Navigator 5/6 benchmark........ - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 09-10-2017, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Navigator 5/6 benchmark........

I have a NAV 5 and a NAV6 for reasons not further to be explained in this very forum.........
Anyway, I had the impression that the NAV 6 is by no means faster than its predecessor and that the only difference is the better screen. So here are the parameters

Both units
  • connected to external power
  • firmware latest level
  • latest maps
  • settings identical (avoid dirt road and interstates)
  • NAV 5 about 1.5 GB internal memory and NAV 5 more than 5 GB available, so enough in both cases
  • Routing point to point from Melle Germany to Plauen Germany (about 420 km)

Results
NAV 5 _____________________________2 min 16 s
NAV 6 _____________________________2 min 24 s

So suspicion is confirmed, NAV 6 in this single benchmark is 5 % SLOWER.

Another test to evaluate the impact of Garmin Smartlink with traffic and weather enabled

NAV 5 ___________________________ 2 min 48 s, 23 % performance drop
NAV 6 ___________________________ 2 min 58 s, 23 % performance drop

Both NAV calculated the same travel time and distance, so no differences in routing strategy that are visible to the user.

Conclusion:
If you are OK with the visibility of your NAV 5 screen and you don' t need the only truly new feature 'round trip', stay with your NAV 5, the NAV 6 is way too expensive in relation to what it offers over the NAV 5. Lotsa hype, no gain.

Smartlink is not only a cell battery hog, but reduces dramatically the performance of both NAVs. Use it wisely..............

Please have mercy with BMW/Garmin, they only want your money, nothing more.

Since I ran out of bike improvement projects, I thought I mess a little bit with stuff that I have and I hope a few might find this interesting.

YRMV and JMHO
@GTLen : This report only represents my views and the aforementioned performance measurement were not taken in a controlled environment and will likely not pass a peer review. I do not intend to challenge BMWs/Garmins claim of a significant performance improvement or accuse them of false claims.

2018 BMW K1600 GT
2018 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)

2014 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)
2005-2014 5 HD ElectraGlides (sold)
2003 HD Softail (sold)
1973-1982 various jalopies (gone)

'You know that the world is going to hll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
After Douglas Adams RIP

Last edited by ViennaK; 09-10-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-10-2017, 01:13 PM

Cannot confirm the above. I had both the Nav V and VI until recently (sold the V two weeks ago). I used the VI on my GTL, my daughter used the V on her Kawasaki until she got the new Tomtom that she prefers.
On our trip through the alps, we both used the exact same route, downloaded from the same computer. While my VI was ready to navigate, hers was still calculating - especially if the route had more than just a few waypoints.
Agreed, the speed difference is seconds, not minutes, so not worth to switch if you're overall happy with the V screen and performance. For me, the much better screen was the main reason to upgrade.

Current: 2014 BMW K1600 GTL Exclusive 2012 Silver BMW C650 GT
History: HD Ultra Classic CVO, HD Heritage Softail, Honda 1100 ACE, Honda Spacy 125, Suzuki XT 125, Puch Maxi
Our most frequent mistake is to believe that others think the same as we do.
post #3 of 19 Old 09-10-2017, 01:19 PM

BTW: the speed difference will be probably more influenced by the setup than by the CPU processor. In my case, I used an SD Card in the Nav V and moved the maps to the card to make more memory available for routing. Accessing the (slower) SD card can explain the speed difference to the Nav VI, where it's all in the (bigger) memory and therefore faster...

Current: 2014 BMW K1600 GTL Exclusive 2012 Silver BMW C650 GT
History: HD Ultra Classic CVO, HD Heritage Softail, Honda 1100 ACE, Honda Spacy 125, Suzuki XT 125, Puch Maxi
Our most frequent mistake is to believe that others think the same as we do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 09-10-2017, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Maps are both in the main memory, both have SD cards for whatever they use it for as they are practically empty. I did not use an uploaded route, I used as described a point to point route created by the Navigator. I will add to the benchmark the processing of a pre-loaded map and will report.

