Sena 30K vs Cardo Bold - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 12-22-2018, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sena 30K vs Cardo Bold

New Owner of GTL

I want to get a 2 headset for I mostly ride alone. Haven't had a radio since my Goldwing 20 years ago and that was hard wired with J&M.

I want it for the Nav 6 instructions, intercom last music.

On occasions I train the wife in her racing skills so I could use the headset there instead of hand signals or Pit Boards.

So what would you recommend I am wide open

Thanks in advance for your input.

Ian

Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-22-2018, 07:05 PM

This is like asking Ford or Chevy / blonde or brunette... Pros/cons for both. I use Sena 30k.

Duane
TarkusNY likes this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
post #3 of 25 Old 12-22-2018, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Duane

Can you use the intercom while listing to the Radio and or the GPS with no issues?

All I'm looking for as I don't think the K1600 has a very good factory sound system.

Ian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 12-22-2018, 11:45 PM

The place I work at sells both Cardo & Sena. Cardo's customer service (at least to us) is far better than Sena, The Cardo is waterproof while the Sena is water resistant. The voice activated features of the Packtalk Bold are great....no hunting for buttons while hurtling down the freeway at 70. Every one that works in the store has a Cardo rather that the Sena.
earthling and SteveWW like this.

2018 K1600GA
2019 HD Road Glide

2006 TW200 (the wife's)
post #5 of 25 Old 12-23-2018, 06:02 AM

@flyjets , yes to your last question. I don't connect to the bike system at all. Many tout the Cardo's voice recognition allows you to control everything. But I've yet to find any voice recognition system that clearly 'understands' my southern drawl. I use the Sena Wrist Remote mounted to the top of the clutch reservoir Sena commands; works great and controls everything. I get FM radio directly from the Sena 30K and music from iPhone; e.g. Pandora.

I ride with the Sena in ALL weather conditions and have never had an issue with water/rain.

I haven't dealt with Cardo customer service. I can say that Sena customer service has to rank at the bottom... I've had a couple of issues with Sena and resolution requires copious amounts of patience.

Duane
TarkusNY and J-Luv like this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels

Last edited by Gunnert; 12-23-2018 at 06:05 AM.
post #6 of 25 Old 12-23-2018, 12:02 PM

the cardo has a full audio infrastructure which includes a DSP. this allows voice recognition on par with a cell phone. I find it works great except for those commands which don't get properly interpreted by the source cell.

I have both the 30K and Bold. IMHO the bold is a generation ahead of the 30K.

I don't attach to the bike at all and I listen through IEMs

2018 K1600 GT
2009 Hayabusa
2007 1250 Bandit - sold
2007 1250 Bandit - totaled
SV650 - Sold Unfortunately
post #7 of 25 Old 12-23-2018, 05:02 PM

I have a Sena 20S and am happy with it except for one thing: When listening to music, when the intercom activates the music volume is significantly reduced. The amount is configurable to a degree, but it is still significant. I don't see why it has to be that way - when I'm listening to music at home or in my car, I don't have to turn the stereo down when somebody speaks.

Anyway, I don't know if the Cardo Bold or the Sena 30K being discussed here are like that, but if you listen to music and use the intercom you might want to find out.

'18 GTL ebony metallic
added: Altrider engine bars, Ilium rear bars, Clearwater Darla and Billie brake lights
post #8 of 25 Old 12-23-2018, 05:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcharlie View Post
I have a Sena 20S and am happy with it except for one thing: When listening to music, when the intercom activates the music volume is significantly reduced. The amount is configurable to a degree, but it is still significant. I don't see why it has to be that way - when I'm listening to music at home or in my car, I don't have to turn the stereo down when somebody speaks.

Anyway, I don't know if the Cardo Bold or the Sena 30K being discussed here are like that, but if you listen to music and use the intercom you might want to find out.
Funny, that is exactly the way it is supposed to work and the way most want it to work. I don't want to have to keep asking my wife what she said when she tries to talk through the music.
Gunnert likes this.
post #9 of 25 Old 12-24-2018, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Heading to Cycle Gear

Going to get a Cardo Slim or Bold want to see them in person.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Ian

post #10 of 25 Old 12-24-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyjets View Post
Heading to Cycle Gear

Going to get a Cardo Slim or Bold want to see them in person.

Thanks everyone for your help.

If they install it for you, make sure they update the software/firmware to the latest version and give you a basic tutorial on how to use it and set it up.

2018 K1600GA
2019 HD Road Glide

2006 TW200 (the wife's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page