Ear Piece Ear Plugs - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 08-11-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Ear Piece Ear Plugs

In all the years I've ridden, I've never listened to music through the helmet. The few times I briefly tried I found it distracting and stopped. Now that we have a really good comm system with JBL speakers, my wife wanted me to set music sharing up. Over the past few weeks I've grown to like it. At the same time I've realized I've pumped up the total noise level coming into my ears. I did some research on ear plugs and deciding to try the following product:

https://www.earpeace.com/products/mo...nt=40836254468

They pretty much work as advertised. They eliminate much of the wind and engine noise but still allow you to hear the music with very little change. I found that I only had to bump up the volume a little to hear the music like I didn't have them on.

The problem is that they almost work too well. I like hearing the K1600 motor rev up. I like the sound of moderate wind around me. To me that's part of the motorcycle experience and these plugs eliminate much of it. It's not a complaint of how they function, but I didn't realize the impact they'd have on my riding. I'm going to have to experiment with them more and figure out when and when not to wear them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-11-2019, 10:08 AM

Garage
I found a set of what is called eargasms work great and still allow enough to come through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GTLen likes this.

SIFIRID (Eric Walls)
Proud Army Combat DV

2015 BMW 1600 GT
post #3 of 27 Old 08-11-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I found a set of what is called eargasms work great and still allow enough to come through.

That wakes up the imagination.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 08-11-2019, 10:20 AM

Garage
Yeah lol. Fun while you ride!

SIFIRID (Eric Walls)
Proud Army Combat DV

2015 BMW 1600 GT
post #5 of 27 Old 08-11-2019, 11:22 AM

For me, Bose QC-20 ear buds are the best thing out there. I can ride 6 hours straight at 85mph like last weekend and I was in peace & quiet the entire time. No fatigue or drone whatsoever. No popping, just bliss.
GTLen and NLDoc like this.
post #6 of 27 Old 08-11-2019, 12:33 PM

Garage
Ear Piece Ear Plugs

Yep, tried those & several others (eargasms, vibes, decibullz, etc.). Always thought my BMW communication with a Schuberth C3Pro was ideal for the K1600 unless, I was on the highway. Over the past year all my K1600 friends were getting Sena 30Ks. They could communicate with each other while they were riding. Still was not sold since, their Sensaphonics were about $800 not to mention the $75 audiology molding fee. Then, a ridding buddy turned me on to Plug Up (https://www.plugup.com/custom_made_e...budss_s/73.htm ). Got their custom stereo ear plugs & a Sena 30K..OMG!!!!! The ear protection & sound are amazing. Now, have to be real careful not to overpress my rides. Cannot even hear my 100 dB KTM SDGT at 7K rpm. My regular riding group all have Sena 30ks. The only down side is you cannot control the volume of the sound with the BMW Wonderwheel. Volume is controled by the Sena wheel which is very easy to access/ adjust. But, everything else is seamless. Turn on your Sena 30K first and everything else connects automatically. Yes, you can block/ mute out your friends if do not wish to here there banterings. And, Plug Up sends you a kit for the custom ear peice fittings. Best,

Doc
post #7 of 27 Old 08-11-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc250r View Post
For me, Bose QC-20 ear buds are the best thing out there. I can ride 6 hours straight at 85mph like last weekend and I was in peace & quiet the entire time. No fatigue or drone whatsoever. No popping, just bliss.
Do you find that you can wear the QC-20 ear buds fit inside your helmet without discomfort after several hours? That's why I am hesitating about a purchase. It looks like they would press against the helmet padding.

'18 GTL ebony metallic
added: Altrider engine bars, Ilium rear bars, Clearwater Darla and Billie brake lights
post #8 of 27 Old 08-11-2019, 03:12 PM

While the ear plugs do take awhile to get used to, once your used to them you won't ride without them. On the longer trips they reduce the fatigue quite a bit.
The hardiest part for me was taking off without hearing the engine very well but that soon passed.

Just keep wearing them.

Rick
2012 K1600GT (smashed)
2015 K1600GT (went over a cliff)
2018 R1200GS
post #9 of 27 Old 08-11-2019, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick92040 View Post
While the ear plugs do take awhile to get used to, once your used to them you won't ride without them. On the longer trips they reduce the fatigue quite a bit.
The hardiest part for me was taking off without hearing the engine very well but that soon passed.

Just keep wearing them.
Yea, it does take some getting used to. Years ago when I was commuting 85 miles each way to work, I wore Hearos plugs every day. Definitely low tech, but my only goal was to eliminate the 6-lanes of freeway traffic noise around me. They did the trick. My riding has been more causal over the past few years, so getting back into plugs is strange. I agree there is a definite advantage to wearing them when the goal is to chew up long mile days. I'm not sure I'm ready to give up the other external sounds for shorter outings.

Last edited by JohnS1955; 08-11-2019 at 05:33 PM.
post #10 of 27 Old 08-11-2019, 05:10 PM

FWIW, I only ride solo, so I’ve never had the need to communicate with other riders/passenger. At one point, I was using the BMW com sys for music and directions. Then when I moved to an X-14, I was hesitant to install helmet speakers, as the BMW wasn’t very good sound wise, and sometimes connection wise. So, at first I used the wired Shure buds I normally travel with, directly connected to my iPhone X. But, I was worried about longevity of the setup, as it required a dongle. So, I started experimenting...and I ended up buying Sennheiser momentums, Bluetooth connected to my iPhone. At first, it was pretty hard to put on the helmet without messing up the momentums in my ears. But, after a few tries, it worked. If I want directions or music, I use the momentums.

If I just want quiet, I use Flare audio isolate pro titanium buds. They are absolutely amazing. You can still hear traffic noises, bike engine revving, etc., while blocking out wind noise. I’ve ridden with them on 5 hr round trips (with a break half way), and have had no fit, or discomfort issues.

I think I saw the Flare recommended in a post here a few years ago. So, whomever posted the recommendation, thank you!

Last edited by maybeinoregon; 08-11-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page