Ask MO Anything: Is Clutchless Shifting Bad For My Transmission? - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 12-29-2018, 07:44 PM

Garage
I've always thought the clutch was like the front wheel, necessary for starting and stopping but optional for the rest of the time
reid, J-Luv, claw and 1 others like this.

Donna
(It’s all fun until I break a nail!)
Pink and Black K1600B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 12-29-2018, 11:33 PM

Never managed to do this intentionally. I prefer to avoid shifting without the clutch, don't want to trash the clutch.

I had a few instances where for whatever reason the gears didn't engage and it either thrashed the clutch hunting around or just didn't go in gear at all. Mine has no QS.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-30-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stexecutive View Post
Recently bought k1600 GTLE, 2012, and I’m sure it has gear shift pro, but how can I be sure?

Also, the clutch bites when it is nearly fully out, with only 24k miles. Is there any adjustment on these hydrolic clutches?
There was no shift assist, Pro or otherwise, on the 2012 models. Just a standard shift transmission that loves to be used above 4,000 rpm. I did clutchless downshifts on my 2012 all the time. It's a skill though. You can't just jam it down a gear. It requires timing it properly with your speed and some blipping of the throttle to get it smoothly done.
1stexecutive likes this.

'12 K1600GT (gone but not forgotten)
'13 S1000RR (sold it to Allstate)
'14 KLR 650 New Edition (gone and thanks for the memories)
'16 R1200GS Triple Black (for all of it)
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290 R (for the inner hooligan in me)
'18 WR250R (for all of it...but slower)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 Old 01-01-2019, 05:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by billtech67 View Post
I don't know if that's true on the k1600, but would like some feedback as well.
When I took it to local bmw garage and showed “perceived clutch handle issue” to techiguy, he simply assured me it was “normal” on K1600 to engage as mine was and for production year of my bike it did not have gear shift pro...

UK biker since 1997, former RT owner (last 2 bikes) and loving the amazing K1600 GTLE, since Nov 2017.
post #15 of 17 Old 01-02-2019, 12:06 PM

Like Pitts, I've down shifted without using the clutch. There's a knack to it and a knack for up shifting without using a clutch too but with some throttle blipping/ control it can be done smoothly. Years of dirt bike riding helped with learning how to do this. Some may wonder why. I can eat my big Mac while riding? Saves having to put the phone away while texting? I don't believe it puts any kind of strain on the clutch but the gear meshing may get a little noisy if not done right By no means do I believe it's a substitute for having shift assist and I look forward to the day I get a chance to see how much fun that can be.

'12 KGT Verthrillin' Red
post #16 of 17 Old 06-04-2019, 04:15 AM

Garage
I do all my upshifts clutchless and it's fine with me. The less you use the clutch the more it'll last.

2014 K1600GTL Exclusive
post #17 of 17 Old 06-04-2019, 06:10 AM

I find Gearshift Assist Pro works really well, but clutchless shifts are fine on a bike without it as long as you don't persistently load the gear lever heavily prior to unloading the drive-train by rolling off the throttle and making the shift. If you do routinely load the gear lever heavily for long(ish) periods prior to shifting you will subject the selector forks to side-thrust which can cause them to overheat and fail.

Phil
2019 K1600 GT Sport
2015 W212 E63 AMG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page