Ear Piece Ear Plugs - Page 3 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 08-12-2019, 01:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver View Post
I know that these mask the noise, but I wonder if, even though you are not hearing the sound, if it is still penetrating your ears. Not sure if I'm asking the correct question, but it is the noise that causes fatigue and over a long period of time, tinnitus in many people.

Can the noise you are not hearing, cause damage? Is masking really blocking?

No....that isn't how noise cancelling works.

It works by actually cancelling the sound. Sound is waves of pressure pushing and pulling on your eardrum. When a noise cancelling earbud detects a push from outside, it creates a pull of equal strength. The net effect is that neither a push nor a pull makes it to your eardrum. They're not 100% effective, but the amount that is left and the amount added by the noise cancellation that is not offset is a small fraction of the original noise.
DanDiver likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 08-13-2019, 10:08 AM

Garage
I am a true believer in using ear plugs and use them each and every time I ride. Over the years I have tried almost everything from foam, to molded to electronic but find myself gravitating back to foam which I use for a few times and then discard without the inconvenience of cleaning. About 25-30 dB reduction at the low frequencies muffles most engine and some wind noises while allowing me adequate awareness of surroundings.
I ride with a modular Shoei and Sena SRL comm. inter-phased with the bike so all comm, GPS instructions, music, phone calls, etc come though the Sena.

2018 BMW K1600GTL
2017 Indian Springfield
post #23 of 27 Old 08-13-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcGrizz View Post
I am a true believer in using ear plugs and use them each and every time I ride. Over the years I have tried almost everything from foam, to molded to electronic but find myself gravitating back to foam which I use for a few times and then discard without the inconvenience of cleaning. About 25-30 dB reduction at the low frequencies muffles most engine and some wind noises while allowing me adequate awareness of surroundings.
I ride with a modular Shoei and Sena SRL comm. inter-phased with the bike so all comm, GPS instructions, music, phone calls, etc come though the Sena.
Years ago when I was using ear plugs daily, they were the simple Hearos foams. I didn't use a comm system or otherwise listen to music at the time, so foam plugs did the trick. Based on my past experience, I thought foam plugs wouldn't work well with Comm system functions. Coincidentally, I just found an old bag of Hearos that I thought were long gone. I'll try them out with my comm system (similar set up to yours) to see how they compare to the EarPeace plugs.

I took a ride yesterday without the EarPeace plugs to compare the with/without experiences while it was fresh in my mind. When I started music, the volume setting left over from the previous day EarPeace ride almost blew my ears out. It was almost maxed. I underestimated how much I had turned up the volume to compensate for all the noise (and music level) reduction. The medium level 20 EarPeace SNR filter installed out of the box is probably too much reduction for effective music and intercom system use. I'm going to try out the included lower level 17 SNR filter to see if it's a better compromise.

BTW, that modular Shoei NeoTec2 is a great helmet. Good choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 Old 08-13-2019, 10:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc250r View Post
For me, Bose QC-20 ear buds are the best thing out there. I can ride 6 hours straight at 85mph like last weekend and I was in peace & quiet the entire time. No fatigue or drone whatsoever. No popping, just bliss.
I religiously use Bose quietcontrol 30 noise canceling. Has an Bose IOS app that allows you to adjust the noise canceling. Bluetooth. And have added Bluetooth “big buttons” remote to phone to control volume, tracks, and play/ pause with gloves on easily. Great setup. I will cancel at about 3/4, full if on interstate noise and long run. Music is great when knocking out the other noise. My ears thank me.

2018 K1600B GA
post #25 of 27 Old 08-13-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc250r View Post
In town I ride with the visor up, but over 45mph I keep my visor down. After I put on a 7Jurock windshield and some masking tape over the ear bud sensor ports, it eliminated the turbulence, and as such, eliminatinated the popping. I really get next to no pops at all, even with cruise set at 85.
The masking tape is a great idea; the sensor ports - are they the small holes on the outside of the earbuds?
post #26 of 27 Old 08-15-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLDoc View Post
The masking tape is a great idea; the sensor ports - are they the small holes on the outside of the earbuds?
Yes, that's what I'm calling the sensor ports. I really have no idea what those holes are or do, but I read on another form that it helps with the popping, so I tried it. I actually found the 7Jurock windshield to be the biggest influencer at preventing the popping. And a good fitting, quality full-face/modular helmet.
post #27 of 27 Old 08-15-2019, 02:53 PM

@atc250r , pretty good bet the holes are air holes to alleviate feedback/pressure; all of the hearing aids I've ever had have air holes.

Duane

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page