía called them and ordered grey. In any event, black is on the way and they donít offer hi-viz in the Hardanger.

Iíve always had dark bikes, cars, etc., but for the K1600 I decided upon white. My primary reason is that Iím now living in the south and wanted to try a lighter color due to heat retention. And, with the new bike, new suit, Iíve given a lot of thought to gear. Had a nice five year old Neotec, well decided to get the Neotec 2. Definitely like it. Then I though about some new boots. So, all in all, the guys at Revzilla must be loving me.

Iíve given thought over the last few weeks on the Helite Turtle 2. So, yeah, pulled the trigger on one of those in hi-viz. Why? Iím super confident in my riding skills and experience, yet itís the accident you plan for. Have had one or two close calls over the years, but (knock on wood) no accidents. Iím not 20 any longer, not Superman, so figured the Helite would be cheap insurance.
All points well taken. I guess on the question of Hi-Viz, I can only ask wouldn't it be easier to see a deer on the roadside if he was wearing a Hi-Viz vest? Heck, the only time I see deer after twilight is when I spot their reflecting eyes. And, then again, why do the troops wear camo? No, I'll wear something that makes me stand out from the background as opposed to blending in. Call me a nerd but I wear a white helmet and a hi-viz vest every time I mount up.
danbrew, LindsayGT and racer1735 like this.
post #80 of 84 Old 10-21-2019, 09:16 PM

It's all fashion.

Go into your local BMW Triumph Ducati Buell Etc Dealer, and look at the different clothing targeting each brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page