Yet more newbie Nav questions - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 08-29-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yet more newbie Nav questions

I spend way too much time searching here to no avail, so I'm going to rely on the good will of those here who've been there.
Will a Nav IV or V slip right into an '18 nav-ready GTL, as well as a VI? Are the maps for the older units upgradable (for free) for life?
Is there a Nav VII in the pipeline, and does anybody know what the improvements will be?
A nav system would be nice, but I don't see a thousand bucks of advantage for a VI for me at this time.
Prost!

Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-29-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualpubs View Post
I spend way too much time searching here to no avail, so I'm going to rely on the good will of those here who've been there.
Will a Nav IV or V slip right into an '18 nav-ready GTL, as well as a VI? Are the maps for the older units upgradable (for free) for life?
Is there a Nav VII in the pipeline, and does anybody know what the improvements will be?
A nav system would be nice, but I don't see a thousand bucks of advantage for a VI for me at this time.
Prost!
The 5 will as that's what I use on my 18. Works great! My 5 came with maps for life, but I don't know for sure about one you would buy if used.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-29-2019, 03:29 PM

Garage
Nav V and Nav VI use the same cradle. Nav IV does not. Major difference in Nav V and Nav VI is screen, streaming music , and way point capacity. Other Nav VI upgrades are more fuctional in operation than significant operational changes. Screen visibility on the Nav VI in direct sunlight is significantly better. If you currently own a Nav V, I would recommend just using it. I swap a Nav V from my GSA into my GTL sometimes out of convenience, and vice versa, put the GTL Nav VI into the GSA. Don't know any information regarding a Nav VII.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 08-29-2019, 03:44 PM

They will all fit the cradle. The only difference is the size of the hole. The Nav4 has a smaller screen but it isn't a big deal. They all have free updates as well. I would look for a nav6 because of the better screen. Used ones pop up occasionally or discounts on new ones. I did a quick search and found this one. https://www.ebay.com/p/Final%2DBMW%2...rt=nc&thm=1000

Rick
2012 K1600GT (smashed)
2015 K1600GT (went over a cliff)
2018 R1200GS
post #5 of 13 Old 08-29-2019, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
[email protected]
MototrashUSA
Rick92040
Thanks, guys... I have been following eBay and that current deal is decent. I have the luxury of waiting (since I don't even have the bike in my possession yet). And I'm guessing the general trend is for the prices to deflate a tad, if anything. If I see a deal too good to pass up, I'll probably jump on it. But it sounds as if a VI is the way to go for now. I fought a long time with a handlebar phone/GPS holder on my FJR, and I'm ready to put that whole chapter behind me.
I'll lurk around to find out if anybody sees a VII in the Garmin-Motorrad tea leaves...

post #6 of 13 Old 08-30-2019, 09:06 AM

IMHO, the screen visibility of the Nav VI is well worth the upgrade; However, I have had a couple of buggy Nav VI's as have others. The Nav V is rock solid dependable. The screen is decent but with the sun above or behind you, it is hard to see the details on the screen. I would not purchase a Nav IV for use in the factory cradle - the angle isn't right and the glare makes the screen very hard to see in most light.

Current Bike: '18 K1600B

Most recent former bikes:
'14 R1200RT
'13 F800GT
post #7 of 13 Old 09-03-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
OK, I think I have a lead on a almost-not-used Nav VI.
So Motorrad only makes one kit that fits all their bikes that are supposedly Nav-ready, correct?
Thanks in advance....

post #8 of 13 Old 09-03-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
So Motorrad only makes one kit that fits all their bikes that are supposedly Nav-ready, correct?

Yep. Should plug right in. However first I would plug it into the wall for 6 hours to get a good charge. Download latest Garmin express to your computer than plug the Nav unit into your computer and update it. After that plug it into your bike. It will take a looong time to update it and that is normal.

Rick
2012 K1600GT (smashed)
2015 K1600GT (went over a cliff)
2018 R1200GS
post #9 of 13 Old 09-04-2019, 12:10 AM

The BMW Navigator IV, V, and VI units will all fit in the factory GPS cradle position and allow use of the handlebar Scroll Wheel. Your '18 bike should have the dash surround for the larger Nav VI. As others have said, the Nav VI screen is far superior, especially in direct sunlight. Early Nav VI units had some reliability issues, but Garmin is quick to replace them and later units seem to work well.

I'd contact Brad at Cross Country BMW, who can give you a decent forum discount on a new Nav VI.

The Garmin zūmo 660 or 665 GPS units will also fit the factory GPS cradle, but they will not respond to the Scroll Wheel and they have older screens that can be hard to read in direct sunlight.

Ken IBA# 366
'13 K16GTL & '09 K13GT-LD
Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full.
All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 13 Old 09-04-2019, 01:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
OK, I think I have a lead on a almost-not-used Nav VI.
Thanks in advance....
Make sure that any warranty is transferable, lots of issues with the earlier NAV VI as others mentioned. As to a NAV VII if it comes it will be DOA as BMW moves towards integrated solutions like on the new GS.

2018 BMW K1600 GT
2018 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)

2014 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)
2005-2014 5 HD ElectraGlides (sold)
2003 HD Softail (sold)
1973-1982 various jalopies (gone)

'You know that the world is going to h€ll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
After Douglas Adams RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page