$48 for great sounding Bluetooth, volume adjustment on wheel, 1year Sirius/XM for $60 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 Old 12-27-2017, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

$48 for great sounding Bluetooth, volume adjustment on wheel, 1year Sirius/XM for $60

I have been streaming Pandora using my $50 bmwstream2air and happy with the sound using the bike’s factory Bluetooth to my Sena headset. Sirius/XM recently came out with a special that gives you a year for $60 on inactive receivers and I signed up. I forgot how bad the sound quality was using the factory Bluetooth and satellite radio and initially regretted my decision.

I decided to try using another Bluetooth transmitter to broadcast the audio in place of the factory Bluetooth as others have done. I have a Sena SM10 not being used so all I needed was a line out converter. To keep this a low budget build I used a $9.50 PAC SNI-35 Variable LOC Line Out Converter from Amazon instead of the $90 Motochello audio speaker bridge that others have used. Google or search in Amazon for a “line out converter” and you will find many cheap options. The only difference I found from the Motochello unit is that the other converters do not have the speaker off switch. For this I ran a set of wires from the bikes positive speaker connections under the seat to a DPST switch in the right side compartment with the current iPod/Aux connectors. I am able to turn the speakers on and off without removing the seat (or wherever it is mounted) as needed with the Motochello unit.

Connections from the bike’s right side Alpine/Sirius/Bluetooth unit to the PAC SNI-35 line out converter :

Bike’s Yellow/brown stripe trace to the white (left Positive)
Bike’s Yellow/red stripe to the white/black stripe (left negative)
Bike’s Blue/white stripe to the grey (right positive)
Bike’s Blue to the grey/black stripe (right negative)

Once the line out converter is connected, plug a bluetooth transmitter into the RCA outputs of the converter. To keep this a budget build for all, I purchased a TaoTronics 65ft 4.1 Bluetooth Transmitter from Amazon for $38. This transmitter will support 2 headsets but only 1 input. If a second input is needed (for a radar detector), the $135 Sena SM10 works great.
If you do not want the speakers to play while using the Bluetooth, you need to disconnect the bike’s positive speaker leads. This can either be accomplished by cutting the Yellow/brown stripe & Blue/white stripe going to the speakers at the bike’s audio unit (Alpine/Sirius/Bluetooth) connector or unplugging the wires at the speakers themselves. I chose to run a wire and switch to enable/disable the speakers easily.

For a total budget build without cutting the harness I would use the PAC SNI-35 and connect it to the speaker lines as outlined above using Posi-taps. To turn off the speakers I would disconnect the wires at the speakers. Just add the TaoTronics 65ft 4.1 Bluetooth Transmitter for $38 and you have everything working for $48!

If you don’t already have USB power for the Bluetooth transmitter any 12v to micro USB converter on Amazon will work ($5-$10).
To waterproof the converter and transmitter, use any cell phone/electronics waterproofing spray or just wrap them in plastic with a twist tie. They do not get hot and the plastic wrap is free.

Sena Headset connections:
Connected the Sena to the TaoTronics Bluetooth unit as “Media Only” (A2DP Stereo Music Only).
To use the Garmin as your phone interface, connect your cell phone to the Garmin Nav and then connect the Garmin to the Sena as “Phone selective pairing” (phone only). Unplug the center, large 2 wire connector from the bike’s audio unit. This is used to provide the spoken navigation directions to the bike’s audio. You will receive the navigation directions directly from the Garmin to the Sena from the phone connection.
Boost the bass on the bike’s audio by enabling the “loudness” on the audio menu setup for improved sound.

This setup sounds awesome!

PS
My intentions are not to bash Motochello or Sena, just offering a low budget alternative.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	935
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	103482   Click image for larger version

Name:	222.jpg
Views:	906
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	103490  
Meese, J-Luv and DMorningstar like this.

Last edited by kurt404; 12-29-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 12-27-2017, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

I did not want to cut the factory wiring harness so I created a jumper using identical connectors as the bikes. This made the components and speaker jumper easy to connect, all done off the bike.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	333.jpg
Views:	906
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	103498   Click image for larger version

Name:	444.jpg
Views:	973
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	103506  
post #3 of 59 Old 12-27-2017, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

The transmitter and line out converter.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	111bt.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	103514   Click image for larger version

Name:	222lineout.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	103522  
Meese likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 Old 12-27-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt404 View Post
I did not want to cut the factory wiring harness so I created a jumper using identical connectors as the bikes. This made the components and speaker jumper easy to connect, all done off the bike.
I like the idea of not cutting the factory wiring harness. What is the part number for the connectors you used?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 59 Old 12-27-2017, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

REPAIR PLUG, 8-POLE / 3-POLE
Part Number: 83300413580
No. 611651

and

REPAIR PLUG, 8-PIN
Part Number: 83300413581
No. 611652
Meese, Maggy and RefCat like this.
post #6 of 59 Old 12-27-2017, 06:05 PM

Garage
Thanks for all your research and for sharing the information. I think I will try it out.

I have only come here seeking knowledge
Things they would not teach me of in college...
post #7 of 59 Old 12-27-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt404 View Post
I have been streaming Pandora using my $50 bmwstream2air and happy with the sound using the bike’s factory Bluetooth to my Sena headset.
I have the Viseeo Tune2Air and been having problems with it lately. I'll check out that bmwstream2air and see how that works, at least it's $30 cheaper.

Ron - Torrance, CA
post #8 of 59 Old 12-28-2017, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

I have the Tune2Air as well and never had a problem. I installed an app on my Android phone called "Tasker". When my bike is started and the phone connects to my Garmin Nav, the Tasker app automatically starts the Garmin Smartphone Link. And when my phone connects to the Tune2Air or BMWstream2air it will start the Pandora app. Any app or connection is possible with Tasker so it can be configured to your preferences. It is a "when this happens do this" app.
post #9 of 59 Old 12-28-2017, 09:19 PM

Garage
At this point there is no way BMW is unaware of the piss poor sound quality from the sat bluetooth set up. I find it annoying at best, actually insulting that they continue shipping bikes with this useless set up. I would rather they take the BT off the bike, and leave us to our own devices with a line out from the amp and thats it. I mean it's 2018, how hard is this for the factory to remedy?
Morgan, 03Camjob and markclean like this.

Iron Butt Association Member#49820
MOA Member #106320
2013 K1600GT Dark Graphite
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite(sold)
post #10 of 59 Old 12-28-2017, 11:00 PM

It'll be interesting to see how well Honda implemented Bluetooth in their new 2018 Goldwing.

Ron - Torrance, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page