K1600 Driveline Lash and Poor BMW Service - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 64 Old 10-13-2015, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

K1600 Driveline Lash and Poor BMW Service

So with 4K miles on my K1600 I figured it was time to get the driveline looked at since it was soon to go out of warranty. I have two BMW's a cheap S1000R and twice the price K1600.

BMW and their after sales service god Marty Roach has determined that it is acceptable for the S1000R bike that costs half the price of the K1600 to have a much smoother transmission. (I'm sure thats just the way the German engineers and marketing folks drew it up when designing the bike).

First they told me it was within spec and when I asked what the spec was and my measurement then I was told there was no spec. Only one out there is Marty's butt. My issue he rides the bike on flat ground in TX and I have the problem with not being able to control the lash and slop in the transmission coming off the backside of a mountain.

Well for BMW and all their side stepping and not stepping up to the plate to fix a otherwise great bike I will be switching brands to somebody that will stand behind their products.

For sale one K1600 with excessive driveline lash (compared to a S1000R, ZX1400R, and Road King Classic and guess which one costs the most) or excellent driveline in the eyes of BMW NA.

Might as well sell the S1000R so I'm not guilty by association with a company that does a run and hide.

Any recommendations for a quality replacement? FJR or Connie?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 10-13-2015, 08:11 PM

Do they have another bike to compare it to? If so did you and he ride both to compare?
Don't know we have enough here to say poor service but can't vouch for "Marty" or the dealer. Take it to another dealer to get a second opinion? Comparing it to a different style bike is pointless if transmissions are not same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 64 Old 10-13-2015, 08:41 PM

Garage
All I know is my K is the best shifting bike I have had.

I would love to try some of these really great shifting bikes.

My V65 has a heavy transmission.

Paul
1984 Honda V65 Magna
1985 BMW K100RT
2011 BMW K1600GTL - gone
2018 BMW K1600GTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 Old 10-13-2015, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillW View Post
Do they have another bike to compare it to? If so did you and he ride both to compare?
Don't know we have enough here to say poor service but can't vouch for "Marty" or the dealer. Take it to another dealer to get a second opinion? Comparing it to a different style bike is pointless if transmissions are not same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If the driveline in my $15K BMW sport bike is smoother than my $30K BMW touring bike that is an issue plus I have rode two other 1600's one the same and one better.

I have no beef with the dealer this is all BMW NA and how they hide behind the dealer. The dealer wants the transmission replaced. What sucks for BMW was I was thinking about adding another BMW to my garage as I have always wanted a boxer. Guess I will just buy an antique one and not worry about warranty and BMW NA.
post #5 of 64 Old 10-13-2015, 08:49 PM

Garage

Good Luck finding a comparable bike. My 2014 has some driveline lash that is noticeable at low rev load changes. Not nice and surely something that is a nuisance but not anywhere close to make me leave that great bike at any competitor shop.
Prince and GTer like this.

2018 BMW K1600 GT
1967 HD FL Police
2018 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)

2014 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)
2005-2014 5 HD ElectraGlides (sold)
2003 HD Softail (sold)
1973-1982 various jalopies (gone)

'You know that the world is going to hll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
After Douglas Adams RIP
post #6 of 64 Old 10-13-2015, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaK View Post

Good Luck finding a comparable bike. My 2014 has some driveline lash that is noticeable at low rev load changes. Not nice and surely something that is a nuisance but not anywhere close to make me leave that great bike at any competitor shop.
If they can put a decent transmission in a bike that costs half I'm sure they can do it in a 30K bike. This is just BMW NA stepping around an issue at the expense of a customer. Seems to be common thing with BMW NA no matter if it has 2 or 4 wheels.

Comparable to the transmission wouldn't be hard, because almost everything built in the last five decades is better. This is just Poor BMW NA service.

Hopefully the folks in Germany get treated better.
post #7 of 64 Old 10-13-2015, 09:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barron View Post
If they can put a decent transmission in a bike that costs half I'm sure they can do it in a 30K bike. This is just BMW NA stepping around an issue at the expense of a customer. Seems to be common thing with BMW NA no matter if it has 2 or 4 wheels.

Comparable to the transmission wouldn't be hard, because almost everything built in the last five decades is better. This is just Poor BMW NA service.

Hopefully the folks in Germany get treated better.
There are some complaints about driveline lash over here that I know of but I have not seen one documented case that for that very reason a final drive or a transmission was replaced under warranty or good will.
I agree that drivelines can be designed to run with little play and quiet operation. Yamaha FJR 1300 is one good example.

2018 BMW K1600 GT
1967 HD FL Police
2018 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)

2014 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)
2005-2014 5 HD ElectraGlides (sold)
2003 HD Softail (sold)
1973-1982 various jalopies (gone)

'You know that the world is going to hll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
After Douglas Adams RIP
post #8 of 64 Old 10-13-2015, 10:46 PM

You need to learn your bike better. They all have lash - it's all in the RPM's, shifting, and a well schooled wrist in combination with the clutch.

To me (no disrespect meant) it sounds like you just don't know how to ride the bike.

4,000 miles in 3 years - also supports my case. (Unless you didn't buy it new)

Good luck finding a bike that rides you. I'd rather have a bike that I ride.
ZipSilver likes this.
post #9 of 64 Old 10-13-2015, 10:49 PM

Just to spite BMW I think you should sell them both very cheap to me
netbeui likes this.

Danny Muchmore
post #10 of 64 Old 10-14-2015, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILLY View Post
You need to learn your bike better. They all have lash - it's all in the RPM's, shifting, and a well schooled wrist in combination with the clutch.

To me (no disrespect meant) it sounds like you just don't know how to ride the bike.

4,000 miles in 3 years - also supports my case. (Unless you didn't buy it new)

Good luck finding a bike that rides you. I'd rather have a bike that I ride.
On this train of thought, I have wandered before if some folks drive a K16 like a crouchrocket exerting demanding torque on the tranny and the driveline. I may get flamed here, but this bike is pretty darn heavy, it sits high; moreover, loaded with travelling crap, it may not be the optimal machine to abuse crancking twisties and the likes. You would expect that it would be because of its magnificent handling for a bike this big, but maybe its not.

I would suspect this bike is probably not for rookies either...hold the flames, not yet.

I drive my bike like a touring bike and its nothing but smooth and trouble free. I have driven in 90mph range in the hellish desert weather for hours. I drove it cross country without a hitch.

There are some folks who drive a GT like a bat out of a cave. I am sure that kind of riding is enjoyable (especially if you have the skills) But these riders will also tell you they tear the sheettautta their tires inside 4k. The wear burden on those tires has to also reflect high demand on the engine and tranny. It would interesting to collect info on driving style and mechanical problems to see if there is correlation there.

Be that as it may, between my RTs and my GT, BMW makes the sheetiest transmission I ever had. Japanese bike are much smoother and so is the GL. Even the freaking Trophy shifts better than the GT. When it comes to the driveline slack and tranny shifting: Shame on you Mother Beemer for cutting corners on the tranny of such fine moto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page