ANOTHER Extended Warranty Thread: XtraRide - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 03-25-2016, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

ANOTHER Extended Warranty Thread: XtraRide

I have seen several posts about extended warranties. Mostly Zurich, which has favorable reviews; a few on Foremost (which I had - but never had a claim). I saw ONE where a guy had asked about XtraRide - but no one said anything regarding their experience with this one.

So, my question is this: Has anyone had any claim experience with XtraRide?

It's the one my dealer is trying to steer me towards, and I have never heard of them. So far, the only rave review is from the dealer trying to sell me....

-Brian
RIP CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga.
MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017; Nashville, 2019
'13 GTL-P Dark Graphite Metallic (3/27/13 Build Date)
IBA #31242 MOA #136148
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-25-2016, 10:28 AM
cdc

Garage
What are they asking for premium / coverage?

ⓒⓓⓒ - Camilo D. (kah-MEE-lo)

'13 K1600 GT - Apr. 5/13
'12 K1600 GT Gone Nov 16/12 - https://tinyurl.com/cdc-crashed
'06 FJR 1300AE Sold
'04 Suzuki SV650 Sold
'82 Suzuki 500GS Sold
'78 Yamaha SR500 Sold

post #3 of 17 Old 03-25-2016, 11:44 AM

I signed up with XtraRide last week on my '13 GTL. 48 months @ $1,250 with $25.00 deductible purchased through Atlanta BMW. OEM warranty expires in two weeks. Hope I never need it but .....

Dave Thompson
Northwest Georgia
2013 Dark Graphite K1600GTL #2
2013 Dark Graphite K1600GTL (Totaled 4-2-14)
2009 Black K1200LT (sold)
1972 Yamaha XS-650 (sentimental favorite, still runs great)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 03-25-2016, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djthompson_43 View Post
I signed up with XtraRide last week on my '13 GTL. 48 months @ $1,250 with $25.00 deductible purchased through Atlanta BMW. OEM warranty expires in two weeks. Hope I never need it but .....
Proves that there is some wiggle room..

My dealer quoted me $1,549 for 48 months (total 7 years), but has $0 deductible. This was for XtraRide.

I did hear from Blue Ridge Powersports. They are still offering Zurich 84 month unlimited miles ($0 Deductible) for $1,495.00.

-Brian
IBA #31242 MOA #136148
post #5 of 17 Old 03-25-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallzee View Post
Proves that there is some wiggle room..

My dealer quoted me $1,549 for 48 months (total 7 years), but has $0 deductible. This was for XtraRide.

I did hear from Blue Ridge Powersports. They are still offering Zurich 84 month unlimited miles ($0 Deductible) for $1,495.00.
In that case it is a no brainer. Stay with the tried and true Zurich but do not buy it until your factory warranty is about to expire. It makes no sense to buy something 3 years before it would possibly be needed.

It is obvious their sales commission on the XtraRide is much higher.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-25-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
In that case it is a no brainer. Stay with the tried and true Zurich but do not buy it until your factory warranty is about to expire. It makes no sense to buy something 3 years before it would possibly be needed.

Well, you can get a 100% refund on the extended warranty until the very last day of the initial warranty, and then after that, you can still get a pro-rated refund.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-25-2016, 03:43 PM

Garage
Have Xtraride on my motorhomes. They have paid well.
Hallzee and kutch like this.

Roland
"The Eyes of Texas are Upon You" except those in cages talking on the phone, texting, reading newspapers, applying makeup, scratching their n*ts, ................................................

15 GTL (looking for a new home)
16 R1200 GSA
17 CVO Limited
18 GTL
post #8 of 17 Old 03-25-2016, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post

My bike is a '13, and I have about 6 months left on factory warranty, so I'll be pulling the trigger soon.

-Brian
IBA #31242 MOA #136148
post #9 of 17 Old 03-25-2016, 07:20 PM

I just bought a new '15 GTLE from A&S and they swear that XtraRide is great. I'm really leery about the warranty since my engine blowup and subsequent fight with Western Service (McGraw). They eventually paid out, but not until the dealer went to bat for me. I haven't heard from anyone about XtraRide's service and also couldn't find anything here about them, so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping they are better then what I just came from. I must say, they have the cheapest rates for coverage, make sure you get the added tour coverage (covers bags/Bluetooth & stereo) for $150.

2015 GTLE
2017 Yamaha FZ-10
post #10 of 17 Old 03-25-2016, 08:51 PM

The "Extended Warranty" business is littered with examples of the pump and dump strategy. Sell hard, collect premiums, pay handsome sales bonuses and once claims start rolling in close up shop and start a new company.

XtraRide has been around a long time in the RV business and they had a pretty solid reputation but that looks like it may be changing. If they did not reserve enough capital to handle incoming claims they could experience some issues. Below is a recent (August 2015)experience of an RV policy holder.

It used to be extra ride was expensive "but worth it". I now am convinced that is not so true and it is evident they have had management and or policy changes.

One year ago they were wonderful. They approved each item as we got to it and called in from the shop, same as it had been since 2001.just excellent.

Then three months ago they gave me some hassle on my satellite.

This time they would not approve a single item until all the parts all the numbers and all the estimates on all seven repairs, including the repairs from the subs (new dash air compressor, V pod for the engine, leveling sensor from HWH) all had Time for repair estimates with all parts and parts numbers. Every last bolt and nut in price on all seven Repairs MUST be approved before they will give an" "authorization number". actually it is a total of three weeks now and I still do not have The "proceed" authorization number.

Due to the complexity of the leveling system HWH could not and what not give an estimate until they "tore into it". So their Final written estimate was anywhere between one hour so $75 dollars and a complete new system $6000. So I dropped this one, will pay myself, and then try to go back and collect.

Extra ride also takes all the parts and looks them up themselves to see what the cost might be which took an additional couple of days. They found no problem there. Then they said they were going to send an inspector out and we have been waiting four days for the inspector.

The shop which is a premier shop in Rv capital of the world (Elkhart) has never had a problem with extra ride. They commented my extra ride had been excellent for years but now is making it as difficult as other warranty companies in the industry. This is particularly true if you have multiple repairs. They were told by extra ride the inspector may take up to "48 business hours" to visit. I guess That could mean up to six 8 hour days!

Currently they have held me up for or at least eight of the 10 days (Two weeks in service) with BS and cost my shop guys an additional nine or 10 hours of time and tied up their bay. I am not even sure my shop will continue to accept them, but may go to the "we will call extra ride but you pay us and they pay you format" that format many shops use on the lower level warranties.

I might just be a fluke on me this time? But any reader of this piece should consider whether they wish to pay the extra premium extra ride charges for their service.

I have been had this with homeowners insurance also after a severe storm and here is how I plan to handle extra ride. They will pay what they offer to pay, I will then pay the difference, I will then take them to small claims court which is your right. The contract says you must go to binding arbitration but this is simply "not true",

Last edited by bmac; 03-25-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page