K1600's Tame the Dragon 2016 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
View Poll Results: Are you going to Tame The Dragon with The K1600 Forum Members
Yes, I will be There!! 27 27.84%
Maybe?? Have to check with a Highe Authority. 36 37.11%
No, I can not make it. 32 32.99%
I have no idea what a "Deals Gap" is all about. 2 2.06%
I will be there if I can get a roommate. PM Me!! 0 0%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

205Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 377 Old 08-27-2015, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
K1600's Tame the Dragon 2016

K1600's Tame the Dragon- April 2016

The third week of April 2016 there is to be a gathering of K1600 Forum Members & their friends, family, etc. Plan for arrival on Friday April 15th with Departure on April 17th 2016. There will be an attempt for this group of hulligans to "Tame The Dragon" at Deals Gap. There will be group rides to cover other great roads in the area like the Cherohola Skyway ( The Cherohala Skyway, a National Scenic Byway ), The Moonshine Hwy-NC28 ( http://moonshiner28.com/# ), & other twisty roads like Warwoman Rd, Wayah Rd, NC-215, NC-281, etc. weather & traffic permiting. Location Central will be at the Two Wheel Inn (TWI) in Robbinsville, NC (828.479.4248: Two Wheel Inn 828-479-4248 | Accommodations for you and your motorcycle, Located on US129, south of Robbinsville NC near the Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway.). Riders must make there own reservations. Yes, there is camping. Find a partner & you can share a room for about $50/ night.

Other area facilities with possible open rooms include; Fontana Village Resort (828.498.2211: Fontana Village Resort :: Smokey Mountain Resort & Marina ), Phillips Motel (828479.3370: Phillips Motel Robbinsville North Carolina | 828-479-3370 ), Microtel Inn in Robbinsville (828.479.6772: http://www.microtelinn.com/hotels/no...FcaRHwodmtwCuQ ). The IronHorse Motorcycle Inn is allegedly full with a BMW LT Group.

(A request is made for anyone who can build/ make a simple web site for this event for free to contact me.)

Best,

Doc:gm:gm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 377 Old 08-27-2015, 06:52 PM

In addition to the cheaper camping I mentioned on the other thread I would also like to suggest another favorite place of mine in the area: Tapoco Lodge has new owners and is a very nice place just a couple of minutes from Deals Gap. It's a little more expensive but I love the new owners.
post #3 of 377 Old 08-27-2015, 07:58 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 377 Old 08-27-2015, 07:59 PM

I'm in with a reservation at TWI!

After the change in venue was posted earlier I sent an email to IHML asking for a private cabin room. They did not respond. I called this evening and left a message. They returned my call and told me that they do not have any availability for a private cabin room for that weekend. Apparently someone here beat me to the last room.
So....stay at TWI and commute for the ride, etc, or cancel....still deciding.

Update...9/3/2015...reservation made at IHML....see ya'll on Friday morning...4/15/2016...
pkpr1998 likes this.

Last edited by fhp6; 09-02-2015 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Change of venue.
post #5 of 377 Old 08-27-2015, 08:09 PM

I'm in with pillion and a reservation at TWI. I have not been to TOD and will enjoy meeting a bunch of you guys. My wife does not like aggressive riding / lean angles. Because of this she is missing several trips this year including Colorado on the 5th. Any tips to loosen her up for the Dragon short of xanex and valium?

Chris H (formerly known here as Charlie Fogg)

2018 K1600 GTL
2014 K1600 GTL (Gone)
2015 R1200 RT (Gone)

Last edited by Chris H; 08-27-2015 at 08:19 PM. Reason: reservation
post #6 of 377 Old 08-27-2015, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Tapoco Lodge

The Tapoco Lodge is a fantastic place. Other than the Deals Gap Resort it is the closest place to stay from the Dragon. It is also one of the most expensive facilities to stay at in the area. You definitely will make your significant other very happy. Best,

post #7 of 377 Old 08-27-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Fogg View Post
I'm in with pillion. I have not been to TOD and would enjoy meeting a bunch of you guys. My wife does not like aggressive riding / lean angles. Because of this she is missing several trips this year including Colorado on the 5th. Any tips to loosen her up for the Dragon short of xanex and valium?
See below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyculb View Post
The Tapoco Lodge is a fantastic place. Other than the Deals Gap Resort it is the closest place to stay from the Dragon. It is also one of the most expensive facilities to stay at in the area. You definitely will make your significant other very happy. Best,

Plus liberal application of local moonshine.
post #8 of 377 Old 08-27-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Fogg View Post
I'm in with pillion and a reservation at TWI. I have not been to TOD and will enjoy meeting a bunch of you guys. My wife does not like aggressive riding / lean angles. Because of this she is missing several trips this year including Colorado on the 5th. Any tips to loosen her up for the Dragon short of xanex and valium?

I try to make the ride about her. We stop when she needs to, slow down when she suggest, and I never make her feel uncomfortable or unsafe. She also allows me to ride aggressively under the right conditions without complaint. I really enjoy having her along. Make her feel like its all about her and she may reciprocate.
ZipSilver and grandpatom6 like this.

Wade
2014 GTL/E
Jacksonville, FL
IBA, MTF, MOA and few others
post #9 of 377 Old 08-27-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDChief View Post
I try to make the ride about her. We stop when she needs to, slow down when she suggest, and I never make her feel uncomfortable or unsafe. She also allows me to ride aggressively under the right conditions without complaint. I really enjoy having her along. Make her feel like its all about her and she may reciprocate.
Yes, good advise and I do all that. The purpose of many of my trips is aggressive riding so she does not come along. Other trips are for together time and we ride more conservative. Since I have not been to TOD, I'd like to have my cake and eat it too

Chris H (formerly known here as Charlie Fogg)

2018 K1600 GTL
2014 K1600 GTL (Gone)
2015 R1200 RT (Gone)
post #10 of 377 Old 08-27-2015, 09:11 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to MugsyMD
Is anyone going to be at the Iron Horse Lodge -
I am going to put those dates on calendar now
pkpr1998 likes this.

Kawasaki 1987 750R - Red/White
Kawasaki 2006 ZX14 - Red
BMW 2012 K1600GT - Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page