Joe Cool and his lady - Page 8 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 124 Old 09-09-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by since7 View Post
Curious...how many of you contracted E Coli and still don't wash your hands after wiping your butt?

All the opinions aside, about who should wear what and when, who decided what would be "full gear?" You are not fully protected, even in a car. Even in your favourite arm chair. Why does the term "full gear" ring so with all the "I am dressed this way because I am safe now" or " I am supposed to dress this way, I own a BMW" set? Why? Is it because when you spend $1500 on a jacket and pants you tend to wear them? Is that the reason?

Ask Marco Simoncelli what he thinks about "full gear" -- no wait, you can't, someone drove over his fully-geared up head and killed him.

marco simoncelli fatal crash-video - Bing Videos

This "I just bought a..." and so now I must buy a ... to go with it" is just marketing. Successful marketing, but marketing none the less.

You are not fully protected, and if you feel you are, well bully for you, at least you can focus on the ride and not about the burn of road rash. Actually, no one is thinking about the burn of road rash, because that would spoil the fun. Wear what you like. Climb down off the soap box, go for a ride.

Ken

humorous but I think you are missing the point...safety begins between the ears. Sure you could wear your birthday suit and drive defensively...or you could add a layer of protection and still drive defensively (just in case of the unknown). I don't think anyone believes an armored suit guarantees a safe ride.

'13 BMW K1600 GT Montego Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 124 Old 09-09-2015, 12:25 PM

Garage
I do not miss the point. The point is "you" don't get to define "full gear" when we "all" agree there is no such thing as "being fully protected" while riding. I prefer a term which identifies the style of dress "Gored Out" for example, or "Leathered Up" rather than "full gear" -- you are implying other riders are not so fully geared as you and that is not the case, as we all know there is no such thing as fully geared. No gear would be enough. Sorry if I was unclear.

I am operating a chain saw as I often do at this time of year, I have gloves, sneakers, ear and eye protection, and I keep my wits up, and my saws etc. in prime working order. At the first sign of fatigue, I shut down for a break, perhaps until tomorrow. I don't wear a face shield, cutting pants, slip- proof (spiked) boots, because I never bought the stuff. I don't feel less safe because of how I am dressed. I practice intelligent cutting techniques and keep others away while felling trees and splitting wood. I have been running saws and splitters and chippers and REALLY dangerous equipment since I was about 14, and the closest I have come to injury, I got my hand pinned in a wood splitter a few years ago, wife was operating the piston, she was a little ambitious on the control. No harm done, although while at the hospital for an x-ray I contracted blood poisoning and came somewhat close to losing my hand. True story.

Safety and survival have very little to do with how you are dressed. It's like that guy said, "begins between the ears" *wink*.

Ken

2015 GTL-E
The most boring motorcyclist alive.
post #73 of 124 Old 09-09-2015, 12:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
humorous but I think you are missing the point...safety begins between the ears. Sure you could wear your birthday suit and drive defensively...or you could add a layer of protection and still drive defensively (just in case of the unknown). I don't think anyone believes an armored suit guarantees a safe ride.
Exactly. I wear the gear that I do to keep my skin from being removed from my body if/when something happens and I end up sliding/tumbling down the road. During a 20mph off which resulted in me sliding on my left side for a short distance, I lost a quarter-sized bit of skin from my elbow even though I was wearing a Firstgear TPG Teton jacket - I view that a success. Armored pants scuffed, but no "damage" - same with gloves/boots. That jacket now has some nice holes worn through the left forearm/elbow area and it served it's purpose - keep my skin (mostly) attached to me. A t-shirt wouldn't have had a chance.

That just reinforced for me that I'll continue to wear protective clothing when I get on a motorcycle. It's the choice I've made and will continue to make and it's all about the risk we're each willing to accept. For me it's simple - I don't want to go through the recovery from road rash, so I dress to minimize that risk.

I'll just leave this link here:
Road Rash

Greg
2014 K1600GT Sport
2016 S1000R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 124 Old 09-09-2015, 12:39 PM

"I" have just come to a conclusion that there is now one forums and one thread "I" no longer wish to follow. The Off-topic "fight club" and now Joe Cool and his Lady which I really thought was going to be a "Lady" Chatterley story!

