Fake tweeters on GTL... - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 56Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 69 Old 09-17-2018, 11:35 AM
Senior Member
 
ViennaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Goettingen Germany
Posts: 2,699
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
My GTL is 2013. Do you know if it had tweeters in that build year?

BTW, fun fact: I knew the girl (back in 1976 ish) who's father coined the phrase 'woofers and tweeters'.

Cheers, Derek

up to 2016 tweeters.
Derek likes this.

2018 BMW K1600 GT
2018 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)

2014 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)
2005-2014 5 HD ElectraGlides (sold)
2003 HD Softail (sold)
1973-1982 various jalopies (gone)


'You know that the world is going to h€ll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
After Douglas Adams RIP
ViennaK is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 69 Old 09-17-2018, 12:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Fogg View Post
In this day and age, why would a motorcycle have speakers? It's the silliest thing when one can obtain much better sound via phone, bluetooth helmet device or ear buds.
I beg to differ. The entire point of having on-board speakers is to be able to listen to music while driving, albeit without the music overpowering your senses and thus rendering you oblivious to dangers in traffic.

No matter how you cut it, listening to music via your BT headset or integrated BT system will mask far more sound than the speakers will and although this is arguably a good thing when on the freeway with light traffic, it's a terrible thing when driving anywhere else, akin to those idiots who ride their bikes around the city wearing closed headphones.

So no, it's not stupid.

But for BMW to cut costs and remove the tweeter on a 30K$ bike, that's stupid.
mkr1966 and rrogan like this.
dfmz is offline  
post #13 of 69 Old 09-17-2018, 12:20 PM
Senior Member
 
mlheck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 571
Garage
Removing the tweeter was part of the Audio upgrade the '18 bikes received......

The speakers sound so bad that I wouldn't notice if the tweeter was missing anyway.

Sent using Tapatalk

"I know I was born, I know that I will die, the in between is mine" Pearl Jam
mlheck is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 69 Old 09-17-2018, 12:26 PM
Senior Member
 
RefCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 1,606
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfmz View Post
I beg to differ. The entire point of having on-board speakers is to be able to listen to music while driving, albeit without the music overpowering your senses and thus rendering you oblivious to dangers in traffic.

No matter how you cut it, listening to music via your BT headset or integrated BT system will mask far more sound than the speakers will and although this is arguably a good thing when on the freeway with light traffic, it's a terrible thing when driving anywhere else, akin to those idiots who ride their bikes around the city wearing closed headphones.

So no, it's not stupid.

But for BMW to cut costs and remove the tweeter on a 30K$ bike, that's stupid.
You're mistaken about that. To hear the music at the same apparent level, you have to have it up so loud that it will mask the sounds just the same and it will sound worse (wind/road noise). To have it mask less, you have to turn the volume down but you can do that on BT too. Plus, you're bothering everyone else within 100 feet by forcing them to hear what you're listening to.
StephenV likes this.
RefCat is online now  
post #15 of 69 Old 09-17-2018, 02:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Jonnybow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Felton Delaware
Posts: 1,620
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
My GTL is 2013. Do you know if it had tweeters in that build year?

BTW, fun fact: I knew the girl (back in 1976 ish) who's father coined the phrase 'woofers and tweeters'.

Cheers, Derek
Funner fact:
I knew this girl back in the 80's who could woof like....well, you know
dhendy and Marc11 like this.

A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood. George S. Patton
2014 K16GT
Jonnybow is offline  
post #16 of 69 Old 09-17-2018, 07:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Marc11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by K16GTW View Post
Ignition needs switch for radio/sat/input not when riding but for picnic lunches speakers do not belong in helmets and never would I want a communication device don’t need any more voices in my head have plenty .
Well that settles it. We don't need this, no one does.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Marc11 is offline  
post #17 of 69 Old 09-17-2018, 07:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Chris H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfmz View Post
I beg to differ. The entire point of having on-board speakers is to be able to listen to music while driving, albeit without the music overpowering your senses and thus rendering you oblivious to dangers in traffic.

No matter how you cut it, listening to music via your BT headset or integrated BT system will mask far more sound than the speakers will and although this is arguably a good thing when on the freeway with light traffic, it's a terrible thing when driving anywhere else, akin to those idiots who ride their bikes around the city wearing closed headphones.

So no, it's not stupid.

But for BMW to cut costs and remove the tweeter on a 30K$ bike, that's stupid.
You can beg all you want but motorcycle loudspeakers have been obsolete for a while now. I guess, in your case, you can say you heard it here first. I'll sell you an 8-track tape player that I'm sure you can mount in the tweeter spaces...

Removing the tweeter was only half brilliant. To pull the rest of that crap off our wonderful bike would be fully brilliant.
Gunnert, astros50, tydog96 and 1 others like this.

Chris H (formerly known here as Charlie Fogg)

2018 K1600 GTL
2014 K1600 GTL (Gone)
2015 R1200 RT (Gone)
Chris H is offline  
post #18 of 69 Old 09-17-2018, 11:54 PM
Senior Member
 
StephenV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Minot, North Dakota
Posts: 1,682
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Fogg View Post
You can beg all you want but motorcycle loudspeakers have been obsolete for a while now. I guess, in your case, you can say you heard it here first. I'll sell you an 8-track tape player that I'm sure you can mount in the tweeter spaces...

Removing the tweeter was only half brilliant. To pull the rest of that crap off our wonderful bike would be fully brilliant.
The speaker pod makes an excellent place to hide auxiliary electrical devices. I pulled the left speaker years ago and filled that area with relays and a Fuzeblock. I retained the right speaker for those rare occasions I see the lights on the "Tune to 1610 AM for road information" roadside sign flashing...

I left behind the immature "HEY EVERYONE LOOK AT ME!!!" phase many many years ago.
Gunnert and Chris H like this.

-Stephen! (The rider formerly known as smv)
--
There is NO need to tailgate me when I am doing 50 in a 35 zone... and those flashing lights on top of your car look ridiculous.
StephenV is online now  
post #19 of 69 Old 09-18-2018, 01:17 PM
Senior Member
 
J-Luv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: KCMO
Posts: 1,293
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenV View Post
I retained the right speaker for those rare occasions I see the lights on the "Tune to 1610 AM for road information" roadside sign flashing...

I left behind the immature "HEY EVERYONE LOOK AT ME!!!" phase many many years ago.
Wait...we have an AM tuner???

But, I may not be over the HEY look at me phase...I did buy a gorgeous head-turning attention-grabbing work-of-art motorcycle. Don't know that it would have captured me emotionally if it was an average looking ho-hum non-looker.
dhendy and Chris H like this.

James

‘18 K16GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with matching BMW top-box, Bomber Brown RDL, Denali D7s, Ilium f&r bars with highway pegs
IBA # 63673
‘14 FJR-ES Candy Red (sold)
‘83 CB1100F Blue White & Red (in a garage);
‘83 CB1100F Red White & Black (in a shed);
‘76 CR125 Elsinore Red (sold);
‘73? CB125S Torquoise (sold)
J-Luv is offline  
post #20 of 69 Old 09-18-2018, 05:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Newmarket, Ontario
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlheck View Post
Removing the tweeter was part of the Audio upgrade the '18 bikes received......

The speakers sound so bad that I wouldn't notice if the tweeter was missing anyway.

Sent using Tapatalk
He said 'audio upgrade'
I needed a chuckle
J-Luv likes this.

Current bikes

2018 K1600B
2012 Suzuki M109R
BruceWayne is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome