Problem w Nav VI and streaming music from iPhone - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-04-2019, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Problem w Nav VI and streaming music from iPhone

Just picked up the Nav VI for a 2015 K1600GT. Use BMW comm system. Paired up the helmets, GPS, phone no problem. Updated Nav to latest firmware. When I go to media player on the Nav I get a message "No A2DP headset available" even though the helmet is connected and I'm listening to music from the bikes audio system (USB stick). If I go to audio mixer phone input is greyed out. Phone is iPhone 7 and connects fine to Nav.

A little disappointing if this doesn't work since it was the main reason I got it.
TIA

White 2015 K1600 GT
Mods: Ilium Engine bars, C4 side case protectors, Adaptiv TPX radar detector/laser jammer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-04-2019, 06:18 PM

Garage
Cutterman

Do a search this question has been asked B4 and there R also Youtube videos.

Getting the sequence right is all that's needed.

Ian

Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-04-2019, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

I have spent a considerable amount of time searching and trying to troubleshoot this. I used the same pairing sequence that worked with the Nav V and all the other functions are working. I tried allowing the helmet and Nav VI off the bike to connect and still get the same message even though they show a connection.

White 2015 K1600 GT
Mods: Ilium Engine bars, C4 side case protectors, Adaptiv TPX radar detector/laser jammer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-04-2019, 07:36 PM

Is your helmet paired to the bike's radio, or directly to the GPS?

Ken IBA# 366
'13 K16GTL & '09 K13GT-LD
Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full.
All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 11 Old 06-04-2019, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Both. First it is paired to the bike's audio system, then to the GPS.

White 2015 K1600 GT
post #6 of 11 Old 06-04-2019, 09:15 PM

Sounds like the bike is using up the stereo A2DP slot, and the GPS is using a mono bluetooth profile.

Thus the GPS doesn't think there's a proper stereo headset connected, so it won't play any music.

Honestly, I've just skipped the onboard radio altogether and connect phone and GPS directly to my helmet.
Heli likes this.

Ken IBA# 366
post #7 of 11 Old 06-05-2019, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

I think you're right. If so piss poor design from BMW.

White 2015 K1600 GT
post #8 of 11 Old 06-05-2019, 10:46 AM

It's not just BMW.

It's a limitation in the Bluetooth implementation.

There are more advanced Bluetooth setups now, but when BMW was designing this stuff 10 years ago, this was it. BMW's advancement was allowing their Bluetooth to connect to two separate helmets at the same time, something that no one else was doing then.

Modern Bluetooth offers much more flexibility, but that would require BMW/Alpine to completely redesign their Bluetooth setup for a bike that's pushing 8 years old now.

We know that auto and motorcycle manufacturers are notoriously slow to implement new technologies on a mass scale.

Which is why many of us just skip the onboard Bluetooth system, and implement our own setup. That may be connecting your helmet directly to your phone, or it may be adding an aftermarket Bluetooth dongle that gets you to more current standards and upgraded features.

And enthusiast groups like this one can be invaluable in helping you work out whichever solution works best for you.

Ken IBA# 366
post #9 of 11 Old 06-05-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. You're absolutely right it's just frustrating that I have quite a financial commitment to the BMW comm system in 2 helmets and little inclination to change that just so I can listen to music from my phone and likely lose the convenience and safety of setting music choices and volume with the built in controls. The other disappointment is that after spending a lot of time researching and even talking to folks at the dealership I was not aware of this limitation. I think it's a sham to market the product with the capability of streaming music but by the way you can't use the bikes audio system. I am going to return it.

White 2015 K1600 GT
post #10 of 11 Old 06-05-2019, 02:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterman View Post
Thanks for the info. You're absolutely right it's just frustrating that I have quite a financial commitment to the BMW comm system in 2 helmets and little inclination to change that just so I can listen to music from my phone and likely lose the convenience and safety of setting music choices and volume with the built in controls. The other disappointment is that after spending a lot of time researching and even talking to folks at the dealership I was not aware of this limitation. I think it's a sham to market the product with the capability of streaming music but by the way you can't use the bikes audio system. I am going to return it.

I think the BMW comm system is compatible with a Sena Bluetooth sender/receiver like the SM10 which streams 2 A2DP channels. Before you tear into the bike it is fairly easy to test the system by pairing your helmet with the NAV for navigation, phone and alerts that are channeled through the NAV. But pair the SM10 first with the riders helmet so that helmet can take the AD2P channel first. Pair the passenger helmet with the 2nd channel of the SM10

Hook up the SM10 with an external audio source via a 3.5 mm jack and you are good to test it. If it works, you need to hook up a bridge between the speaker wires and the SM10 to connect it to bike audio. You should wire the SM10 directly to 12V with a relay using a switched plus and remove the battery in it.
Sounds more complicated than it is, but you can disable BMW bike BT altogether and use a USB stick as an audio source.

2018 BMW K1600 GT
2018 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)

2014 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)
2005-2014 5 HD ElectraGlides (sold)
2003 HD Softail (sold)
1973-1982 various jalopies (gone)

'You know that the world is going to hll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
After Douglas Adams RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page