PACKTALK Slim JBL - Pairing Issue - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By KEG
  • 1 Post By KEG
  • 1 Post By KEG

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-09-2019, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
PACKTALK Slim JBL - Pairing Issue

Let me tell you the sound quality is amazing couldn't be happier! Amazing piece of kit for sure.... Anyway just for giggles I thought I would try to pair this unit to the bike Radio and Navigator VI and I'm getting nowhere (2019 K1600GT). I can pair it to my iPhone 8 and the GPS perfectly and easily. So here is the procedure I tried to use.

Cleared the Cardo with a reset, Cleared bike and GPS of all previous connections, turned off all near-by Blue tooth devices.
  1. Pair the Cardo Packtalk to HELMET A on Cardo Channel 1. Cardo reports back successfully paired, music plays from radio thru headset.
  2. Switched the bike OFF, but keep Navigator VI powered on.
  3. Selected Bluetooth (check mark) and Discoverable (check mark)
  4. Placed Cardo into GPS pairing mode, select pin codes etc..... and Cardo reports back successfully paired.
  5. Turned on iPhone 8 and completed steps to successfully connect iPhone to GPS, Navigator app for music will play thru Cardo headset.
  6. Powered downed Navigator VI switch bike ignition back and GPS and iPhone connects to GPS, "Helmet A" NEVER connects again "B symbol on dash" light just blinks.
Is this a known bug or am I doing something wrong? I'm totally perplexed......

Thanks guys
Greg

2019 K1600GT Blue Planet / Forged Wheels
2004 ST1300abs (previous)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-09-2019, 06:41 PM
KEG

Garage
Greg,
I went through similar thing two weeks ago when was pairing my just purchased Packtalk Bold to my 2018 GTL. Had initially exactly same frustrating experience as you describe of the Packtalk losing its memory of its prior successful pairing. Found the problem by carefully re-reading the installation cheat sheet that comes with the Packtalk as well as the more detailed pdf manual version on their website. (See Page #7 of manual.) To pair a GPS device, you need to do two steps of button pushing on the Packtalk, step two is to “roll the control wheel forward “ if the second device is a GPS device (the NAV6). When I had skipped “rolling the control wheel forward “, I got exactly your behavior of losing the formerly working connections after recycling the power button. When I rolled the wheel forward, all was well.

By the way, I pulled my NAV6 out of the bike and plugged it into a built in USB wall outlet in my office and did all the pairing experiments at my desk. (Note that not all USB outlets will power up the NAV6, some wall adapter USB outlets and for sure all computer USB ports will just kick it into its mass storage mode, which I started a thread on a few weeks ago. )
Ken

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
flyjets likes this.

Ken
post #3 of 7 Old 03-11-2019, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ken,
Thank you for the reply. You absolutely nailed it. What I was doing wrong on the PACKTALK SLIM is missing one step. I was pressing the phone button for 5 seconds and then pressing the + (plus) button. What I was neglecting to do after the 5 second hold is press the phone button twice quickly which puts the unit into channel 2 then press the + button to designated GPS pairing. Once I did that everything synced up well. Again, thank you for your help, greatly appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Thanks
Greg

2019 K1600GT Blue Planet / Forged Wheels
2004 ST1300abs (previous)

Last edited by FL-GTrider; 03-11-2019 at 09:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-11-2019, 09:30 PM
KEG

Garage
Greg, you are welcome. Gives me something to do while in Thailand providing support to stepson who is in ICU unit of local hospital with severe bacterial infection in leg. Could be here for weeks. Ken

jryan19 likes this.

Ken
post #5 of 7 Old 03-12-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEG View Post
Greg, you are welcome. Gives me something to do while in Thailand providing support to stepson who is in ICU unit of local hospital with severe bacterial infection in leg. Could be here for weeks. Ken

That's rough my friend. Good luck to your stepson. He is fortunate you are able to be there to provide support.

Duke

2018 K1600B, custom made rack and shad top case
2006 Black Mustang convertible: 580HP, 576lbs of torque at the tire running 14lbs boost
post #6 of 7 Old 03-12-2019, 10:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEG View Post

Prayers for his healing and wisdom for the medical team caring for him.

James

‘18 K16GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with matching BMW top-box, Bomber Brown RDL, Denali D7s, Ilium f&r bars with highway pegs
IBA # 63673
‘14 FJR-ES Candy Red (sold)
‘83 CB1100F Blue White & Red (in a garage);
‘83 CB1100F Red White & Black (in a shed);
‘76 CR125 Elsinore Red (sold);
‘73? CB125S Torquoise (sold)
post #7 of 7 Old 03-13-2019, 12:10 AM
KEG

Garage
Thanks for your support regarding my stepson in Thailand hospital, I don’t want to hijack this thread, but his recovery speeded up dramatically after our arrival and switching him from the hospital for the “have-nots” to the “haves” hospital, about five blocks apart, but in two different worlds. This new hospital is shocking modern and well staffed, heads and shoulders above any hospital I’ve seen in the US. And at fraction of the cost of US. Stepson is uninsured (failed to buy travel insurance )but our cash cost at 100% is probably less than what the deductible/copay would be in US. This is day #14 in the hospital, today he moves out of ICU into a general room, and will go off of intravenous antibiotics in 4 days if all goes well. Do NOT ever get a bacterial infection in the tropics, it can be life threatening, destroy internal organs, is aggressive and very difficult to battle even with state of the art medical care!
Ken
J-Luv likes this.

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page