Right side pocket temperature monitoring., - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 12-08-2015, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Right side pocket temperature monitoring.,

After having a problem with bad recordings from my Innovv C3 camera, which lives in the right side pocket, I finally picked up a cheap indoor-outdoor thermometer with high-low recording. (Getting hard to find the wired versions these days) I placed the outdoor sensor in the compartment, hanging loosely away from the sides.

I took it out for a short run today. Ran to a store, then stopped for dinner, Maybe an hour overall, with two parking lot sessions, and lots of waiting at lights. Outdoor temp was in the high 60's

Recorded range was 58 - 91 deg. F. In the summer, sometimes the recorder unit is uncomfortably hot to hold, so it's definitely getting into the 100's in there. I'm either going to have to add ventilation or find another place for my electronics. (I definitely would not put my phone in there.)

I'll have to wait for hotter weather to see what the really high end is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 12-08-2015, 06:15 PM

Garage
That pocket gets way to hot for most electronics no matter the fact BMW built it for that purpose. When I first got my GTL 4 1/2 years ago I put my iPod in it. The iPod would stop working after 30 minutes to an Hour as it was over heating. If I left the door open while riding it got enough cooler air to keep the iPod from over heating & stopping. I tried my android phone once & it did the same even with the door open. I would find a better place for your electronics. A thumb drive for music is the only thing I know will work there.

Steve Shreeve
2012 K1600GTL
post #3 of 26 Old 12-09-2015, 06:25 AM

Has anyone tried or tested the right hand pocket for temperature? Was thinking of putting a usb socket in there to charge my iPhone whilst on the move....I've got a thumb drive in the right hand side and that seems to work well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 12-09-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_F View Post
Has anyone tried or tested the right hand pocket for temperature? Was thinking of putting a usb socket in there to charge my iPhone whilst on the move....I've got a thumb drive in the right hand side and that seems to work well.
Yes, I registered over 105 degree, it gets even hotter when you shut down the bike and no air flows over, just slowly rising engine heat.

2014 BMW K1600GTLE EXCLUSIVE
2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL -SOLD-
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
Smokin'
post #5 of 26 Old 12-09-2015, 10:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_F View Post
I added a usb power port to the right pocket then ran a usb cable from it to my Handle bar bag. I also ran a audio cable to the handle bar bag so I can listen to Pandora from my phone. I can now charge my phone while listening to it or charge anything that used the mini usb plug.

Steve Shreeve
2012 K1600GTL
post #6 of 26 Old 12-09-2015, 04:51 PM

I'll stick my Igrill in there next spring and check it out

The iGrill2 Is The Pro Connected Grilling Thermometer From iDevices
post #7 of 26 Old 12-09-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
After having a problem with bad recordings from my Innovv C3 camera, which lives in the right side pocket, I finally picked up a cheap indoor-outdoor thermometer with high-low recording. (Getting hard to find the wired versions these days) I placed the outdoor sensor in the compartment, hanging loosely away from the sides.

I took it out for a short run today. Ran to a store, then stopped for dinner, Maybe an hour overall, with two parking lot sessions, and lots of waiting at lights. Outdoor temp was in the high 60's

Recorded range was 58 - 91 deg. F. In the summer, sometimes the recorder unit is uncomfortably hot to hold, so it's definitely getting into the 100's in there. I'm either going to have to add ventilation or find another place for my electronics. (I definitely would not put my phone in there.)

I'll have to wait for hotter weather to see what the really high end is.
FUGU
Same issue
C3 camera cable is long enough to run back to battery compartment, I put the camera their along with running power cord up to right pocket USB connection, solved the over heating issue
post #8 of 26 Old 12-09-2015, 06:45 PM

I tried to use my iPhone in the pocket when I first got the bike. With in half an hour it overheated.

Strangely, my iPod mini has lived in there ever since. It's in a Poly carb case that use to have a tactile gel coating on it. It melted off a couple of years ago. The iPod has never missed a beat, even when a recent trip had air temperatures over 110f.

"Enterprise" 2011 K1600 GT

The ultimate outback tourer.
post #9 of 26 Old 12-09-2015, 09:55 PM

Medium rare

My iPod worked ok last summer as well and this was in Kansas, Nebraska, Montana, etc on the way to the rally in July. Thought that I would try my Android after that but it didn't fare as well. Not sure when it shut off.

On a brighter note, instead of wrapping a burrito in foil and setting it on the carburetor, you can microwave supper going down the road in the right compartment and cook to perfection!

BMW K1600 GTL-E
Yamaha YZF1300
Honda Goldwing
Kawasaki KZ650
Honda 500
Honda 350
BSA 441 Victor
post #10 of 26 Old 12-09-2015, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T6pilot View Post
FUGU
Same issue
C3 camera cable is long enough to run back to battery compartment, I put the camera their along with running power cord up to right pocket USB connection, solved the over heating issue
I'm about to buy the Innovv K1 dual camera system, and will put the recorder under the seat, on top of the battery. I'll take a long ride tomorrow (weather permitting) with the remote probe in the left side pocket, and the base (indoor) unit on top of the battery, so I can get a high reading from both locations before I buy the K1.

Note: For a good review of the K1, see Techmoan - Techmoan - K1S - The first Front & Rear Hidden 1080p Dash*Camera It's the same unit, with the exception of the waterproof camera housings and shorter cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page