BT Audio dissapointment - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 06-02-2019, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
BT Audio dissapointment

So- before posting this, I searched, and if I understand
correctly, it's the on board BT that sucks? and you have to throw more money at a bike that's nearly $30K to get a acceptable sound??
purchased the cardo Freecom 1+ and from reading those instructions the speaker placement is crucial
so far the experience is a let down- from speaker placement to ear ratio(I may have a retarded head shape?)
and the horrible inconsistent sound quality.. FM being worse than XM, however phone calls seem to be clean and consistent.. still need to figure out how to make and hang up a call via voice
I'm a total noob at BT and a bit confused and may possibly be doing something wrong??
Should I try listening to music through my phone instead?
but what about the navigation voice over, will that still work if I stream music through my phone instead of the bikes BT?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-02-2019, 09:18 PM

Try in ear monitors. So much better.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-02-2019, 09:34 PM

I feel your pain. My solution is to go with a Motochello speaker bridge connected to Avantree Priva III bluetooth transmitter. The thumbwheel still works , get power from the glove box USB connector. Everything turns on with the bike , my helmet system is Cardo Freecom2 with 45mm JBL speakers sounds much better. I like it enough that I'm thinking of up grading to Cardo Packtalk just so I can get the sound profiles. Good luck hope this helps.
ATGATT
afhorsley likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 06-02-2019, 11:52 PM

Garage
Hi Gammer,

Like so many others I'm fed up with the oh so expensive yet utterly useless Alpine/BMW system. I simply BT my phone to my NAV Vl and my System 7 Helmet comms to the the Nav. It works but of course no Wonder Wheel control. I'm intrigued by your work around. Can you fill in the detail a little more. If you can connect all via BT and still use the Wonder Wheel for volume control I'd love to know how?

Cheers,

Tony

2018 BMW K1600GTL
post #5 of 17 Old 06-02-2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afhorsley View Post
If you can connect all via BT and still use the Wonder Wheel for volume control I'd love to know how?
afhorsley and Hanker like this.

Ron - Torrance, CA
post #6 of 17 Old 06-03-2019, 12:49 AM

Garage
Sena 10S with latest firmware, iPhone 7 connected to NAV 6. Does all I want with sufficent sound quality. Been through all of these updates and spent money and time for very little gain.

As to speaker placement yes, absolutely crucial. Find an mp3 file with white noise and play it. Move speakers until you have balanced sound and maximum volume. The closer the speakers are to your ear the better it is.
Played with in ears, never got used to the cables and the vibrations they can transfer to the ear. Now Howard Leigh foam ear plugs and audio only for inevitable intercom..............
Lenny167 likes this.

2018 BMW K1600 GT
2018 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)

2014 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)
2005-2014 5 HD ElectraGlides (sold)
2003 HD Softail (sold)
1973-1982 various jalopies (gone)

'You know that the world is going to h€ll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
After Douglas Adams RIP

Last edited by ViennaK; 06-03-2019 at 01:00 AM.
post #7 of 17 Old 06-03-2019, 12:56 AM

Garage
Thanks Rambler,

Will have a close look and see if the Senna/Motochello combo will work with my BMW System 7 Helmet and comms enabling volume control of my phone in particular. I'm hooked on Spotify for its varied music selection so its a must for me.

Then I have to see how I get an intercom to work? My wife wants phone, music and intercom also !! Guess that puts paid to a quiet ride ;-)

I have a Senna 20S from a previous helmet set up that maybe I can use for the wife on her HJC helmet without buying another System 7 for her. Quite how that all fits together with the System 7 Helmet/Comms is another question. Unfortunately, in some ways, the BMW System 7 Carbon fits my head perfectly and the sound output quality and volume is excellent so am very reluctant to change it......not to mention the costs involved.

Why o why couldn't BMW make a system that works from the get go. I love the GTL but the on board audio really sucks. Such is life.

Regards,

Tony

2018 BMW K1600GTL
post #8 of 17 Old 06-03-2019, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Will have a close look and see if the Senna/Motochello combo will work with my BMW System 7 Helmet and comms enabling volume control of my phone in particular.
Unfortunately, this setup will not give you control of your phone volume. It does enable volume control via the wonder wheel for non-BMW headsets. But you already have that ability now so it may not be worth it for you to change.
afhorsley likes this.

Ron - Torrance, CA
post #9 of 17 Old 06-03-2019, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Like so many others I'm fed up with the oh so expensive yet utterly useless Alpine/BMW system. I simply BT my phone to my NAV Vl and my System 7 Helmet comms to the the Nav. It works but of course no Wonder Wheel control.
If you have the BMW helmet and comms, you should already have wonder wheel volume control. Did you pair both BMW headsets to the bike?
afhorsley likes this.

Ron - Torrance, CA
post #10 of 17 Old 06-03-2019, 01:58 AM

Garage
Unfortunately I need a size 65 helmet. Not many manufacturers make them. I started with HJC and bought 2, one for me and one for my wife along with 1 Sena 20S. The HJC didn't work so well comfort wise so I tried everything I could find including Schubert and Shoei. None of them fitted. Finally my local BMW dealer offered a Carbon 7 size 65 with comms at a reasonable price. It fits well, the removable chin bar is a bonus and the sound quality etc is the best I've heard so far.

However, no matter what pairing combination I try I cannot get the Wonder Wheel/Samsung S8 (with Spotify)/BMW Bike BT/Nav Vl to work??

I'm reluctant to buy another System 7 + comms for my wife. She rides infrequently and thus my quest to use the Sena 20S I already have. But at the end of the day if buying a second System 7 will work then I guess thats what I'll have to do. Love this forum but it does drain the bank account

2018 BMW K1600GTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page