Although "I" do believe "I" have been convinced to wear a helmet to prevent banging my head on the wall while trying to read what "I" hoped to be a light hearted General Discussion of all things motorcycles.

"I" know "I" know, it's a free world "I" should just move on but in between all the back and forth posturing there is a good post or story every now and then.

"off my soapbox now"

Danny Muchmore
post #75 of 124 Old 09-09-2015, 01:01 PM

Since7...I hear where you are coming from...perhaps you would find another term more acceptable..."fool gear"
firstoff likes this.

'13 BMW K1600 GT Montego Blue
post #76 of 124 Old 09-09-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by since7 View Post
I do not miss the point. The point is "you" don't get to define "full gear" when we "all" agree there is no such thing as "being fully protected" while riding.
You're being pedantic. ATGATT does not mean, or even stand for "fully protected." It means ALL the gear, ALL the time. In other words, you've worn all the stuff you can possibly get (full face helmet, armored jacket, armored pants, full length motorcycle-specific gloves, and motorcycle-specific full length boots) every time you ride. That definition should not be in dispute.

I think it is pretty obvious that just about everyone foregoes some item of "ALL the gear" some of the time. That's perfectly fine. It's also perfectly fine to forego all the gear all of the time, if that's your thing. But to argue the finer point of what ATGATT is -- well, that's just silly.

As has been said by many before: we all have a risk tolerance we are willing to delude ourselves into believing is acceptable. I look at guys without at least a helmet and motorcycle-specific gloves as insane (that's my minimum, which _I_ don't even ride in, I prefer more). Others may look at me in my jeans and think "what a nutter." Still others, in their automobile, van, or truck may look at someone on a motorcycle, fully geared up or in shorts and socks and think "completely nuts for even being on that thing." Some people view riding in the rain just as dangerous as being on the road with drunks.

It's all risk tolerance. A line from one of my favorite movies sums it up: "You can get killed walking your doggy!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPBJdg743cw
bmac likes this.
post #77 of 124 Old 09-09-2015, 01:21 PM

Garage
This thread is bordering on ridiculous. We might as well be having a religious argument. Each side, or person, has his/her position on wearing gear, the reasons for it, and arguments against the other side, and is unlikely to change their position. We're all just looking for affirmation of our own opinion.

As for questioning how any of us would feel about a fallen rider, regardless of their ride, shame on you. This is a philosophical and ideological discussion. Given the very real situation of an injured fellow human, any of us would react with urgency.
Prince likes this.

John
2018 K1600 GT - Option 719 Blue Planet w/forged wheels

2014 K1600 GTL - Magnesium Beige (past)
post #78 of 124 Old 09-09-2015, 01:31 PM

Depressing. Beacuse of this thread, I now have to see my therapist more than once a day. She recommends 'unsubscribe'.
RedCard likes this.
post #79 of 124 Old 09-09-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makea16 View Post
Depressing. Beacuse of this thread, I now have to see my therapist more than once a day. She recommends 'unsubscribe'.

My therapist said that my narcissism causes me to misread social situations.

I'm pretty sure she was hitting on me ...

BionicDan
#1029 Red GT
Life's too short for traffic
post #80 of 124 Old 09-09-2015, 02:39 PM

I don't get where you are coming from. Sounds to me you might be jealous of the nice looking Harley and his sexy passenger. I ride a Harley Breakout and a GTL. GTL gets more use but I don't wear the moon gear especially when its 95 out, my choice sir. Full Helmet on BMW and half on Harley again my choice. Shorts? Yes. T-Shirt? Yes. I will put my riding level against anyone on this site. Each time I mount my bikes I am fully aware I could die or be seriously hurt. That is my choice friend and I would not be so quick to judge others. BMW riders have a bad reputation for being stuck up and you sir need to look at that. I don't remember seeing any law against not implementing astronaut gear, **** Florida does not have a helmet law. I have to admit that when I see the BMW riders coming down the road all nervous leaning forward and in that full moon gear I smile and laugh. However again each to his own. Friend Harley rides like cool Joe are tons of fun people. Oil on the road is a concern to all and your BMW is going down fast just like the Harley guy. Ride to live and live to ride!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page