Thanks

2018 BMW K1600 GT

2003 HD Softail (sold)

'You know that the world is going to hll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
After Douglas Adams RIP
post #5 of 19 Old 09-10-2017, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Uploaded a map created with Tyre (Karlsbad Czech Republic - Melle Germany)
Map has only 3 true way points, but almost 200 shaping points
Disabled all custom avoidances
All other settings as in the previous test

Results
NAV 5 _____________________________26 s
NAV 6 _____________________________25 s

Difference is practically 0 in this back to back test.

On a side note: if you activate a custom avoidance to process a uploaded map, calculation time goes through the roof and reaches several minutes. Moreover, this can change your uploaded map in a big and unintended way. So tread with care when you use uploaded maps and keep custom avoidances active.

2018 BMW K1600 GT

2003 HD Softail (sold)

After Douglas Adams RIP

Last edited by ViennaK; 09-10-2017 at 02:15 PM.
post #6 of 19 Old 09-10-2017, 03:01 PM

In the real world those numbers don't mean much......at least not to me.
A few seconds either way is not a big deal at all.

The single only reason I went for the NAV 6 is the screen, nothing else.
If the screen was not significantly better (which it is) I would of never changed from the NAV 5.

The NAV 6 screen improvement is worth the cost IMHO.
Net cost for me on the upgrade to the NAV 6 was about $320.
GTLen likes this.

Brian
2014 BMW K1600 GTL Exclusive

post #7 of 19 Old 09-10-2017, 03:09 PM

Garage
might suspect that the improved screen is the reason the unit is a tad slower, ? more info to draw, in greater detail, especially when there is no real need to have games speed

R80/7RT / K75RT / R1200RT / K1600 GTL - in the U.K.
Also Rans ( Honda C90 & CD175 & CX500 & ST1100, Suzuki GT250 (J) & X7, Puch Maxi), Coveted Honda CBX, Yamaha Martini XS 1300 & FS1E, Kawasaki Z900, Z1000 & Z650, Quasar, Suzuki GT750
post #8 of 19 Old 09-10-2017, 03:28 PM

Speed is important to me, though speed of route calculation is low on the list of priorities ... where I notice a significant speed improvement of VI over V is a) keyboard response, b) db search, and c) flipping from one screen to another.
post #9 of 19 Old 09-11-2017, 01:09 AM

I went for the VI solely for the improved screen. I never had issue with the Nav V's or Nav IV's speed. For me, the Nav VI's improved screen made my purchase worth the money. An added bonus is that my VI works much better with Smartlink. I get warnings and auto rerouting that I never got on my V or IV. I can't say at one Nav is faster at anything than the othe. If there is a difference, I have not observed it; nor would i have cared about it. Yesterday, while catching up to a group that had a 525 mile head statrt on a trip from NYC to PEI and Madeleine Island, my VI pinged and announced that the road ahead was closed and it was rerouting me around the closure. It did so without any input from me. Neither of my earlier Navs would have done this. As it turned out, there was a major accident on the road; I 95 northbound, in Maine, between a pick up truck and several motorcycles that were part of a group of hundreds on a charity run. Two motorcyclists were killed and several were injured. The road was closed for hours due to the crash.
post #10 of 19 Old 09-11-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLen View Post
my VI pinged and announced that the road ahead was closed and it was rerouting me around the closure. It did so without any input from me.
My Nav V has never done this; if the VI has improved the POS link to SmartLink, then that's a major plus.

On the V, via SmartLink all it ever does is ping and warn of (for example) a "15 minute delay" on my route... Or keep repeating the same warnings "Excessive Heat" "Small Craft Warning", etc. The weather feature sucks. I was hoping that the weather map (on the V) would actually show an accurate weather-radar-like rendition, but no. I cam be IN a rainstorm, and the "weather map" shows nothing, as if it's beautiful weather.

-Brian
RIP CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga.
MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017; Nashville, 2019
'13 GTL-P Dark Graphite Metallic (3/27/13 Build Date)
IBA #31242 MOA #136148
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page